69 Chevelle watch

This is the first forum. We'll figure out if we want more.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

MostMint

69 Chevelle watch

Post by MostMint »

markss327

Old cars I've owned

Post by markss327 »

WOW, I had a '69 SS 396 Chevelle in high school. (1974-'76) Blue w/white hood strips, white interior. - A pain to keep clean. Bought it with a bad cam and a cooked th400, for $500. Replaced the cam, and traded the 400 for a Muncie (sp?) close ratio, bell housing and flywheel. Bought a new pressure plate, clutch, and throw-out. Peddles and linkage came from Herbs Auto Wrecking - Remember Herbs? 306 and 20?

That was my first, and only big block.
I'm having flash backs...
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I like the big block one. Looks like a pretty good deal too...

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/864602704.html

Priced right, decent look....

-BP
Noisy Cricket

Post by Noisy Cricket »

Had to come back to this thread to see if it was one of our customers' cars here. We just got a beautiful blue '69 in, SS396 with four-speed. (And manual steering, UGH!)

The story as I understand it is that it was a decent 427 mill under the hood, but when the owner bought it it turned out to have some issues. Something inside was knocking like it wanted out. Not horrible, but not something you would want to just ignore.

It's going to be significantly larger than 427 when it goes back together :)
Blue_69_malibu

getting closer

Post by Blue_69_malibu »

Just thought that I would take a quick moment to update every one on my Quest. the most recent candidate was:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0271895547

this was a clean, unmolested survivor located in PA. it got up to $7,500 on eBay. I offered $8,500 cash after the auction was over. seller wouldn't budge from $10,200. i haven't heard back since.

color kind of stinks, as does the 307/powerglide combo.

however, factory black interior was immaculate, car had no rust, engine compartment was already detailed. all this car needed was a 350 small block, TH 350, and possibly a rear end change at some point. would have made a great starting point.

this is what i'm really after. i've got the $$$ saved up and am hoping that something comes my way btween now and february, 2009.
Blue_69_malibu

this one hurt

Post by Blue_69_malibu »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0281504312

For those of you that may remember my original Malibu, you can easily see why I was "jones-ing" over this car, even though it was 700 miles away in MN.

350V8,TH400, non-posi 12-bolt, factory buckets & console, lemans blue w/grey underneath. the drivetrain, color, and condition were perfect. i practically had the black vinyl top ordered.

short version of soap opera: car was owned by an older guy who was not computer savy so one of his buddies listed the car on ebay for him.

no bids were placed w/a starting price of $14,700. i offered lister $12,500 assuming everything checked out when i inspected car upon pick up in MN. seller was apparently holding out for 14k. another bidder came up from iowa and supposedly offered 13,500 which was rejected. after all of this took place over severl weeks, seller had to move/leave MN for Colorado over Labor Day weekend and sold it to someone local for $12,000.

what can you do? just keep on keeping on, me thinks.
Blue_69_malibu

'69 in West Park

Post by Blue_69_malibu »

http://vi.ebaydesc.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB ... 0264005369

car was on ebay as well as Craig's List. not many takers.
Blue_69_malibu

This One's Still Available...and near Canton, OH

Post by Blue_69_malibu »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0293985720

this one is somewhat intriguing. frame and body appear solid. it is a CONVERTIBLE. is apparently a 350/TH350/open 10-bolt.

however, seller admits that paint is pretty rough in person and needs a repaint. interior seems to have been done half-ass in car's original restoration. seller also states that he thinks motor may need a new set of rings...so i've got to assume a rebuild is necessary.

supposedly, ebay winner showed up and didn't want the car after seeing it in person. car lot will "take" $15k for the car. my thought is to maybe stop by after 11/01. i can't imagine convertibles will be flying off the lot in northern ohio this time of year. would $10k get me the car?

my biggest concern is that if car is really, really rough and the motor is shot, how much of a money pit could this be? a $10k starting price plus a repaint plus a new interior plus a new motor AT A MINIMUM gets expensive really quick.

my current thoughts are that i'm better off finding a sollid, unmolested car like the green one in PA in the $8,500 or so price range. but this car is near by and probably worth a look.

good news is that this is the best time of year to be looking to finally land something. i'll keep my fingers crossed.
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

With the economy tanking and the days of loose lending behind us, prices on collector cars are way down. Now would be a great time to buy.

assuming you don't want a project, I would say the most important thing is to make sure the car is already done. If you have to spend on a few odds and ends thats OK but trips to the body shop are expensive and can be frustrating too. If its already done then you can see its good before you buy it. If you care about performance make sure its close to your expectations when you get it.

And the watch continues ...
Blue_69_malibu

Post by Blue_69_malibu »

Right you are, Most Mint. Current economic condiitions are relatively sucky. As a result, there has been a noticable drop in what these cars are selling for lately. Waiting so damn long may have its benefits - however unintentional.

A wise man put me into the "get the car as close to done as you can" mentality two summers ago and I thank him for it. I'm not really worried about the drivetrain too much - although I'd like to avoid the dreaded 307/powerglide combo if i can. lemans blue would be great but i've opened up to a lot more color choices these days.

i'm being picky with the frame, the underneath, body panels, doors, and the interior. this is stuff i really don't want to mess with down the road from a $$ and time perspective. fortunately, there are a lot of '69 Chevelles still floating around. something will eventually pop for me. it's just a matter of when and how far i have to go to pick it up.

like Joe Dirt says, i've just got to keep on keeping on!
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

Matt Sutter
Blue_69_malibu

Post by Blue_69_malibu »

wow - that appears NICE & CLEAN. the other guys will mock me but i'm not a big fan of manual trans in these cars. largely b/c my operator technique sucks. but that is really nice.

i've been watching something comparable in NC but the seller needs to learn that the market is substantially different than 2.5 years ago:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... &viewitem=

i've been watching this since march. it got up to 23k fist time on ebay. then 21k second time on ebay just prior to 04/15/08. he had it on traderonline all summer for 27k. it went back on ebay in sept and oct. - only hitting mid-14s both time. this is a car that will sell for just under 20k (at most)...kind of like that car in fla.

thanks for the heads up!