1969 Impala road test

This is the first forum. We'll figure out if we want more.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

MostMint

1969 Impala road test

Post by MostMint »

See what Car and Driver thought of the Impala in 1969:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePisYhvNmF4

At the 5 minute mark it really looks like the rim is on the ground from cornering. It's a big block car with a 19+ second 1/4 mile - and thats before the low compression cars post 1970.

I guess the "good old days" might not have been that good.
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

19s does seem slow for a 396 2-bbl, even with 2.56 gears. "It has lights that could tell you just about you'd want to know. They should have one, though, to tell you it's moving."

That has to be about the worst handling car I've ever seen. For anyone who doesn't know what understeer is, they should watch that video. Watching it hustle through those S-curves was amusing.
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

How easy to make fast though. Dual exhaust, a four barrel, and a 3.2x gear and that car would be in the 15's without thinking, if not in the 14's. I do love the Impalas. I was looking at Impala's before I bought my Vette...This is probably why I like the Caddy so much, it's like a fancy Impala (with a bigger motor).

-BP
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

It is true that you could easily "wake up" that car. A 4 barrel, headers and duals would go a long way with a big block.
markss327

Post by markss327 »

'Couldn't push it's way thru a wet Kleenex....' sad, but true :roll:
What do ya figure the CFM was of the two barrel carb? 350? 5000lbs on Goodyear 'Polyglass' bias belted tires, and probably under inflated at that. I was waiting fo a tire to blow. 3.23s or 3.42s and a Quadrajet would have made all the difference in the world.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
Noisy Cricket

Post by Noisy Cricket »

Rolls Knardly! Rolls down one hill and K'nardly make it up the next.

What were they thinking putting a 2bbl on it? I doubt anyone bought one with economy in mind.

Sad thing is, C&D is too scared to point out flaws in cars anymore. Or, for that matter, test cars that 90% of people drive. It's great that they do endless comparos of hyperluxury cars, or tuner specials, or exotics, but let's see tests (individual road tests, yes) of the common cars that people drive.