89 Corvette Mostmint #39

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

MostMint

Re: 89 Corvette Mostmint #39

Post by MostMint »

Finished up the interior wiring for now. Made a nice little bracket to hold the low coolant sensor and did some wire looming and organizing in the back. It looks pretty good. Also took a few minutes and reinstalled the fuel tank door.
D8A7F178-15DD-42A2-9374-639790ED16AF.jpeg
0957CF4D-D8DC-4C2A-BD8D-519ECA4DD888.jpeg
For the interior, some upcoming to do items
- fabricate brackets/install the Longacre rear view mirror
- fabricate/install GoPro mounting bracket
- fabricate/install covers for ABS compartment and soon to be battery compartment
- paint a lot of the roll bars (still have a few more places to weld that won't want paint yet)
- passenger seat bracket fab and install

Other to do items - near term
- calibrate the TPS and test drive the car
- fix the low coolant light
- fabricate brackets to hold external engine and trans oil coolers
- install the modified shroud with new radiator and coolers and plumb the lines
- fabricate supports and plates for side door bars in back
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Found the brackets I started for the passenger seat. Started mocking it up and noticed some problems with seat positioning - cannot get it as far back as I want using the stock studs without cutting the seat for access to install the nut. Must contemplate next steps here - might be to get another seat. I can't use the stock seat belts as the roll bar blocks the bolt hole for the should belt attaching point.

Calibrate the TPS following the instructions I shared on BP's Vette thread. Note: raising the connector end raises the resistance and vice versa.

I also connected a wire to the rear latch so I don't have to reach all the way back there to open the hatch.

Test drove the car. I think it might challenge a stock L98 for like the first 60 feet but the truck heads and cam just don't wind up at all. Also this might be the first time I drove this car in warm weather. The heat off the transmission tunnel is noticeable - just a regular street drive and the highest temp I got off that tunnel was 125 degrees. Some kind of heat insulation is going to be very necessary for any type of extended summer driving with this car.

Edit: ordered the 7/16” Delrin rod as suggested in the video to fix the pop up headlights open/close system.
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Earlier this year I fit the heavy duty radiator into a spare shroud I had acquired. It has been patiently waiting for me to finish the work and install the other coolers. With the car running I decided to tackle this project next. I fabricated a frame from 1/8" x 3/4 aluminum bars to attach in front of the radiator inside the shroud - and with a little help from Cut N Paste and his TIG welder it is assembled. After that I drilled all the holes to attach the frame to the shroud.

Also the coolers needed attached to the frame. For the trans cooler I riveted small 90 degree tabs to it with small holes in each to bolt it to the frame. For engine oil cooler I expanded existing holes in the end supports to fit a 1/4-20 (oops meant to do 10-24). For each I then placed them on the frame and drilled the holes to align.

I also determined the top tranny line into the radiator is the supply from the transmission. Since I plan to chain the stock cooler and the aftermarket cooler together I will put the aftermarket one second in the chain. With this info I started fabricating the line from the trans cooler out to the aftermarket cooler in. I had also made a drawing and figured out all the fittings I need and picked up the few that I did not already have in inventory.

I'm contemplating using some type of metal piping for the oil supply and return lines as well to limit the risk of damage to the lines under the hood. It's kind of busy on the driver side and I will have to navigate around the power steering, alternator, the main shaft of the steering column, and the exhaust. I still have some figuring to do on this part.

The overall plan would be to get these coolers in so I can try them out at a track day yet here in 2022.

Also, Fred32v was over and got to work on painting the roll cage. A lot of the bars had surface rust so that needed cleaned up, we had to remove a bunch of stuff from the interior, and lots of taping. We got the bars primed but only one side painted. I chose color matching red for the paint, which I was getting in 8 ounce aerosol cans. Well its now like $16 per can and they go fast, so we didn't have enough to finish. We have to make some decisions about painting the interior - as the primer overspray got on a bunch of the floor, and there are a couple rust spots on the floor. I am not able to find any reasonably affordable color matching paint - I'm seeing acrylic lacquer for close to $400 per gallon. I have some lacquer that is the correct color so that may be the option, or I can explore other colors that are much cheaper such as this acrylic urethane from Summit https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-up303g I'm hoping I can at least see a sample of this in real life to tell if its close enough.
IMG_8023.JPG
-BP[/quote]