1997 Saturn SL2

This is the first forum. We'll figure out if we want more.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

GMJohnny

1997 Saturn SL2

Post by GMJohnny »

So the car search ended a couple of weeks ago with this 1997 Saturn SL2. It's a 1997
with 78,000 miles on it. It's pretty clean for a Cleveland area car. The cool thing about it
was the guy who sold it to me put new exhaust, brakes and some nearly new tires on it.
The only issues it had were 1) leaky valve cover 2) windshield wipers that went on whenever
they wanted to 3) headliner that was completely falling down.... Last Wednesday, Fred32v and
I went at it repairing the issues. The prior Wednesday we took a trip to Pull-a-Part and picked
up the parts required to do the necessary repairs. First the valve cover. The dude snapped a
hold down bolt in the head when he replaced the valve cover gasket. It leaked pretty heavily
from where the bolt was broken. Fortunately, no drilling was required to remove the broken
bolt. I was able to unscrew it with a small screwdriver and a hammer, tapping it out. I replaced
the plastic cover with the more desirable aluminum cover found at the yard. Oil leak stopped!
We replaced the wiper motor with minimal problems. It's a pretty easy job. We had the linkage
180 degrees out and the wipers would stop straight up, but 15 minutes of contemplation and
a few turns of the hold down nut repaired that issue. The headliner was repaired with new Wal-
Mart material and some spray glue. I purchased a headliner from the yard, but the trim on the
doner car was different than the trim in mine and it didn't fit. Fred and I did some minor touch
up cleaning on the old liner, removing the foamy crud before laying down the new material. I
had about an hour into clean up of the liner before Fred and I attacked it. It was my first ever
headliner repair and it turned out perfect.... I drove the car to dinner last night in Chardon and
came home without any issues..... it seems to be a decent car for $2400 and a couple of day's
labor.... Time will tell.... I'd like to remove the factory aluminum wheels and opt for steel wheels
and hubcaps. I will keep my eyes peeled for them in the future.

GM
wxo

Re: 1997 Saturn SL2

Post by wxo »

Hey, what a team! You two do good work. The car looks really nice in the photo.
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Now we need pictures of the new (older) aluminum Cam Cover
and the snazzy new headliner. A fun and rewarding effort.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

There's plenty of steelies at the pull a part, but no caps anywhere... I'd stick with the alloys. If they're leaking, bring it over and we'll break them down, clean the beads, and put 'em back together. No more leaky.

Not many decent cars out there for $2400, especially with the low miles like that one has. Go get a trans filter for it. It's a spin on just behind the driver's headlight. You can get to it (carefully) without removing anything. I'm sure it's never been done.

-BP
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Basement Paul wrote:Go get a trans filter for it. It's a spin on just behind the driver's headlight.
Something about Saturns I did not know.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]