Cash for clunker engine disable.

This is the first forum. We'll figure out if we want more.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

markss327

Cash for clunker engine disable.

Post by markss327 »

I feel faint, and somewhat ill... :( :( :( :(
Warning, It hurt me, to watch this.

http://jalopnik.com/5327580/video-how-t ... unkers-car

Although, the story is a good read.

Edit-
Same vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waj2KrKYTZo
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

I REALLY hate this program!!! Its only a Volvo but still, someone who needs transportation to find/keep a job could have used that car.
Maverick
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

I have driven plenty of clunkers in my time. Never once did I do that to any of them, even if they were going to the yard. Seems like a terrible waste. That car was clean! Demo derby would have been a more suitable use for that car than that death. The government needs to hold a cash for clunkers demo derby, winner gets car for free!!!!
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

I couldn't even watch the whole thing. WHAT A WASTE. How do you recycle the engine now? What they shoulda done was crush ALL the cars in ALL the junk yards and then send these cars to the junk yard for recycling not just crushing. That woulda been better I feel. But what do you expect from our government. The pool of good used cars just took a BIG hit, I have a feeling the autoparts industry (NAPA etc) just took a big hit to. Not to mention repair facilities. Way to go......... BIG GOVERNMENT.... WOOT..............

As side note in GA we have an Ad Valorum tax for car tags. A 2009 is probably several hundred dollars I think my Avalanche is like $450 and a clunker might have been $75. Just wait till all these people buy tags in a year in Valorum states. There's 10% of your "rebate" you'll pay back to the state. No such thing as a "free lunch".
Matt Sutter
Maverick

Collision insurance

Post by Maverick »

Not to mention the difference in the cost of collision insurance between and $3000 and $30,000 car.
Maverick
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

In case you couldn't tell I'm for SMALL GOVERNMENT.
Matt Sutter
VeeDub

Post by VeeDub »

What a waste. That was definately not a "clunker". I hope the owner enjoys his new "enviro" friendly gas sipper. I figure it would be more kind to the environment to keep a car like that on the road, than maybe - the impact of manufacturing new car. Just think about all the pollutants released and energy that is used in raw materials manufacture, assembly,shipping etc. etc. I'm not a tree hugger but in the long run that can't be more beneficial.
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Perfectly good logic - but there is precious little logic in government.

If there was they would force the big trucks to convert to natural gas or electricity. They travel alot more miles and burn much more fuel. It would be much easier to target pollution there than in cars that average 12000 miles per year. This might actually be cheaper for the government than cash for clunkers and provide more environmental benefit, and it would create jobs to mine more natural gas here.

I am not even going to start on health care and balancing the budget or other atrocities of inefficiency like NASA.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
markss327

Post by markss327 »

I feel the CfC program should require you buy an AMERICAN car.
I'm don't wana start an argument about Hondas and Toyotas being built here in the states by American workers, its the profit from those Hondas and Toyotas, going back to Japan, that I have an issue with. :x
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

VeeDub wrote:What a waste. That was definately not a "clunker". I hope the owner enjoys his new "enviro" friendly gas sipper. I figure it would be more kind to the environment to keep a car like that on the road, than maybe - the impact of manufacturing new car. Just think about all the pollutants released and energy that is used in raw materials manufacture, assembly,shipping etc. etc. I'm not a tree hugger but in the long run that can't be more beneficial.
Plus the load on the environment to dispose of the still-servicable cars.
Maverick
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

MostMint wrote:Perfectly good logic - but there is precious little logic in government.

If there was they would force the big trucks to convert to natural gas or electricity. They travel alot more miles and burn much more fuel. It would be much easier to target pollution there than in cars that average 12000 miles per year. This might actually be cheaper for the government than cash for clunkers and provide more environmental benefit, and it would create jobs to mine more natural gas here.

I am not even going to start on health care and balancing the budget or other atrocities of inefficiency like NASA.
I don't think plug-in electric car& trucks make sense. Where do we build all the additional power plants to supply all that electricity? If the additional plants are burning fossil fuels they're dumping CO2 anyway. HALF of the generated electrical energy is lost in transmission lines.
Maverick
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

markss327 wrote:I feel the CfC program should require you buy an AMERICAN car.
I'm don't wana start an argument about Hondas and Toyotas being built here in the states by American workers, its the profit from those Hondas and Toyotas, going back to Japan, that I have an issue with. :x
YEAH!! If the government were business-oriented they would have done that to advantage the govt'0wned and car companies.
Maverick
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Maverick wrote: I don't think plug-in electric car& trucks make sense. Where do we build all the additional power plants to supply all that electricity? If the additional plants are burning fossil fuels they're dumping CO2 anyway. HALF of the generated electrical energy is lost in transmission lines.
Scrap the electric idea then - natural gas engines make a lot less pollution and a much bigger impact could be had by reaching the heavy hitters (trucks)
-BP[/quote]
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Just in.......

Democrats, realizing the success of the President's "Cash For Clunkers" rebate program, have revamped a major portion of their National Health Care Plan.
President Obama, Speaker Pelosi, and Sen. Reed are expected to make this major announcement at a joint news conference later this week. I have obtained an advanced copy of the proposal which is named....
"CASH FOR CODGERS"and it works like this.... Couples wishing to access health care funds in order to pay for the delivery of a child will be required to turn in one old person. The amount the government grants them will be fixed according to a sliding scale. Older and more prescription dependent codgers will garner the highest amounts.
Special "Bonuses" will be paid for those submitting codgers in targeted groups, such as smokers, alcohol drinkers, persons 10 pounds over their government prescribed weight, and any member of the Republican Party.
Smaller bonuses will be given for codgers who consume beef, soda, fried foods, potato chips, lattes, whole milk, dairy products, bacon, Brussel sprouts, or Girl Scout Cookies. Of course, the codgers must have been insured for the last year to qualify.
All codgers will be rendered totally useless by pouring a toxic solution down their throats. This will insure that they are not secretly resold or their body parts harvested to keep other codgers in repair.
Maverick
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

LOL.

As if we need a stimulus package to get people to do that.
-BP[/quote]