10-12-2010, Dragway 42

Information about upcoming races, swap meets & shows

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

TireSmoker
Site Admin

10-12-2010, Dragway 42

Post by TireSmoker »

After a disappointing time last Friday at 42 with the Chevelle, I met up with Ken and Brian at 42 tonight for another round of test-n-tune. But this time, I brought the SS, and Ken and Brian brought theirs too. 3 black '08 SS turbo's. Mine and Brian's are stock, Ken's is modified.

I got there pretty early and on my second pass set a new personal best of 13.80 @ 102 !! I ran a 13.85 right after that, and on my 4th pass, starting line guy told me I needed to get a helmet. Good thing I brought mine. :-)

But wait, there's more! As the night wore on, I made several more passes, including a successful pass to join Dragway 42's 100 MPH club, stickers and all. My qualifying pass was a crummy feeling 13.98 @ 101, so I decided to make another and pulled out a 13.75 @ 102! New best. Made one more pass, but missed a shift.

At this point, I've probably made 8 passes or so. I decided I've hammered on it enough for one night. Then Ken asked if I'd wheel his car down the track.

I don't know everything he's done to it, but I think he changed the charge piping, cold air intake, added a 3" downpipe and full cat-back exhaust and is getting around 30lbs of boost. He also has HPTuners for it, along with a real nice sturdy mount for his laptop. He's done a lot of modifications to the tune, playing with the torque management in 1st and 2nd gear to limit wheelspin. It is still a real handful to drive, pulling hard, torque steer, overpowering the tires frequently. Ken just asked me to keep doing hot laps till I could get a good launch, hit all the gearshifts, etc. Ummm.. ok! Twist my arm. I probably made another 8-9 passes in his car, running a best of 13.62 @ 108. This car has a lot more in it, but it is really tough to drive consistently.

This was Brian's second time the track with his car and was annoyed that he couldn't get it to run a 13. He asked me to take it for a pass. Umm... ok! My first (and only) time down, it ran 13.89.

On my own 8 tickets, I had two .02 lights and an .06. I only lit one red-light, in Ken's car, but I wasn't pushing the tree every round and they were all time runs No gamblers or eliminations. I used the launch control feature on all passes. With Ken's HP tuner, he was able to lower the lunach RPM to about 3500 from the stock 5100.

Between the three cars, I probably made 20 passes tonight. We ended up being there till they closed at 10pm. It was a great!

-Dave

14.06, 13.80, 13.85, 14.04, 13.90, 13.98, 13.75, 14.09
Basement Paul

Re: 10-12-2010, Dragway 42

Post by Basement Paul »

13.75 @ 102.... that's awesome! Bone stock... that's bad ass. What a sleeper!

-BP