Drag Week

This is the first forum. We'll figure out if we want more.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

markss327

Drag Week

Post by markss327 »

http://www.1320video.com/dragweek.php

Just to participate and complete, would be a real achievement.

Any thoughts?
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Interesting but not too likely I would have that much free time. Once the son is old enough to be into that could change - but that is probably at least 5 years off.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
markss327

Post by markss327 »

As I'm sitting here, fantasizing about this five state, five tracks, Dragracing event, I'm trying to figure out the finances that would be required. If like 2005, starting in Kansas, and finishing up in Maryland, Ohio is about in the middle. And the third stop is in Columbus.

Figuring two days to get to Kansas, five days of traveling and racing, and two more days to return home form Maryland, yields 9 days, on the road.

Entry fee for Hot Rod Mag = $150 - updated to $225
Eight nights of lodging @ $100/night = $800
Nine days of eating out @ $100/day = $900
Fuel for 2500 miles @10mpg @ $2.45/gal = $613
Misc exp = $500
-------
$3k using nice round numbers....

Sponsorship and parts:
My thinking is that the following stores will offer the listed parts in return for some sort of advertising, be it a magnetic sign on the doors of your car, or what ever... Then, at the end of the journey, the unused part are returned.

==============================================================
Napa:
Water pump
Fuel pump
Belts
Hoses
Fluids - oil/trans
Oil filter(s)

Buckeye Electric:
One wire alternator (as currently used in the Nova)
Hi Torque starter

U Haul:
'Sport' Trailer

JDs' Hitch works:
Hitch and receiver

=============================================================

Parts and tools

Spare tires 4x
Small - med size tool box

That's about all I'd be willing to fix/replace on the road. Should a major malfunction occur, it's a call to Uhaul, and have 'em come out with a drive on car carrier, and return the 'Sport' trailer, and cruse on back to good 'ol Ohio.

.... I probably should have stopped after calculating the three grand.
Last edited by markss327 on Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

I would think AAA would be your insurance for flat tires, alternator malfunction etc. Still not a significant reduction in expense.

You should "assume" that the event would be over if there is a major breakage, rather than carry all the spare parts.

Oh yeah honey I am going racing for 9 days and it will run about $3K if nothing breaks... Say that out loud to yourself before you tell her.

Though it would be fun if I could bring my Trans Am to the final. Would they actually put a picture of it in the mag? Fun but still not worth $3K.

How about this alternative: Buy a set of heads and go racing at a local track 30 times (run points for a season?)

heads: $1500
entry fee: $20
gas: $30

50 X $30 = $1500
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
markss327

Post by markss327 »

It would take a serious internal engine, or drive train failure, to justify a tow home. The spare parts listed would be easy on-the-road fixes. As for the 150lbs of parts, I'd carry that in a heartbeat.

Now, for the wife, "Honey, I have a vacation idea....."
It would never fly. :?
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

markss327 wrote: Nine days of eating out @ $100/day = $900
What are you eating?? You're spending 50% more on food than fuel. If you're talking $100/day for more than 1 person, that's different, but I'm assuming that you're flying solo, as your wife doesn't even go to Thompson and I'm guessing Danny is a little young. If more than one of us went, (each with our own car), there could be further savings on hotel.

Umm.. when is Drag Week next year?

-Dave
markss327

Post by markss327 »

The meal allowance was taken from the expense report I use here at PCC. The max allowance for meals is $100/day. But re-thinking the meal finances, here's my thoughts. Some hotels offer a continental breakfast = free. Lunch will probably have to be on-the-road = fast food. Dinner should be a sit-down event. Taking frugality one step further, one could pack a medium size cooler with PB&J, and lots of Bologna. This could EASILY cut the $900 original figure, in half.

By 2007, I should have the 700r4 installed. An in dash AM/FM/CD radio will be a must. I’m sure by day three of this event, the beautiful drone the mighty SBC, will get old and annoying.

Hot Rod Magazine is the 'sponsor' for the event. I eMailed the Editor, last Monday or Tuesday, inquiring about the dates, actual tracks, fees, and if they're gona limit the number of entries. As of this writing - no response.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
markss327

Post by markss327 »

-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI