TRP Test n Tune

Information about upcoming races, swap meets & shows

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

TheRookie

TRP Test n Tune

Post by TheRookie »

I think the next 4 Saturday's. Is anyone going? I'm not sure I can do this Saturday but I am dying to give the bimmer a whirl.
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I still need to get my tires balanced, but otherwise, I'm ready to go. I'm going to try to do that on Friday.

I have to work on satuday's and don't get home until after 1pm, but would probably make an afternoon run out to get some numbers.

-BP
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

I really want to go but not sure if I'll make it.

-Dave
TheRookie

Post by TheRookie »

BP: When is your next Saturday off? I could try for this Sat afternoon but not sure with the projects I need to wrap up.
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

My next Saturday off is our Carlisle trip, so I won't be able to go in the AM. I know they run until about 5pm usually on Test n Tune. Tomorrow it's supposed to rain in the afternoon, so we're probably screwed. Not to mention I'm coming down with some head cold that I'm thrilled about.

I did get my tires balanced today too. It'll probably have to wait until next Saturday though. Hopefully it will be cooler too.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I did make it out to TRP yesterday after work. Sadly though, I forgot to put my battery charger on the car Thursday when I was putting the tires and and sure enough, when I went to start it, it barely cranked over. Despite my better judgement, I jumped the car with the truck, and drove it out to the track, hoping the drive time would charge the battery enough for a few starts. Sadly, hoping doesn't start a warm big block with too much timing very well, so I ended up borrowing a guy's jumper box to get it restarted.

But I wasn't going to go home without making a couple passes, so I left the car idle with the hood open too keep the temps down. After idling for somewhere around 25 minutes or so, I got my best pass of 12.56 at 106.00 mph and a 60' of 1.70. All things considered, I thought that was OK. It was probably around 62 degrees when I made that pass, so with a little cooler outside temperature, and some cool down time, I'm sure I'll be in the 12.40's and closer to 107mph.

Good things were that the tires worked well both off the line, and on the top end. The front suspension didn't fall apart. And my bumpers didn't fall off. I think that might have been my best pass ever, so I'd say that's not too bad.

I'm going to give it another whirl next Saturday after work, and this time, hopefully it will start by itself.

-BP
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Basement Paul wrote:I got my best pass of 12.56 at 106.00 mph and a 60' of 1.70.
Ruh-roh. I can see I have some work cut out for me when I get home. Your 60' is almost a tenth better than my best.

Good things were that the tires worked well both off the line, and on the top end. The front suspension didn't fall apart. And my bumpers didn't fall off. I think that might have been my best pass ever, so I'd say that's not too bad.
Sounds like a great start to the season -- best pass ever and nothing broke. The battery is just a minor inconvenience.

-Dave
VeeDub

Post by VeeDub »

nice!
Fred32v

TRP 04/17/10

Post by Fred32v »

This was my first chance to hit the strip in 2010. The STS-V, after a 2 day all out effort,
was detailed to the 9's ready for the summer. Arlene12v said it might get snowed on if you take it racing.
Will I was only able to get two passes in before it snowed enough to call-off the Tst-n-Tune session.

ImageImage

The second pass was my best ever ET and my best 1/8th mile ET and MPH.
As a point of interest, my best ever 60' is 1.9015 and my best MPH is 106.298.
There was a stiff breeze by it was accross the track. I can only imagine what could
have been if the traction were there and the wind directly down the strip.
Also, how was it that the 1/8 mile MPH is greater on the second pass but the 1/4 MPH
was off by 1 full MPH. I'm thinking a wind gust at the wrong time.
I can't say the car has never been in the snow again, but I won't mind washing it,
it was worth it. As always, TRP was great fun!
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

THAT is impressive!! So close to the 12s ya gotta find a tenth somewhere.
Maverick