406 Update

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

markss327

Post by markss327 »

Thanks for freshening my memory.
Any tanny shops any one of ya'll would recommend, or ones to avoid?

My current th400 was done at Chardon Transmissions, back in the late 80s' I've always questioned exactly what they did...
I'm hoping I can trade the 400 and a 'little' cash for the 700r re-build.
I'll use the existing 700r converter.

For now, the little 600cfm stays.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
markss327

Nova 2009

Post by markss327 »

Well the little Nova is now in storage at my Moms. Time to get both my daily driver and the wife's minivan in the garage. This will be a first for me since.... oh, maybe 1984 or so. I do rememberer my Jetta getting in the garage at the old house.

Last time out at the track, I realized just how squirrely this car can get at 100mph. Not to mention 60 series tires on the front didn't help matters any.

It seems like ANY modification I wana make from here on, is gona be over a grand$.

- Tubular control arms, both upper and lower, are $675 just in parts. Add in an updated idler arm (roller bearing) and any misc sundry parts, + an alignment, it's a grand. Update to a rack and front steer, you can double the above. Add in a new steering column, and... oh, forget it.
- 700r4 - I have a working core. Add in a healthy re-build, TV cable, updated or new drive shaft, and modified or re-located cross member, it' a grand. That's using the existing converter.
- Heads. Anything new will be an improvement here. Currently have 1.94\1.5 at 76cc. Basic mid 70s 350 heads. For a grand I could get iron 2.02\1.6 at 65ish cc's, and something with around 200cc intake runners....

My, on again\off again, desire to sell her, is off. She's out of sight, and temporarily, out of mind... No real concrete plans for 2009.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
markss327

Dead battery

Post by markss327 »

With the temps in the 60s, and after 10 or so weeks in storage, I swung by my moms, thinking I'd fire up the duce. Nope, dead battery. I should have pulled it when I parked her, but I didn't. I pulled the battery, and brought it home. Got a 6amp charger going, and I'll probably let it run overnight.

We'll see what the weather permits
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
markss327

Post by markss327 »

With the weather warmming up, and the weekend comming up too, I fired up the Nova, Thursday evening tooled around for over an hour, and now Friday, I drove it to work.

I kinda missed the ol' gal.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not sure a new Mustang would give you that same feeling. Test and Tune at TRP April 4th. :lol:
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
markss327

Post by markss327 »

-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
markss327

Post by markss327 »

-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

markss327 wrote:May trade for this...

http://detroit.craigslist.org/cto/1059972745.html
Curious why you want to trade?
markss327

Post by markss327 »

I dono. Call it mid life crises... Call it what ever ya want.
I think after over 20 years I'm entitled to be tired of a car.
I'm going to be loosing my storage of all my parts, i.e., my mom will be in assisted living. Hence, the house I grew up in, the same where mom still is at, will eventually be sold. With that, goes the 2 1/2 car garage, home to my accumulated pars. I just don't have the space here at my place. Sooo, in an attempt to be pro active, I'm clearing out my stuff.

The trade was an impulse, but still looks pretty danm nice.
My first Thompson car was a '78 Nova - Ask BP about how I learned to 'work' the finish line...

So far, two inquires, and one wants to trade a Harley... :roll:
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

I had about five different Harleys I could have traded for my Vette. Trouble is all were worth less than the Vette. After a while I put "no trades" in the ad, and fewer Harley offers came in after that. I think Harley Davidson started producing more bikes about 5 years ago and it is sinking the value of the used bikes, so be careful before you trade for one.

I assume if you got the newer one it would cost less than what you get from the current one.

I'm asking because I struggle with this all the time. Can't decide what I want to do. Part of me says I could spend my time and effort making the SS faster. Part of me says I should do the work on the TA to get it the way I want. The SS is fast and I can enjoy it every day - any work I do on it will be to make it faster, not make it operable. The TA is a long way from that. With the family and other interests creeping in there is less time for the car.
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

If I can chime in and give my two cents, I will. What I found was that tinkering was really fun when I had lots of time to do it. I don't now.I have never lost my desire for speed, though. Turn key is a really nice thing and there are plenty of cars out there that are, and for not a ton of money. Current technology is also nice. Factory performance now is incredible and extremely drivable. Ask tiresmoker, fred32v, basement paul, etc.......When I sold my Oldsmobiles, I thought I'd feel terrible. It was just a new beginning & a fun one. Good Luck!!
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Although that newer Nova is nice, it's not worth near what yours is. If you were going to do that, sell yours first, then find one after. I'm thinking if you sell your Nova, get out of the old car biz altogether and get a newer Mustang GT. Stick or auto will get you a high 13 sec car with all the driveability and performance, and none of all the spare parts laying around. Then, for not a lot more money, or work, you can make it about as fast as the Nova, and not give up your driveability or mileage.

Injection IS nice...

On the flip side, BIG motors are really cool, and nothing can replace that big block sound. That's why I have two of them... (really three, but I'm selling one).

-BP
markss327

Post by markss327 »

Thanks for all the feed back. I couldn't help but notice, the senior member of the clan has not chimed in... yet. Well, he doesn't seem to be a GT fan anyway. :)
32v, if I may, at what age did you 'can' all the 455 Olds's? Just looking for fuel to add to my mid life crises theory.

MostMint- My motorcycle days have passed, I politely declined the offer. Besides, I was Jap bike kinda guy. Big in line 4s.

GMJohmmy- I still like to tinker. But it's frustrating to look at the little Nova... It's just that she's ready for some big buck mods, heads, 700r4, and front end stuff.

Then there's the family time constraint. B-Ball is over, now it's hockey, Scouting is still lurking in the background too. Family vacation is April, Grand Canyon - 8 days. Anyway, I'm now interested in finding a '99 - '01 Jeep Cherokee, (XJ). It's all WXOs fault. Nellie Belle.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

I think everything that can be said already has. Actually, your own point of "I think I'm allowed to be tired of a car after 20 years." really registered the most with me. That seems like perfectly good rationale. I don't believe the title has anything like "till death do us part" written on it.

GMJohnny's point about tinkering, while still being fun, but not having as much time to do it is also valid. I remember thinking I would be bummed when I sold the El Camino, but not long after it was gone there was a sense of relief, as I went from two project cars, down to one, and I was able to park my daily driver in the garage again.

I'm at the same point with the Chevelle -- it needs some big money put into it to make it nice again, regardless of how fast it is. It has been sitting, hardly touched since I took the heads off in November. I just have other priorities right now. It's no secret that all my wrenching on it the past few years has worn on me a bit. So, it sits.

When we all acquired our cars, back in the late 80s and early 90s, the modern stuff wasn't real good and it was relatively easy for all of us to build something cooler/faster in our garages. So, we did. Today, we're in the new golden-era of performance, and our cars are now 20 years older. The new ones are easier to get parts for, are generally more comfortable, and deliver better mileage. What's not to like? Except for mostmint and mark, we're all driving factory forced-induction cars. low 14/high 13 second cars from the factory are the norm. How cool is that???

I would agree that your Nova is worth more than the '77 big-block. Not that it isn't cool, but as BP said, sell yours, get the cash, buy the big-block, and bank the left over cash. From a financial standpoint, that's the smarter way to do it. With all the parts you have to sell, you oughta hook up with Mostmint, as I think he's planning on getting another vendor spot at Canfield this year. Ice!

In the end, this is a hobby. Do it in a way that makes you enjoy it, even if that means taking a break from it. If you dread going out to the garage because it just reminds you of something else that needs to be done to the '63, then unload it. Or, just leave it sit for a while. Or get a newer 'Stang. They're all good options. With all that said, I'm always amazed at the amount of motivation/rejuvenation provided by a good open-headers burnout at TRP.

-Dave
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Well put, Studster...

-BP