406 Update

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I can think of a couple other cars that would be willing to help you "join the club". One '79 T/A, and an STS-V would make good candidates. I would think there's a Chevelle that would be ready for that too...

-BP
markss327

More Money

Post by markss327 »

The exhaust is done. It's quiet, but is appropriately loud when romped on, but man did I get hosed on the price. I supplied an 'X' pipe 'kit', and new mufflers. I needed 'em installed, and tailpipes bent up to go over the axle. $406.00. Yeeeeoooowwwww. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
I will admit, the quality of craftsmanship is there, but sheeesh, my back pocket still hurts.

Marks exhaust, probably the third or fourth one...
Let's calculate:

$135 JR Headers and shipping
$78 Summit 2.5in universal 'X'
$98 Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers (2x)
$406 Fab tailpipes and labor to install everything from the headers back.
$717 total.

Man, I hope this puts me in the 12s. :roll:
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

If the work is done correctly, I would think that's not TOO outrageous. If he did a crappy job, then I'd be really ticked. Did you get cutouts?

-BP
markss327

What cutouts?

Post by markss327 »

After reading your post of what cutouts did for you, nope.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Cutouts make a huge difference on my car, but I only have a 2.5" system.

-Dave
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Yeah, my system is three inch from the headers, and dumps out at the axles. If I had a complete system, I'm sure it would have helped more. Either way, it wouldn't take too much to add them if you decided later on to do it.

-BP
markss327

Post by markss327 »

I spent about an hour packing the Nova, getting everything that I think I'll need, for racing. Being a small car to begin with, both slicks won't fit in the trunk, not with the battery back there too. So, one's in the back seat. Floor jack and 4-way are secured under the lone slick. Got a milk crate on the front seat floor, with two qts engine oil, a gal of Dextron, two gallons of water, and a funnel. A duffel contains about a dozen combination wrenches, misc screwdrivers, pliers, extra 5/16 and 3/8 line, and clamps, two extra belts, timing light, Eldebrock carb kit, and MSD chips.

OK, now I miss the AV and trailer... :roll:

Lookin' for 12.90s.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
Fred32v

Rats

Post by Fred32v »

Then it rained! :( Maybe next week.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
markss327

Post by markss327 »

Yea, it rained. It's still raining... :roll:
Shootin' for July 2nd.

Had to put new shocks on the front. The drivers side was binding up! Unknown reason. No visual damage, or leakage.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

It's now July 3rd... did anything happen last night?

-BP
markss327

IHRA

Post by markss327 »

Still at 13.0s and 100mph.
I went out in the second round, ran a 13.21 :roll: on an .06 dial. My opponent went 13.45 on a .44 dial. Although I had a better reaction time, It wasn't enough. First round I was on the brakes at the top end. Last time run prior to eliminations was 13.11

No more starvation though. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I've looked into my little 600 (1405) Edelbrock, and reviewed my cal kit. I'm as fat as I can go. I've got a lead on a 1407, 750cfm to 'borrow' and tune if needed. I dono if that will pan out.

I'm planing in hitting it again this Wed.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

That bigger carburetor WILL help. I didn't realize you still had the 600 on it. That's too small. The 750 will be at least .3 without any real tuning. That's ALOT of cubic inches for only 600cfms.

Glad to hear the starvation issue seems to be gone.

-BP
markss327

Got Oil?

Post by markss327 »

It's been well over a thousand miles since her conception, and now she's (the 406) developed an appetite for oil. In two runs out to TRP, 12 or so passes, and some street driving, (approx 300 miles total), she's sucked down a little over a quart. It's all going out the tail pipe. They're (the tailpipes) actually wet. I've gota believe it's the top end. This is the third engine for these heads. I've changed out the oil (Casteroil 10w-40), with some Pennzoil 15w-40. This is API CJ-4 and SM rated. The CJ-4 is a Diesel rating, and we should know the SM stuff. Maybe that will help.

First order if business will be replacing the umbrella style valve seals. Cheep and relatively easy.

That Mustang GT is looking better and better all the time. 8)
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
markss327

Time this

Post by markss327 »

The oil consumption has been accepted as it's just the way things are gona be. Oh, well.

On a tuning note- all along the total advance as been at 34 deg. until a week ago. I change the cap and rotor and got a bit aggressive, and set her to 38. The first *romp* told me it was toooo much. Lots of ping! Now she's down to 35. I also went a click lighter on the springs as to get full advance a tad sooner. I still need a trip to Thompson at this setting, and in cool air. I would like to see 12.90s all day.

I'm thinking this winter - doing the 700r4.

BP, re-fresh my memory on the tranny I got from your brother?
Something about the 2-3 or 3-4 being off.
And - the converter????

I'm now, officially, over the hill. My AARP card is in the mail....
They say the memory is the first to go, and heck, I can't even remember what I had for breakfast.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

The tranny you got from me was working but could probably stand a rebuild. It made it through the gears fine but the shifts were not that sharp. It was a junkyard tranny and I used it for racing for a while. I was starting to make enough power that it was real slow on a shift, but I can't recall which one. If the converter is blue then it will probably stall around 2000 RPMs.

The tranny that did not make the 1-2 under power was a rebuild from Gardner that had gone wrong. I'm pretty sure there were too many unknowns in that one which is why you did not get that one.

Put a bigger carb on it. It'll gain you several tenths a lot easier than the tranny.