Proposed New Ohio Law

This is the first forum. We'll figure out if we want more.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Maverick

Proposed New Ohio Law

Post by Maverick »

This is a post from the Mav/Comet Forum.

If you live in Ohio please read and sign.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/automo ... durban-law

The bill is presented as a law to crack down on street racing by introducing new, stiffer penalties, and creates a new charge, "Street
Racing Manslaughter". While I am all for stiffer penalties, the law also includes an expanded definition of "street racing" that includes:
Sec. 4511.251.(A)(1)(c) Any exhibition of speed or acceleration that is inconsistent with the normal operation of a vehicle on a public road, street, or highway.

This leaves so much room for interpretation that a law enforcement officer could easily arrest and jail a person EVEN IF THE DRIVER HAS NOT VIOLATED ANY CURRENT LAW. The simple act of speeding up to pass a slower vehicle, or accelerating harder away from a light than absolutely necessary, or taking a corner or turn harder than an officer feels is needed, can now be considered to be "street racing" as defined by this law. The potential for abuse is horrendous, and this law MUST NOT be allowed to pass with this section included.

The new Bill would also REQUIRE the seizure of any vehicle involved in "street racing", with no sentencing discretion given to the courts.

The summary of the bill that is given to each Representative or Senator:
http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/anal ... -i-128.htm

The Bill as written, with full legalese intact: http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/Bill ... 1_I_Y.html

I don't condone street racing but to have my car taken because some law officer was having a bad day isn't gonna happen. I'll die before they do that.
Maverick
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

Vague laws to impose on our freedoms? From the government? Say it ain't so?

Just wait for all cars to have GPS sensors that will automatically send you a speeding ticket.
Matt Sutter
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

ttamrettus wrote:Just wait for all cars to have GPS sensors that will automatically send you a speeding ticket.

OnStar, anyone?

I saw some stuff posted about that law on one of the bike sites I visit. I think it has passed in the Ohio House, but is stalled in the Senate, at least as of a couple weeks ago.

-Dave
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

I hear the OnStar is pretty easy to disable. The second thing a car thief does is cut the Onstar wire. Otherwise it's just like LoJack.
Matt Sutter