Plugs and Gaps

Post links that are good for reference material

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Maverick

Plugs and Gaps

Post by Maverick »

Some of you might find this thread in the Maverick Forum interesting. http://mmb.maverick.to/showthread.php?t=62386
Maverick
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Plugs are pre-gapped and you only just check to make sure they were not damaged in transit. However, Hutter Automotive has GMJohnny gapping his plugs tighter than the stock recommendation on his Vette and his Supercharged Regal. I don't know the exact numbers, but I thing the Regal GS went from something like .060 to .045 and GM really liked the results. I not sure exactly why, maybe GMJohnny could expand on this.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
markss327

Post by markss327 »

It's my understanding, the more cylinder psi, (via hi compression, boost, or lots of ignition advance) the closer the gap should be.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

I liked this comment by the expert
Large plug gaps came into vogue with car makers in the late 70's and early 80's. The thinking is that the larger flame kernal would help get better emissions. Most automakers now use .030 to .040 gaps today. Even the LS series engines went to .040 after initally calling for a .060 gap. Large gaps tend to "blow out" the spark under high compression and boost. In any high perfoamnce engine, you should run the biggest gap you can that does not cause mis fires under load. From personal experience with ford performance engines, boosted engines run best around .025-.030 and high compression engines run best around .030 to .035
Maverick