GMRP re-opened

Information about upcoming races, swap meets & shows

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

TheRookie

GMRP re-opened

Post by TheRookie »

That is, the "Gates Mills Raceway Park" AKA that stretch of Rt 322/Mayfield Rd. It's been a while but they are done with construction. Just last night I was coming out of the valley doing 60 in a 45 in a pack of three cars in the left lane only to have someone blow by us at 75 in the right lane. It's good to see that things are back to normal. I've had more races in that valley than anywhere else and I know plenty of folks on the board have as well.
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

I drove through that valley to work everyday. Great fun.
I always liked playing "First one to the narrows".
The majority of my speeding tickets are from that hill.
Too bad they didn't install the light at County Line road until I retired. :wink:
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
AKROVER

Post by AKROVER »

Even I have raced a few different cars on that stretch. You can also get a challenging left turn start to a race off of River Road, second car gets inside lane. I usually drove Wilson Mills to River to Mayfield on my way home when I worked in Collinwood. Had the Audi at that time.
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

GMRP! Hahahaha! I noticed they had finally opened all the lanes back up a couple days ago, but still had barrels sitting in the median. I think they still have the 35mph signs up too. Of all the places I've been pulled over, surprisingly, I've never been nabbed there.

I remember racing a 5.0 mustang in my Chevelle with my dad in the car when I was still pretty young. He never said anything, but I could tell he was grabbing the seat and sort of bracing himself. VeeDub and I had a pretty good run a few years ago against an older hippie looking guy in a 911 with a license plate that said "Smokn" or something like that. My first time taking the Chevelle out to TRP after the EFI upgrade (or was it the new heads?), I had a real good run against a 30th anniversary T/A and I was able to pull him, even with my slicks and jack in the trunk. My most recent run was against a Caddy like Fred32v's old Eldorado while I was in my Cobalt, coming home from one of Mostmint's poker games. Good times!

And just for VeeDub's sake, there was a time when I'm pretty sure Datillo blew (or seriously hurt) the motor in his Monte Carlo when Schuster and I ran him with my Chevelle using the nitrous. Big Al probably chewed his ass for that too! :-)

-Dave
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

I was fortunate enough to travel that "race track" many times myself. I had many a run on that hill. A good one that comes to mind was a guy who had a new ( probably 2 yrs old ) Grand National who, as the light was about to turn green, signaled me to take the jump. Mistake. His turbo 3.8 was no match for my 6.6 litre Oldsmobile. That was just one of many. GMRP was/is a wonderful place.
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

That hill makes racers out of people who arent racers. It's great. I can't remember too many specific runs, but there were lots of them, even in some of my slowest cars. A Nissan Sentra SE-R made the mistake of giving me the jump from the light in my stick shift Grand Am, and it took him til just about the top of the hill to go by me heading west. Imagine the punishment "the hill" does to the internals...

-BP
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

I had many good runs on those hills, but one night after working very late, about 2am,
I was going home in my 1978 Blazer (350, headers) and out ran a 1980 Ford Sedan
who was trying to pass me. Eventually at about 100mph he was being left and gave up.
Then he turned on his red and blue lights. To this day I believe we were racing, he let me go! :)
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

It wasn't that hill but a hill on 87 coming out of Burton, i was racing Paul and I spun a rod bearing. We raced a lot from Kent Geauga --> home as I recall.

I remember an MG wanting to race me in my GN but the traffic wouldn't let him. He had a nice little V8 emblem on his grill. That woulda been fun.
Matt Sutter