TRP's last hoorah... (again)

Information about upcoming races, swap meets & shows

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

wxo

Post by wxo »

I was meaning to post the stats on that run, but have been quite busy lately. But now that you brought it up:

Reaction: .0338
60 ft: 2.25
330 ft: 6.08
1/8 ET: 9.13
1/8 MPH: 80.99

I'm still not gettin' it done as a driver. This time, after getting a good start and hitting second gear OK, she was winding out nicely when I glanced down and saw a red light so I shifted into third. Wrong red light! I gotta change the color of the light that lets me know when the line lock is activated. I shifted too soon. I really wanted more runs to redeem myself, but it was packed with cars that night and there were loooong waits in line. I'm gonna try to get back one more time before they close for the season.
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Well Tiresmoke was at TRP on their last day of the season.
First breakfast at Spinner's then onto TRP in a small parade.
It was sunny, serious cross windy, and low 50's to start the day, eventually high 60's.
Tiresmoke had his little SS run its' best numbers yet, I think 13.80's, wow!
GTJeff had his Grand Prix GT (series III) into the 15.96 over 85mph.
BP was in the mid 12's all day. I had my Red Truck.
This time I only had a quarter tank of fuel and shifted manually.
It ran its' best numbers to date, 15.93 et at 89.21 mph. For you guys in Raleigh,
the 1/8 mile time was 10.35 et at 68.89 mph. I don't have the 1/8 times for the other guys.
Notice the Red Truck was slightly better that the GT but close runs.

ImageImageImage

BP and I were in the Gamblers Race. Both lost in the third.

ImageImageImage

As always, TRP was great fun.
Last edited by Fred32v on Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

What a great day for racing. How many times are you going to complain about it being too warm to put up good numbers in November?! As we left breakfast, we noted it wasn't as cool out as it should be for best times.

I finished changing the oil on the SS sometime around 1am on Saturday morning. Also put in a fresh air filter (no, not a K&N) I was determined to get another 13 second pass, so out came the spare and jack and all the other misc junk. When we get to the track, I knew it was a good omen when I got card #70. (ever since I got the chevelle, i've been a goofball about the number 70)

I've played a little with the launch control now and had an idea of how to properly use it, so I was anxious to try it out with numbers to back it up. I lowered the front tires to 24, and had the rears around 37-38. I pulled in for my first pass, enabled the launch control, floored it, and released the clutch -- perfect traction, giving me a 2.08 60-foot and giving me my best ET ever -- 13.83 @ 102 mph. I was real happy. I could've gone home after the first pass and been content.

Next pass, I moved to the pit lane, and for some reason, it wheel-hopped, giving me a 14.18 (against the blue '10 Mustang in Fred's pics). Third pass, I moved back to the spectator lane and got another great launch, 13.89 @ 101. A fourth and final pass netted a 13.92 @ 102. No missed shifts all day.

-Dave
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

The picture of the 'bird launching there was a .005 reaction time... I couldn't believe it came green! Not pushing for ET's, I was running 12.50's-low 60's all day and working on my lights and consistency. In the third round I fell asleep (kind of distracted by the setting sun on the tree), and cut a .12 light to the competitions .01. Too bad too as I ran a .61 on a .59 dial. An .05 light would have won me the race (the light I had in round two).

Karder's GT was able to get a 15.96 (his first time down the track in his own car). 'Smoker's SS got to 13.83 using the factory launch control.

TRP is planning to run next Sunday, and if they're open, I'll probably go again.

-BP

Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Here is a video of one of BP's runs this November.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28JYGBtm ... re=channel
Always fun at TRP! :)
Fred32v
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

TireSmoker wrote: I was determined to get another 13 second pass, so out came the spare and jack and all the other misc junk.

-Dave
I'm a dummy. While cleaning up the garage last night, I couldn't find the spare. I got the jack out of the trunk, but, sure enough, the spare was still in there. Thinking back, I had put the owners manual and other literature in the trunk well and started reading it after pulling out the jack, but before returning for the spare.

-Dave
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

You'll have another chance to redeem yourself and maybe get into the 13.70's this Sunday. Weather has a high of 61, but I bet it will be COLD early. I'm going...

-BP
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Basement Paul wrote:You'll have another chance to redeem yourself and maybe get into the 13.70's this Sunday. Weather has a high of 61, but I bet it will be COLD early. I'm going...

-BP
Best I could muster today was a 13.98. I just couldn't get the traction I was getting last week.

How'd you do in the gamblers race?

-Dave
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Basement Paul wrote:You'll have another chance to redeem yourself and maybe get into the 13.70's this Sunday. Weather has a high of 61, but I bet it will be COLD early. I'm going...

-BP
Best I could muster today was a 13.98. I just couldn't get the traction I was getting last week.

How'd you do in the gamblers race?

-Dave
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

My first round was great! I cut an .01 light and ran a 12.59 on a .58 dial which was necessary as the competetion cut an .03 and ran a 10.63 on a .62 dial. Pretty tight race.

Round 2 I spun away my victory on the line. I think my tires are shot as the last couple times out I've had a couple bouts with traction issues. I'm running a 255 - 60 15 right now, but the next set will be a 275-60-15. Both to give me a little more meat on the track, and to get a little more top end gear too as I'm out of RPM's in the traps right now.

I think I'm done racing with the Trans Am for the year though although TRP is supposed to race next weekend if the weather holds. I would consider taking the S-10 though.

-BP
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

My first round was great! I cut an .01 light and ran a 12.59 on a .58 dial which was necessary as the competetion cut an .03 and ran a 10.63 on a .62 dial. Pretty tight race.
Impressive!! A 12 sec car on 255s!! 255X60X15s are alleged to fit in the Mav wheel wells but I'm planning 235X60X15s to be safe.
Maverick
Fred32v

I Hate Computers

Post by Fred32v »

Went to TRP for one last trip. Very poor traction and temperature around 50 degrees with the air feeling like it might rain. Never did, but no sun so the track never really had any bite. I had a best past of 13.34 @ 105.65 mph. My first four lights were .01, .02, .03, .01. Then in the first round of the Gamblers Race I had a .12. Well the other fellow did a .22. Rats, the first to second gear change caused a serious fishtail and the computer though it was rescuing me and engaged the "Stability Sys Active" which cut the throttle back for a few heart beats and I was done. Like always, TRP is serious fun!
Fred32v