Mongrel HEI Dizzy

Post links that are good for reference material

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Racin'Jacin

Mongrel HEI Dizzy

Post by Racin'Jacin »

While rebuilding the spare distributor for my old Rambler I got off track and decided to convert it over to Electronic Ignition. I figured since it was a spare I might as well try it since I was VERY pleased having done this in teh past on another vehicle I had.

Long story short, I checked Ebay and found a Mopar NOS pickup & reluctor for a 6 - it was a little pricey but at 30 bucks a heck of alot cheaper than a Pertronix which I wanted no part of.

I'm only 1/2 done having mounted the pickup plate. Will work on adding the arm for the Vac Advance and once that is done I can work on machinig the cam lobe to press on the reluctor in the appropriate position.

I'll add in a pic when I remember how :-0

Racin'Jacin
Racin'Jacin

Pics!

Post by Racin'Jacin »

Before:
[img][img]http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/6236/66265151.jpg[/img][/img]

After:
[img][img]http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/9145/94812599.jpg[/img][/img]

In the end it was a fair amount of monkeying around - I gotta wonder if going all GM would have been easier or not.

I also wonder if it'd have been easier to just remachine a housing already set up with the internals I wanted.

In any event,

IT WORKS

I still need to make a mount for the GM module - matter of fact I still need a couple GM modules - I don't trust the aftermarket one I have on there now.

I'm also told I should be running a lower OHM coil - I may have to dig one of those up as well.

But I will say this - it does seem to run a tad better. We'll see.

Racin'Jacin
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Nice. It's not everyday that some converts their Rambler to electronic ignition.

I think this deserves the "tiresmoker of the month" award for sure.

What's next for the Rambler - direct electronic fuel injection?
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
Racin'Jacin

HEI

Post by Racin'Jacin »

Thanks!!

Actually I keep seeing those small roots blowers at the swapmeets CHEAP - sorta makes a fella wonder...............
MostMint wrote:Nice. It's not everyday that some converts their Rambler to electronic ignition.

What's next for the Rambler - direct electronic fuel injection?
markss327

Post by markss327 »

2x. 8)
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
Racin'Jacin

HEI

Post by Racin'Jacin »

The FUNNY part in all this was that after I got the ignition working I had the car running in the garage - keep in mind it's a 196cid six. Anemic would be a generous way to describe it. But amazingly enough with the better ignition I could actually squeal the tires - on the smooth garage floor of course - ha ha. It NEVER did that with the points dizzy. Now I'm not so goofy to think I just unleashed a beast, but clearly it appears to have made some improvement.
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Up next: MSD 8)
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]