TRP 7-15-2009

Information about upcoming races, swap meets & shows

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

MostMint

Post by MostMint »

The weather forecast is not horrible, just not optimal.

Still planning to make the trip

Like the new avatar Mark. I'm thinking maybe some action shots with your new toy would be a good permanent replacement.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
markss327

Post by markss327 »

I'm out...
Looking at the 22nd.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

http://www.weather.com/weather/hourbyho ... undeclared

40% chance starting around 7pm. Worth the gamble.

Also, call the track, 440-298-1350 to see if they're open if it looks questionable.

-Dave
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Had a great time at the dragstrip tonight. Mostmint, GMJohnny, BP, CaptainXS and I all made it to the track. And we all got there relatively early. Everyone brought daily-driver cars. So, we decided to enter the FWD class at the dragstrip instead of our usual Animal Class. With 16 cars in class, Team Tiresmoke.Org comprised 25% of the class. (CaptainXS missed eliminations) I had my ’08 Chevy Cobalt SS, Mostmin in his ’08 Chevy Impala SS, GMJohnny in his ’97 Buick Regal GS, BP in his ’99 Regal GS and CaptainXS in his twin-charged '02 Cavalier.

I got 4 time runs in, including -- 1 vs. Mostmint, 1 vs. CaptainXS, 1 vs. BP. The Cobalt won the SS showdown, but not by a lot. Going by time runs only, it was 14.09 vs 14.18.

I had two good time runs (14.09 and 14.10) and two terrible time runs (14.52 and 14.44), so I decided to hedge myself dial in the first round at 14.25. I was having trouble cutting consistent lights and launches. I also missed my 2-3 shift during my last time run and 1st and 2nd round elims, but I was still able to pull out the win each time.

In the third round, it was a double-breakout, and I ran 14.19 @ 86 on the brakes, with a .0062 RT and 14.25 dial-in, to his 16.61 on a 16.70 dial-in.

It had definitely cooled off a bit, so I dialed down 2-tenths to 14.05 for the final round, against an SRT-4 Neon dialed in at 14.00. The Neon was actually faster than that, but track officials wouldn't let him dial in the 13s since he did not have a helmet. He went 14.06 @ 101. I made my best ET of the night in the final round with a 14.07 @ 89 -- would've been a 13.x, but I was on the brakes. In fact, I was on the brakes every round. Brembo's work great.

Unfortunately, John and Andy both lost in the first round of eliminations. Paul and I made it to the semi-finals, but Paul just barely lost his race. But, I won my semi-final and final round races for the win. I got the trophy and a $25 gift certificate for Summit Racing Equipment. I wasn't expecting the gift certificate. Nice bonus.

MostMint wrote: We can have multiple awards: best ET, best MPH, best RT, best 60', closest to the dial, makes it furthest in eliminations.

Really the challenge is to race and win with the FWD.
I know someone had a 2.0x 60' and I couldn't beat that. Captain XS beat me on MPH, 101.62 vs. my 101.27.

Best ET: 14.07
Best RT: .0062 (3rd round of eliminations)
Closest to dial: 14.07 on 14.05 dial-in
And Winner (made it the furthest)

In Fred32v's absense, I tried to take as many pics as I could. GMIvy also shot video.

-Dave

(hey, I've been sucking at Andy's poker games this season, so at least I got a win here!)

wxo

Post by wxo »

Way to go, 'Smoker!! :D Nice job with that l'il SS of yours!

By the way, what is GMJohnny doing in that one photo with his back turned to us? :shock:
Last edited by wxo on Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

14.18 was second best ET
99.26 was second best MPH?
.031 was second best light?

If there was a category for best FWD smoky burnout, I think I would win that - too bad Timersmoker was the only one to see it. On my first pass I found a spot by the bleach box with low traction and smoked 'em up good.

Had a lot of fun but forgot to turn the traction control on in the first round and lost .2 in the hole. Too bad a .05 light was wasted.

There were quite a few Cobalt's there - actually surprised to see how many.

Considering the weather I was happy with 14.18 - a new best for the car, and a 2.12 60' - also new best.

I think I'll be able to race and win with this car - once I get a few more reps on the pre-launch routine.

Next time I'll bring a wrench so I can pull the left front headlight too.

GMJohnny will have to explain himself. The camera angle was bad so the true meaning of the picture is lost. Tinkling liquids were involved.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
markss327

Post by markss327 »

Nice job there Mr.Smoker! 8)
Launching a car (consistently) with three pedals, has got to be tough.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

It might be my first ever class win with a stick. UMTR, Here I come! :)

-Dave
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

wxo wrote:Way to go, 'Smoker!! :D Nice job with that l'il SS of yours!

By the way, what is GMJohnny doing in that one photo with his back turned to us? :shock:
I was draining an ice bag on the ground when I realized it was looking like something else. If the cameraman had the correct angle it really would have looked good. I posed for the shot, but it was melted ice going to the ground.
Captain XS

Post by Captain XS »

Wow Smoker, Way to go! I didn't know you got the trophy till i read this! Nice Racing!

Wish i could have joined you guys in the eliminations... But i totally lost my primary charge pipe, and there is no getting it back on without a jack and some busted knuckles. So i figured it was best just to hobble on home while i still had some daylight.

But dont you worry... I will be back again! Figured out why i kept blowing charge pipes. Going to work on correcting it this weekend and be ready for a "full-blown" run next week. (get it full-blown haha.. as opposed to half blown, as i lost my turbo about 1/3 way down the track on my first race. and had to hobble to a 14.75 with only my supercharger)

but considering I raced the nights trophy winner and I had a gawd aweful RT, and he jumped the light, and i still had a better 60' 330' and top speed... Even after missing my 2-3 shift, and blowing the charge pipe in seocnd gear, and coasting for a second or two while i tried to figure out what the hell just happened.... I would say short of some embarasment, and ego deflation, it was a promising first track run for my first ever self-built from oil pan up engine, first fuel injected project, first supercharged, first turbocharged, first twin charged, first front wheel drive, first computer tuning... etc... Basically I would have been happy if it fired up and ran for 14.75 seconds before grenading when i first turned the key... so to make a 14.75 @ 101.62 and i still was able to drive it home... I was happy with myself and my little black friend.

Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I saw your run XS, and it was UGLY. And to go 101mph still, I'd say there's a LOT of potential left. That car will be way into the 13's at probably 105-6 mph with one half decent pass.

I was satisfied with my 14.57. If there was even a little glue down, and the air was cooler, I think I could sqeeze out a 14.2x, but don't think I'll have this car too much longer. As soon as I get some spare time, I'll be cleaning it up and advertising it.

For now, I need to get the Trans Am back together so I can go racing and get back in the 12's.

-BP
Captain XS

Post by Captain XS »

Basement Paul wrote:I saw your run XS, and it was UGLY. And to go 101mph still, I'd say there's a LOT of potential left. That car will be way into the 13's at probably 105-6 mph with one half decent pass.

I was satisfied with my 14.57. If there was even a little glue down, and the air was cooler, I think I could sqeeze out a 14.2x, but don't think I'll have this car too much longer. As soon as I get some spare time, I'll be cleaning it up and advertising it.

For now, I need to get the Trans Am back together so I can go racing and get back in the 12's.

-BP
Yeah, ugly isn't even a good word for it.... I totally thought i was going to be like in the 19's after all that. So when i got my slip i was in major shock. Now i am REALLY dying to get things beefed up so she stays together and get back to the track and see what we can get out of her.

I am going out to the garage right now to finish up welding my charge pipes, And hope to have everything track ready for this wednesday... if anyone else was possibly interested...... :)