Drag racing on New Years Day at 42

This is the first forum. We'll figure out if we want more.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

MostMint

Drag racing on New Years Day at 42

Post by MostMint »

Anyone interested?

The animuL will be there if the weather is nice enough to allow a regular bracket racing program.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
markss327

Post by markss327 »

Hummmmmm.......
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Sunday calls for cloudy high of 41.

animuL looking for 16.70's, and a V6 Camaro to eat.
-BP[/quote]
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

It might be kinda fun to have a blown V6 v. 32v V8 shootout...

-Dave
MostMint

animuL results

Post by MostMint »

Man there were a lot of cars. Over 200 cars there today. I got two time trials. The first was a 16.64 @ 83.02 mph. I actually had to let off the gas to reduce the wheelspin on that pass. The 60' time was 2.49.

So I dropped front tire air pressue to 27 psi, and that did the trick. The second time it was warmer though and ran 16.65 @ 82.41 mph and a 2.38 60' time.

There was no more time for time trials after that. Racing started at 2:30. Along the way Dave and I learned that everyone would be running the 20.06 index, and then there would be a gamblers race if time permitted. So Dave came up with the delay count strategy. After some discussion we decided a 3 or 4 second delay would be needed right after tripping the timer, so you could run it hard to the end. This was the best we could do with no chances to test. Also Dave noted we should put the selector in low since the car would probably shift up a gear being light on the pedal.

Well after breaking the stage beam I tried holding the gas pedal just lightly, and then a four second count (1-Mississippi,2-Mississippi...). It almost worked. I ran 19.84 on the brakes, breaking out and losing. I had the guy covered by a good few car lengths and was on the brakes. I had too much faith in my untested system. Dave did better, I will leave that up to him to discuss.

Unfortunately there were too many cars in the index class and there was no gamblers race. Dragway 42 now has the LED tree also and will require some adjusting to for the animuL.

If I had the tires set right and the engine cool I think I could have made low 16.50's.

Racing on this day was a strange experience. 95% of the cars were everyday street cars, and the pavement in staging was wet. The track was not wet at the starting line but sure was even as you turned the corner to get onto the track.

We saw a couple 12 second cars, but we also saw a guy with a 4wd Chevy with his Myers plow on the front. Most people were getting up to speed then letting off the gas somewhere around mid-track and trying to slow down to 20.06.

There were no V6 Camaros to eat though. BasementPaul predicted I would not beat 16.87. The animuL must be lighter than the Camaro.
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

here are some pics

-BP[/quote]