2008 Cobalt SS

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

TireSmoker
Site Admin

2008 Cobalt SS

Post by TireSmoker »

That's right race fans, I pulled the trigger and did the deal. I'm the proud owner of a new 2008 Cobalt SS. It had 118 miles on it. Out the door for $19k with 4yr/48k mile bumper-to-bumper warranty from Pat OBrien Chevy in Westlake. I found the ad on Craigslist.

2.0 L Ecotec, turbocharged, intercooled, Direct Injection. 260 hp / 260 tq (at 2000 rpm!)
5-speed Cog-drive
18" wheels (nice wheels, huh)
small wing (not the garrish one from previous years, which is now optional)
Factory boost gauge in the A-pillar
Launch Control / No-Lift-Shift
Nice stereo with XM and factory Pioneer subwoofer in trunk
Power sunroof/windows/locks
Upgraded seats over regular Cobalt

There are all kinds of good reviews of these things out there. The biggest knock against them is the cheap interior. Yeah, it's not the greatest, but it's fine to me. There's a lot of good hardware for the money, though. There's a factory limited-slip that is optional, not sure if my car has it, but I dont think so.

It got dirty on my commute today, so no pictures yet, but it's black with very cool looking wheels.
Check this pic, same wheels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30UxICiLlss

This isn't mine, but click on the "more info" link to the right of the video. The guy wrote all his times from the track (the 10 second Vette is cool too!). Executive Summary: 13.66 @ 104 (bone stock, he says)

-Dave
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Sweet choice!
What can be done without voiding the new car warranty but still improve on the original package.
Can't wait to see this SS on the autocross course, right after you have drag stip numbers. :)

What's happening to the Grand Prix, was it part of the deal?
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
markss327

Nice Car

Post by markss327 »

Yea, where's the GP????

I see... a cat back, cold air intake, with a K&N, and a nice, clean, but slightly used used 'throw rug' in the back - for Annie.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

I still own the GP -- didn't trade it. My sister had a '99 GP (not supercharged) and when she went to trade it last year, they offered her something crazy like $1200. She got $2300 for it in a private sale. Mine is optioned better, but dented hood, ABS light on, check engine light on (emissions related), leaky exhaust.. I didn't even ask what they would give me because I knew I'd probably be able to sell it for more. I might hang on to it for an extra month, till the snow is really over, because the SS's tires are terrible in snow.

At this point, I have no intention of doing any mods, other than a cover for the back seat for Annie.

I'm excited to see what kind of numbers I can put down with this thing at the track, and Fred32v is right, I would like to try autocrossing it, or maybe even try a lapping day at Nelson Ledges.

-Dave
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

Hey, nice hot rod! Those numbers rival my vette's best. Quite impressive!!
In regards to the GP, my regal had the abs issue going on, the problem turned out to be a bad ground on the rt front fender area. (I found that some ohter regal owner had the same issue on the net ) Just about to take it to the shop & 3 cents worth of sand paper & 10 mins time cured the problem. Those things are the reason you buy NEW hot rods!!!
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

TireSmoker stopped by work yesterday and I got a look at the new SS. This thing is sweet! Huge Brembo brakes, sweet looking wheels, and the seats are killer. I know from selling them that the Pioneer sound system is awesome too, especially with the XM.
They also put a smaller steering wheel on these with a fatter leather rim for better grip. Cool.
That's a great way to get back an forth to work, not to mention (if you can keep your foot out of it) it gets mileage like the regular Cobalt. Even on a bad day (i.e. when you're beating the snot out of it) it won't get worse than probably 22 or 23mpg. NICE!

-BP
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

Smoker......Will you now change your "tiresmoker" logo to a left front tire instead of a left rear???
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Saw it last night before the poker game. Looks good in black, even better with cog drive. Too bad they didn't make the Impala SS with the cog drive.

It'll be a lot happier without the snow with those performance tires. Or in the snow with Blizzaks.
markss327

Cog what???

Post by markss327 »

OK, I'm retarded, what exactly, is 'cog drive'? :?
I only know of the term as it relates to supercharger belts, but the Cobalt is turbo.
I'm assuming it's transmission related...

Google only returned supercharger stuff.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
MostMint

Re: Cog what???

Post by MostMint »

markss327 wrote:OK, I'm retarded, what exactly, is 'cog drive'? :?
I only know of the term as it relates to supercharger belts, but the Cobalt is turbo.

Cog drive references the gears in a stick shift transmission - indicating the car has a manual transmission with a clutch.
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Re: Cog what???

Post by TireSmoker »

MostMint wrote:
markss327 wrote:OK, I'm retarded, what exactly, is 'cog drive'? :?

Cog drive references the gears in a stick shift transmission - indicating the car has a manual transmission with a clutch.
Which therefore increases a car's Chupposity. :-)
markss327

Cog this

Post by markss327 »

So this has no relation to it's 'no lift shift' capabilities.
I relate 'cog' to straight cut gears, (or straight teeth as in a blower belt\pulley) where as manual trans use helical cut gears.
Although, I believe big rigs may employ straight cut gears, but they not using any syncros, either. So, now 'cog drive' is slang any manual tranny... Yea, too bad the 5.3 SS Impala doesn't offer that option.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Maintenace:

7,261 miles

Oil change + filter, Mobil 1 5W-30, 5 qts.

-Dave
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Maintenance:

13,340 miles

Oil change + filter, Mobil 1 5W-30, 5 qts. Oil life indicator was at 33%
Air Filter

-Dave
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Re: 2008 Cobalt SS

Post by TireSmoker »

Guess I missed a couple maintenance entries..

At around 18-19k miles, the rear brakes required service. New pads and surfaced the rotors, performed by Pat O'Brien East. I was a bit miffed at having to pay $250 for a set of rear brakes at that mileage.

2/13/2011 -- 26,034 miles. Oil Change, Mobil 1 5W-30, 5 qts, Oil Filter.

New tires are on order from Firestone, and they are a deal at $340-something for the set. Current OE-Continental ContiSport's were shot several thousand miles ago, probably.

-Dave