Hot Rod Drag Week

This is the first forum. We'll figure out if we want more.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

markss327

Hot Rod Drag Week

Post by markss327 »

This sounds pretty cooool.
I can see us now... A Chevelle, Firebird, a couple of Caddys, and a Nova, rolling 'cross country....

http://hotrod.com/upcomingevents/113_0505_drag_weeks/
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

My guess is that in order to win this, they would have to allow me to submit 1/8 mile times against everyone else's 1/4 mile times - but that probably won't even be enough.

Now if they had a second category for best reaction time at each track, or closest to dial, or the combined of those two...
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

One of the guys on the Megasquirt site participated in Drag Week and was posting daily updates. They won the power-adder/SB class with a turbo'd 6.0 Chevy pickup running Megasquirt (low 10s). The funny thing was they won a FAST XFI fuel-injection system, which they promptly turned around and sold.

It seemed like a pretty cool event -- I guess there was a guy racing a factory '68 Hemi Dart (big $$$ -- estimated value at $200k??) and the guy that won overall was basically driving a pro-street '66 or '67 Nova, that I think ran in the 8s, and pulling a small trailer of gear between tracks -- on 87 octane. (not sure if he raced on higher octane, but at he least drove between tracks on 87)

-Dave
markss327

Post by markss327 »

Just to participate, and compete at all 5 tracks, AND make it home, would be a win for me !

There were a lot of DNFs. (Did not finish)
===============================================

I saw the Mega Squirt truck, and was impressed. If I recall, correctly, he toasted the rear dif, showing off at a rest area somewhere. The rear diffs are a weak link in this generation of trucks - my AV included. I think it's a 8 1/2 dia in size. I think for '07, this gets upgraded to a 9 1/2.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

You're right, just finishing would be an accomplishment. Sounds like it could be a fun way to spend a week's worth of vacation, that's for sure. I've always wanted to do the Car & Driver One Lap of America, but it's pretty expensive. This might be more affordable (and something I could probably do without a co-driver)

Hmm.. the daily driver class has a lower limit of 12.00 -- some new heads & cam, a 700r4... I could get it down there!

-Dave