Detroit Auto Show

This is the first forum. We'll figure out if we want more.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

TireSmoker
Site Admin

Detroit Auto Show

Post by TireSmoker »

With probably a month or so to think about it, would anyone be interested in heading up to Detroit for the day to check out the auto show up there?

-Dave
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

I would be interested if weather permits. I would have gone with Mark Heine last year but a snow storm stopped me. Mark says it's a great show. What are the dates? You and I are busy on Saturday the 7th of January due to the Chili & Wine thing. How about a week day, might be less crowded. Standing By.
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

January 14th (sat) thru Jan 22 (sun)

http://www.naias.com

It is a cool show, I've gone 3 times.

-Dave
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Mark H. goes to this show every year with his son Steve and friends. They are leaving his place (Mentor) Saturday the 21st at 7:00am. I think I might join them. He is planning to arrive at the show by 10:30am and leaving by 3:00pm arriving home about 8:00pm after a stop for dinner. Anyone want to drive or ride with me if we can't fit into Mark's vehicle? Or maybe we could get together and meet them along the way or ????
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

As I mentioned this afternoon, I'm game, and I'm willing to drive since I actually have a car that'll haul a couple people, comfortably.

-Dave
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Sorry I won't make this one. The concept Camaro looks good but not enough to get me up to Detroit to see it.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
Fred32v

Detroit Auto Show

Post by Fred32v »

TireSmoke and I drove to Detroit today (in a snow storm) and really enjoyed the show. We thought that a middle of the week day would have less crowding. I can't imagine the weekend being anymore crowded. It was worth the trip but parking during a business work day created a significant problem.
The presentation of the cars was far more elaborate than in Cleveland. The new Camaro prototype had the biggest crowd. The new Challenger looks really true to the 'Cuda spirit. Many amazing machines.

Image Image Image Image Image Image
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

I'd like to see the back of that Camaro if you have a pic.

That Cuda needs an 01 on the side 8)
-BP[/quote]
Fred32v

Detroit Auto Show More Camaro

Post by Fred32v »

Here are more Camaro pictures. This car has some really sweet body sculpting that the silver does not show. This car should have some pin stripping or the Z06 strips to show them. For example, you can not see the design in the roof. Maybe a more agressive color to show the body lines that were designed in but hidden by the silver. They were not afraid to put a loud Orange on the Cuda which does not have the same kind of small body sculpting. Yet the Cuda's color makes it look agressive.
Image Image Image
TireSmoker
Site Admin

More Camaro pics

Post by TireSmoker »

Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Yuck!!

That Camaro is terrible. Leave it to GM to be unable to capture the essence of what a car was.

Look at the Cuda. Perfect!

Now if I could only get Gm's drivetrain in the Chrysler...

-BP
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Basement Paul wrote:Yuck!!

That Camaro is terrible. Leave it to GM to be unable to capture the essence of what a car was.
It's growing on me. Looks a lot like a 69 to me. You can see it in the rear quarters, the tops of the door, hardtop (no post at the back of the driver door), even the grille. Not sure about the area around the headlight and the air scoop but the rest looks good to me. Unlike the Mustang, this one is not a Ford. And it has alot more style than the GTO. Better start saving money.

Inquiring minds want to know: Will they retro the 69 Firebird too?
-BP[/quote]
markss327

Post by markss327 »

Well, I'm not selling the farm to go out an buy one either. But admittedly, it is growing on me.
The similarities are there, but not like the Mustang. The engine compartment looks so clean and uncluttered, except for the '80s master cylinder and booster.
Billet strut brace? Hummmm.

The Dodge boys have MUCH better styling going on with their Challenger/'Cuda.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!