Chevelle 2009 projects

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Progress made today.

wxo

Post by wxo »

'Smoker, you have us in suspense. What did you decide to do to solve your detonation dilemma. After all that discussion, we suddenly see an assembled engine (and a fine looking engine it is), but no explanation.
What gives?
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

I came to agree with your notion that $1000 buys a lot of octane boost (or race gas). So, I got the correct head gaskets and put it together. I was happy with the amount of power this combination made, just unhappy about the detonation. I'll just start mixing some 93 + race gas to see if I can come up with something it's happy with. Being honest with myself, its usual street duty anymore is just going back and forth to the track.

I figured the body needed that money more than the engine right now.

-Dave
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I used to mix a bottle of 104 octane boost in about a half tank of 93 when the Caddy had the 472 (10.75:1). Seemed to make a pretty big difference over using just 93.

Motor looks good...

-BP
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

I found an interesting post, completely by accident, but looks like it could be useful for me. It looks like the kind of DIY thing any of us would try.

http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=295450

-Dave
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

Matt Sutter
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Will the megasquirt handle spark retard due to knock? Sounds like you need a knock sensor.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

The short answer is no -- the longer answer is it possibly could, but it's nothing I would trust in my situation.

-Dave
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

I actually went out in the garage last night and turned a couple wrenches on the 406 last night. The rockers on cyls 3 and 2 didn't appear to be centered properly over the valves. I looked at the others and they seem to be ok. Removed the rockers, loosened the rocker studs, adjusted the plates, remounted the rockers to check the adjustment, and then finally re-removed the rockers, torqued the studs and re-installed the rockers. It was pretty easy.

In the next couple weeks, I'm planning on setting the engine back in the engine bay and trying to fire it up.

-Dave
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

If I understood correctly, you were "off your rockers". :lol:
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

After getting a little fired up while at TRP today, I came home and decided to work on the Chevelle a bit today. I got the engine set in place into the chassis and the headers are bolted up, mostly. I stole some of the header bolts for the truck, and after digging into my extras I'm still short by 2.

I went to autozone and rented an oil pump primer, as its been a while since it was spun over and the distributor was still out.

I'm thinking I should drain the gas, since the last time it was driven was June 2008. With the sumped tank, it should be as simple as pulling a plug.

At this point, I need to put the distributor /wires / spark plugs in, plug in the engine wiring harness, bolt down the valvecovers and put in some antifreeze.

Maybe tomorrow night.

-Dave
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

I've been busy here at Tiresmoke central. Over the past couple weeks with some help from VeeDub, I've gotten the engine and trans put back into the Chevelle. Driveshaft in, exhaust bolted up, everything. It's ready to fire.

But now the coil doesn't seem to be firing. My MSD 6AL box fires the coil and I'm getting tach signal out of the MSD box, so I think the box is good. I'm not sure if I'm ohm-ing the coil correctly trying to determine if it is good or not. I have another very old stock coil that I tried hooking up, but I don't have confidence in it being good. It doesn't fire either.

I'll have to get another known-good coil to test with. If that doesn't work, I need to look closer at the MSD box itself.

Serious progress, however. :-)

-Dave
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

TireSmoker wrote: I'll have to get another known-good coil to test with. If that doesn't work, I need to look closer at the MSD box itself.
TopSportsman Nyerges was able to bring over a coil, as he was coming to Chesterland anyway. Still no-go.

So, it seems like MSD box is bad. I'll have to see what my options are for testing/repairing it.

-Dave
Racin'Jacin

MSD Rebuild

Post by Racin'Jacin »

TireSmoker, You may want to look into sending it back to MSD. Last I knew they would rebuild a box for something like 60 bucks. Seemed reasonable to me....

Racin'Jacin
TireSmoker wrote:
TireSmoker wrote: I'll have to get another known-good coil to test with. If that doesn't work, I need to look closer at the MSD box itself.
TopSportsman Nyerges was able to bring over a coil, as he was coming to Chesterland anyway. Still no-go.

So, it seems like MSD box is bad. I'll have to see what my options are for testing/repairing it.

-Dave