TRP 7-30-08

Information about upcoming races, swap meets & shows

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

markss327

TRP 7-30-08

Post by markss327 »

A foul in the first round says it all. -.043. Two of my three time runs were red lights too.
13.29 - hot fist run

Dialed 13.09, and went .26 Live and learn. :roll:

I approached Jim Curtis about doing a 'Cub Scout Night' at TRP.
Pasted in, is the letter I emailed the track last Monday:

---
Hello all-

About two weeks ago, I asked Jim Curtis about the possibility of having my Cub Scouts (Pack 388, Mentor, Ohio) come out on a Wednesday evening, and experience Drag Racing, first hand – all under adult supervision. Jim seemed open to the idea.

I’d like to do this, Wednesday, August 13th.

What I’d like to do with the Scouts, is gather them all at the starting line, (parents included) and go thru a 10-15min instructional of Drag Racing.

For instance, explain why cars do a burn-out. Explain ‘staging’ of the cars, go over the significance of the ‘tree’. Then, pile all the kids in to minivans, and head down track, stopping at the finish line, and go over the ‘traps’, and explain ET and MPH. I’ll try to get into bracket racing, but that may be too much ‘math’ for 2nd and 3rd graders.

My bottom line goal here, it to plant the seed of safety, and introduce organized, structured, Drag Racing, to 8-10 year old kids. Then, maybe, just maybe, in 6 or 7 years, when these kids start driving, and another kid pulls up next to him on the street, and eggs on a street race, my once scout says, ‘hey, not on the street, you wana race, bring it to Thompson, and we’ll run there…

Now, I have to ask, could you offer any incentives to the Scouts? Perhaps free admission to any scout in uniform?

I’ve been running Thompson since 1985. Generally, I’m a Wednesday night guy. I did run points in ‘Street class’ for a couple of years, but that was back in the early 1990s’. Currently, I’m running a 1963 Chevy Nova. It’s green, and Jim probably knows the car. She runs 12.90s -13.0s at 100 to 102mph. I do this as a hobby and if I go rounds, all the better! I’m no Drag Racing Guru, but I know the significance of a good reaction time, and running your dial.

Let me know if you’re open to the idea.
---

Jim and I talked briefly about this last evening, he's OK with it, but he'll have to confirm it with the owner, but so far, its a go.
Cool.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Geart idea, take pictures.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!