89 Firebird Formula 350 (AW)

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

TheRookie

89 Firebird Formula 350 (AW)

Post by TheRookie »

AW = After Walt. I figured that I should start a new thread. Thanks again Walt for all the help and I promise to take care of her.

So far, not much to report. I took it to e-check and it passed with flying colors and I got the out of state inspection done. I have to get an Ohio title next before getting plates. I'll post a to do list soon.
TheRookie

Post by TheRookie »

The new stage II chip is in and it's pulling stronger, especially in higher RPM. A nice quick and cheap upgrade. Drove most of the day with the t-tops out. My first experience with them. Kinda cool. I haven't been on a long trip and I'll have to evaluate going to the 160 degree thermostat that is recommended by the chip maker. Not going to be a winter car, so not worried about the heater really.

I talked to the board's favorite local muffler guy and he wants to have a look at it see what it's all about before we move forward with it. Like the e-check guys, he was very surprised about stock dual cats. Must be pretty rare as neither had seen that before. The e-check guys also pointed out that the brakes didn't do much good for the rear wheels while on the drum. So it looks like maybe some new pads, perhaps all around. All in all, a very sound car. The biggest work to be done is getting the interior right.
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I think the only reason they want the colder theremostat is to keep detonation under full throttle down because of the more aggressive timing brought on by the chip. If you don't get any pinging noise under full throttle, especially while it's warm outside, you're probably OK with the 180 in there. If you keep running premium, I wouldn't think there's any reason to put the 160 in (except that you have it, and it would be good experience to do it).

I was driving around this morning with the t-tops out and I really enjoy it. Glad to hear you're enjoying the car!

-BP
TheRookie

Post by TheRookie »

Well, I'm waiting to get a final price on the exhaust, but looks like that'll happen soon. It'll be a y-pipe from the dual cats to a single 3" into a Vortex muffler and keep it 3" with a high and tight chop on the tip like it is to keep it low profile and high flow. That should be it on go fast parts for now except for maybe a aluminum driveshaft that Camaro Bob might have a lead on.
wxo

Post by wxo »

I can't help but chime in with a suggestion. It's Tuesday and tomorrow is Wednesday. And Wednesday night at TDR is the place to be. It would be nice to have some baseline numbers to use as a comparison to measure your "go fastness" as you progress with mods.
TheRookie

Post by TheRookie »

I can't as I'll be out past Carlisle leaving tonight and back Thursday night. Maybe Saturday. Or I need to quit :)
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I understand some baseline numbers, but the car is not stock anyway. And since the updates are tried and true upgrades, doing them now is cool IMO. That thing will sound so sweet!
Worst case I should have the driveshaft after the Carlisle weekend. Should be somewhere between $80 and $100.

-BP
TheRookie

Post by TheRookie »

Here's a few pics of the new exhaust. Sounds fantastic. I tried one video with my camera, but it didn't sound so good. I'll try again later I suppose.

Two cats become one three inch pipe...

Over the axle and through the woods...

Into the Vortex...

Nice nip and tuck...

TheRookie

Post by TheRookie »

I think tomorrow after work I may seek out some seats and new headliner. There's a couple big places on the west side. One has cheap fixed prices based on part type. The other has a lot of Camaro/Firebird/Corvette stuff and 4th gen seats are bolt-in. We'll see what pans out. The rear seat might just get removed for now as I'll likely won't use it and it's dead weight.

I also looked into the rear gear situation. This is definitely the place to go if I want to stick with the current rear end. http://www.9bolt.com/gearsets.html But that is likely a next year project or over the winter.
Fred32v

First Time Out Best Run Time Slip

Post by Fred32v »

Love that exhaust work. Great pictures too. I can speak from personal experience,
to hear it is to love it, at idle and wot!

Thought I'd post your 1st time out best slip here so we can see the progress.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
TheRookie

Post by TheRookie »

Well, I just picked up some new front and rear seats from a clean 94 Firebird. They are still cloth and two-tone grey, but much nicer than 3rd gen seats including great bolstering. Should look real sharp. The driver's seat is power, so that may be the only challenge as the current is not. Also got all factory floor mats and seat beat receivers. Not a bad deal for $200. The seller nor I had the torx wrench for the receivers, so that'll have to wait a couple days (she works near me). Still, at least not I can start clearing out the old seats and scrubbing down the carpet. Should be all done within a week or so. Just leaves the T-top headliner as the last major interior fix. I'll post some before and after.

P.S. Mostmint - if you need some 4th gen parts, the seller has very reasonable prices and in very good shape. V6 auto. I think I was the second grabber other than the aftermarket sounds system. Right front clip is shot though.
wxo

Post by wxo »

You might want to consider some nice new reproduction carpeting while you have the seats out.

In either case, don't forget to post some pictures.
TheRookie

Post by TheRookie »

Just a quick update as I have procured some new go faster parts. I bought an aluminum driveshaft from Camaro Bob (well, I still owe him some dough) and I picked up a complete rear drive axle. It's a GM 10-bolt 4.10 with posi. Between the both of them, I expect easy 13's. I think the rear brakes and shocks will get refreshed while it's all happening. Once it's back on the road, some new tires will be in order as well. I'll post some pics when I get a chance.