Fuel Prices

This is the first forum. We'll figure out if we want more.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

markss327

Fuel Prices

Post by markss327 »

Is it just me, or are fuel prices hurting anyone else?

$3.14/gal on 2-26-08 am, Speedway @ Lake Shore and Renolds (306)
Dumping the Avalanche, and getting into a Cobalt, saves me $115 a month, in gas alone.

I'm pissed. :x :x :x :x :x :x
What the #$&% are we supposed to do?
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Yes its annoying, but I made some adjustments. In my budget, its not that big of a factor - not hurting much.

When gas first started careening above $2 a gallon, I started car pooling to work. Cut my fuel consumption by 40%. It's rare I spend over $100 a month on gas. My cars get like 20 on a gallon, so its not the great mileage. Now if I ever start driving the Trans Am again...

My wife probably spends about 60-80$ a month on her car.

Groceries on the other hand go over $700. This one bugs me the most. Property tax, maybe even natural gas bills (some months way higher, some months lower) are more visible on the radar than gasoline.

I know a guy that spent like $8000 to get a used car to get better mileage. With the additional insurance and upkeep, not to mention the $8000 purchase price, I doubt the extra $ per month saved on gas would make it pay off. Sure it feels better when you go to the pump, but is it worth it? I even showed him the math and he still did it.

I could take it further to improve consumption, since my wife's Lumina needs a thermostat. Other than that the only thing I think I can do is buy a crash box that gets over 30 mpg. I don't know what else to do.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
markss327

Post by markss327 »

Between the minivan, and the AV, I'm spending $415/month in fuel.
Come summer, add another $100/month for the Nova.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

Yeah it sucks.

Property Tax - $2800/year
Electricity - $2000/year
Natural Gas - $1500/year
Food, water, trash, mortgage PMI

They all piss me OFF.

We could all be like Dave and get a motorcycle.

I'm lucky I get reimbursed $0.16 per mile for gas (outside sales) from work.
Matt Sutter
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I think until gas steadily gets over $4 / gal, most people will do nothing to change their driving habits and vehicle choices. I do think that if for some reason something happens with the T-bird, I will get something that might average closer to 30 mpg. The sad part about that, is that most cars that do that are FWD, and I don't care too much for FWD cars. My only hope would be a 3800 Camaro / Firebird, or a stickshift V6 Mustang. I've also considered from a FWD standpoint, an Ecotec Cavalier LS Sport.

-BP
AKROVER

Post by AKROVER »

It is really just a matter of perspective. I start my new job with Chevron in a couple weeks. Suddenly high gas prices and high oil company profits are a good thing - for my bonus. So smile and think of me as you pump that gas.
wxo

Post by wxo »

Congratulations Tim! In your honor I think I'll go fill up Ol' Blue with premium and find someone to race. When I open up all four barrels, I can see the gas gauge go down. I'm not changin' anything!!!
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

Tim, good for you on the new job.

I'll change my other habits before I drive something I really don't want to drive. Premium cable channels? BYE. There are always places to cut back. I spend TOO much time in the car to not like what I drive.

We do need energy independence from ARAB oil though. I'm all for drilling off FL or in ANWAR. There's always more to the story than we'll know. I'm in sales and know all about margins and how Corporations cost things. BUT at the end of the day IF gasoline powered cars go bye bye so do some oil companies. Just look at the new CAFE standards. New v8's dead?

What's it they say? "Gotta PAY to PLAY"?
Matt Sutter
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Prices be damned.
I'm not ready to stop enjoying my vehicles.
I'm with WXO, as soon as the weathter breaks,
I'm topping off with 94 octane and heading out.
Spring can't get here fast enough!
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
TheRookie

Post by TheRookie »

When I chipped the TB SS, I damned myself to 93+ octane. But I'll settle for the GPM (grins per mile) rather than the MPG. Besides, work is picking up half the tab on the gas. So it's now half price. Yay!

So, maybe we need to start another site for all our miserly vehicles. Perhaps tirebloke.org (kinda British) or tirepoke.org.

"So, dude, I just picked up this new Pruis. What do you thnk about converting from nickel cadmium to lithium? I know I'll get less cycles, but it's lighter and I'd rather have less problems with battery 'memory' issues"

"Umm, yeah, so I was looking at these new high efficiency solar panels. But they are designed for houses, but I figured if I mounted them on my carbon fiber hood and most of my drive is to the east going to work and back to the west, I'll maximize my solar exposure!!!"
markss327

Post by markss327 »

I had to run with it....
Thanks Rookie 8)

"I've just reprogrammed my regenerative braking. Dude, it's awesome. Sorta like a diesel engine brake. Ya don't even need to hit the brake, just tug on the little lever I installed on the column, and dude, it slows the car down..."

"You wana get in on making some bio diesel? If we make it in 100 gallon batches, it calculates out to like $.75\gal. Problem is, my VW TDI will take three months to go thru 100gal, and the stuff will start to decompose....so man, are ya in???..."

"I went to start my Civic Hybrid, to let her warm up a bit this morning, but once it sensed it wasn't moving, it shut off."
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
Fred32v

Quick conversion

Post by Fred32v »

Ok, my turn! :D

I was finally able ro use the knowledge that I acquired while racing HO slot cars, smaller resistor for more response.
Just finished converting the STSv to an STS14Volt with the conversion kit I got from Green Valley Performance Racing,
just down the road from those losers at Summit Performance Racing. This kit removes the Northstar but retains the
supercharger to keep the new batteries cool. This is a complete kit, right down to the CD with the northstar exhaust
sounds played through the speakers in the tailpipes. They have kits for all popular models and will soon have installations
for your '57 Chevys.

I couldn't help myself.
:oops:
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

You need the deluxe kit to convert it to 220V
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
TheRookie

Post by TheRookie »

"So, you putting in 220??"

"Yeah. 220... 221... whatever it takes."

(favorite part from the movie Mr. Mom)
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I saw this industrial place on the internet that has stuff to help you convert to 480V!!!!

-BP