digital camera

This is the first forum. We'll figure out if we want more.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

ttamrettus

digital camera

Post by ttamrettus »

Guys.

I see there are some NICE pictures here.
I am in the market for a digital camera.
So what would each of you suggest?
I am after a few hundred dollar range camera.

Xerox what did you use to take your 57 pics?
Studly what did you use for your vette?
Walt what for the Ford?

Thanks,
Matt
Matt Sutter
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Matt, I'm a big fan of Canon cameras -- I'm on my second one, a Powershot S-30. It's a 3 megapixel camera, 3x optical zoom, 10x digital zoom.

The feature to pay for in a digital camera, IMO, is the zoom lens. One of the other main considerations is the battery -- is it a oddball battery, or does it use AA/AAA batteries?

You can make a pretty nice 8x10 from 3 megapixels, if you ever print them out. 4 megapixel should be more than plenty.

Go touch 'n feel a few at Best Buy/Circuit City -- see what feels comfortable to use.

You should be able to get a pretty decent camera for $200-250.

Just my $.02

-Dave
AKROVER

Post by AKROVER »

Matt,

I agree with Dave's advice. The more lens you get (optical zoom) the more versatile the camera. There is a lot of hype about megapixels and most of it is garbage. 4 mp is plenty for some pretty big prints (I print to 13"X19" with a 5 mp) and even 2 mp is plenty for display on a computer monitor (or TV). Some of these high (6, 7, 8 ) mp cameras are not delivering any improvement in image quality because the pixel density on the small sensor chip is getting too high. The high end cameras are using much larger chips to deliver good quality ultra high resolution, but you pay for that.

I am a Canon fan as well, although almost any of the cameras out there are decent. At that price range, it turns out that most of them have the same sensors as there are only a few sensor manufacturers. The best way to pick one out is to go play with them in a store. The one that feels right in your hand and you can figure out how to navigate the menus without a manual is usually the right one for you. Digital photography is awesome. The bad pictures don't cost you a thing.

Have fun shopping,
Tim