TRP- Oct 16th- good & bad

This is the first forum. We'll figure out if we want more.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Basement Paul

TRP- Oct 16th- good & bad

Post by Basement Paul »

The track was perfect, the air was great, and the light tailwind didn't hurt either. My first pass in the Caddy was my best pass ever:

14.27 (no mph)
1.99 60 ft

At that point I should've gone home happy. I made about six more passes and decided to go home. I had a bunch of low 30's, but none better than the first.

After my last pass, something seemed slightly wierd with my rearend, but it didn't seem as bad as the clunking and snapping I would get sometimes, so I decided to drive home, no big deal. As I was slowing down for the intersection at 528 and hit the brakes, there was a huge bang from the rearend and one of the wheels locked up, I thought I was done...

Looking under the car, everything was still attached so I thought I'd give it a slow go to the church about .5 mile up the road. Lots of noise, especially when slowing down in gear, but driving steady at about 25mph seemed at least like nothing would fall apart. So to avoid a costly tow, I put on the hazards and drove home like I was in a parade.

Needless to say I need a rearend again. I took the insurance off today.

I guess I'll try to get to 42 with the S-10 on some really cold day in November.

-BP
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

make sure you take pictures when you get it apart - I'm sure it will be ugly. (sorry had to get that in)
markss327

Post by markss327 »

Well, that's twice. I think you've discovered your weakest link.
Your gona have to spend some big bucks to get a rear end to last..... (Dana 60)
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I'm pretty sure a 9" will be fine for my application. I'm hoping the one I have will work dimensionally, and then I'll just get a good center section with something around a 3.55 gear ratio. I'll get a look at it sometime before Christmas. For now, I need to get the Honda sold and the Camaro ready.

-BP