Question? - about Salvage Title

This is the first forum. We'll figure out if we want more.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Basement Paul

Question? - about Salvage Title

Post by Basement Paul »

Read about my Camaro that I bought, then tell me what you would do, given that you got a seemingly good deal, then found out after you already had the car home, that it had a salvage title.

I told the guy here who's sister I bought the car from, that if I could get a couple hundred bucks back, I'd be happy. But if I don't get anything back, I'll survive, and just drive the car longer than I normally would.

-BP
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

He didn't tell you it was a salvage title before the deal was made? I don't know if you have any legal recourse, though.

Can't you pump that thing through CarFax at work? That might help you determine how much damage there was.

My Neon had a salvage title. It was a pretty good car for the most part.

-Dave
AKROVER

Post by AKROVER »

We never used to know anything about the history of a car and we never really worried. If everything is functional, it doesn't matter too much. It would be nice to know why as that can predict some future problems. If the previous owner isn't the one who salvaged the car, I wouldn't expect too much in return. If you can negotiate anything, it would be great. If the previous owner knew and didn't disclose, I might press a little harder for some money. I probably wouldn't lose any sleep over it either way. Salvaging might make a better Chevy, anyway.
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

The car was totalled from what I can tell from the carfax, just before the previous owner bought it. So it had 138k on it when it was "repaired". The reason I think it was totalled is that the airbags went off from a driver's front impact which doesn't really look that bad. But I'm sure airbags are crazy expensive and that's why they totalled it.

I'm just going to drive the crap out of it and try to get my money out of it. I like the car overall, it's just going to need a little more work to get it reliable for everyday use.

Looks like I'm not getting any money back, and that's really no big deal.

-BP