1995 Camaro

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Made an earnest effort to work on the car this past weekend. I just have one head left to remove and disassembly is complete. The back cylinder on the driver side was the one taking water. I curse the designer that had that wiring harness and EGR tube bolted to the back of the head.

Interesting that the rocker arms look exactly like those off a small block Chevy. I have some 1.6's, maybe an upgrade here. Also I think there is potential in the intake ports.
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

So I finally got the last head off last night. I think its obvious what went wrong - see pics.

the first couple are after the top of the intake is off
ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

I found a very interesting article on the camarov6 forum. Seems as though the intake may be a bigger problem than the heads, and the injectors are only 16#, so they are also a limiting factor.

I was not deterred by the pessimism and so last Thursday I spent about 6 hours opening up the ports. I was amazed how much I remembered about what the ports should looke like. Next I'll clean the valves and get the heads in for a multi-angle grind.
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

before pics of the heads

MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Heads went to the shop today. $160 for the multi angle grind. Should have them back Thursday.

I still need to port the intake - both halves, and get the injectors cleaned. Then it should be ready to go back together.
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Found time this weekend to port the lower intake. The top of the ports had significant restrictions, and I widened them to match the intake port on the head also. This was a lot more than a gasket match. The aluminum surface is farily rough so I think I'll get the sanding rolls out next.

I also contacted my injector cleaner service and he can't do them until next week. I will pack them up and ship them tomorrow or Wed.

After I take a peek at the 5-angle grind I am going to put the heads on.
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

OK it has been several weeks. Finished the sanding of the lower intake, and have been picking away at assembly. Right now the heads and lower intake are on, exhaust on, rockers on and adjusted, valve covers on, alternator/ AC compressor and its myriad brackets on, EGR tubes on and connected, power steering and coil packs are on.

There are some coolant lines, the upper intake and injectors, every conceivable sensor wire, EGR valve and some other odds and ends to install before its ready.

I sent the injectors out for cleaning, and they apparently were already clean, so I was only charged inspection fees.
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Last I heard it was running but.......?
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Got it running last Thursday. Can't believe how many times I looked at the spare engine to figure out where everything went. Battery needed charged due to sitting for 6 months. It was slow starting, apparently it had to crank a few times for the fuel system to pressurize. Problem now is that I missed the lifter adjustments and there is at least one of them that is way off - ticking loudly.

The Haynes book had me adjusting half of them with one cam position and half with the other cam position. This is silly I should have adjusted each one when it was at TDC on compression. I am guessing this is what got me in trouble.

So now I have the opportunity to remove the top half of the the intake, the injector rail, and whatever else is in the way of removing the valve covers.:( Then after adjusting them I'll have to reinstall the intake with the covers off and do the adjustments the old fashioned way, and then put it back together.

I do have a second set of valve covers I could cut up so it does not make a mess...
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Before you take it apart, get your air hammer, put in a sheet metal peeler, and open up the valve covers on the car. Once it's running right, then all you have to do is take it apart and put the new valve covers on, then put it right back together. Just a thought.

-BP
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

good thought except the top of the intake is already off.

there is really not much room so I am not sure how I would get the cuts even close.
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Well I finished the lifter adjustments on Tuesday. Turns out only one was out of adjsutment. Decided to put the intake on and adjust the lifters with it running. Loosened each one and put about a 1/4 turn on each after the ticking stopped, and it is now quiet.

Had to get another gasket set since the valve cover gaskets tore and the intake gasket (between the halves) was not looking good.

Took a couple short trips and one trip to work to burn off all the oil off the exhaust headers. Yesterday I took it to echeck and it passed. On the way home the check engine light came on - still need to check that out.

So the car is street worthy again, and is a tranny away from needing nothing. 2nd gear is getting worse but the rest is fine so I can run it a little longer like this.
MostMint

Ooooh that smell...

Post by MostMint »

Last Thursday after exiting the freeway on the way home from work I noticed this strange smell. So I went through the inventory of car smells, brakes, brake fluid, radiator fluid, tranny fluid, rear end. Also thought about the burnt version of those smells. Couldn't match it up.

I had hoped maybe it was something outside and not my car, but when I came home the smell was in the garage with me. It smelled a little like something was cooking. Checked the oil and it was good. Checked under the car for leaking fluids and maybe roadkill parts on the exhaust, with no luck.

So I decided to move the car to the detached garage for diagnosis. While moving it there, I confirmed the smell was coming from the exhaust pipe. During this time I noticed that some hickory nuts we had sitting on a cardboard box top in the garage were all missing. Hmm. Could they be in my exhaust pipe?

Sure enough, next time I took the car out I stood on the gas and watched as these hickory nuts were deposited all over the street! I did this several times and watched as a half dozen or so of them would some out each time I cranked up the RPMs. I'm sure there are more in there, and maybe the rodent that deposited them also.

I'll have to drop the muffler and shake out what I can when the weather gets better, but for now I get that smoked hickory smell out my exhaust every time the car gets warmed up.
TheRookie

Post by TheRookie »

Chestnuts roasting in an open exhaust...
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

HO, HO, HO!
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!