Cadillac

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

MostMint

Re: Cadillac

Post by MostMint »

The mechanical secondaries are not the issue. You might be able to tune it (not familiar with center squirter) or maybe a difft carb with mechanical secondaries and two different acc pump circuits.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Too late, I already have the new one. The old one probably just needs to be cleaned, but ultimately, it's a race carb and it's not any good on the street. I'm trying to bring back some driveability to the car.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

So if you read my recent racing post, the carb seems to be good. With a little more tuning, it should be on the money. It's rated for 500+ HP so even if I do some upgrades over the winter, the 870 should handle it. I just got off the phone with Summit and ordered a carb heat deflector shield and the secondary spring kit. Hopefully it will show up tomorrow so I can screw with it this weekend.

Turns out the first fan clutch I bought wasn't up to the task and let the car get way too hot. It also seemed a little loose. I took it back and got another new one, and driving back and forth to the track, the car never got over 180 just on the clutch fan so I think I've got that problem licked.

I thinks what's going to happen this winter is that I'm going to buy 10.0:1 pistons (it's only 8.2 right now) and do a quick rebuild on this motor. Not that it needs it, but if I'm putting pistons in, I might as well put bearings in too. The only question is if to have the rotating assembly balanced. I know this would be a big improvement, but I'm guessing it's really expensive to have done. I'll have to look into it...

-BP
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Basement Paul wrote: The only question is if to have the rotating assembly balanced. I know this would be a big improvement, but I'm guessing it's really expensive to have done. I'll have to look into it...

-BP
I don't think it's that expensive. Probably less than your new carb. Not sure if there's a Cadillac 'tax' compared to having a small block chevy balanced.

-Dave
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I'd say that if it's less than $500 that I'm going to have it done. I always remember how smooth 32V's 455, excuse me, 461 was after he balanced it. My motor is not bad, but I'm sure it would help a bunch.

-BP
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

I'd get it balanced if I could..... You're right, Fred's motor at high rpm's was WAY
smoother than my 425, and they had the same cam & were nearly the same motor.
Can't go wrong getting it balanced in my opinion....

GM
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

I balanced the pistons myself with a scale I borrowed from Rick. He showed me where to remove material
and I made all the pistons as light as the lightest one. I had Micheals balance the crank and recondition the rods.
I can't remember if they balanced the rods or I did. Balancing made quite a difference for small effort.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Harbor Freight sells a small digital scale that looked like it would be near-perfect for equalizing the pistons and it should be under $20.

-Dave
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I see those scales come through my work on a semi-regular basis too. I'll have to keep a look out.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Yesterday I brought home the original 472 and some related parts from 32V's place and mounted it on a stand in my garage. I found an alternate Caddy parts source that looks like it has a reasonably priced stroker kit, or just a set of 10:1 pistons / rods to use in my current 500. I'm still unsure which way I'm going to go with this yet, but a stroker kit will set me back about $3k, where I might be able to make my current combo 10:1 with better rods for around $1k. Currently, the motor I have in there is 8.2:1...

As I see it, the compression increase should be good for about 40HP and the stroker kit would be about 30 more. Then a better set of heads another 35hp because of bigger valves / less restriction.

I'm looking for the 12's...

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

So after multiple emails back and forth to Chris from Cad Company, I think I'm leaning towards a head swap for now, and leaving the rotating assembly alone. My stock heads have some mild port work done and a multi angle grind, but still have the stock valve size. This guy says the bigger valves will make a huge difference, and later on I can still up the compression and / or do a stroker kit- no problem. The original valves are 2.00 intake and 1.62 exhaust compared to the updated heads with 2.11 and 1.77. The heads I'm looking at would be the 120cc Pro / Street steel set.

http://www.cad500parts.com/catalog/page17.htm

Chris also said they will give credit for old motor parts so I'm going to make a list tonight to see how much crap I have and how much I can deduct from the $1900 (plus bigger gaskets).

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

So Saturday I crated up three sets of heads, an intake manifold, and a carburetor for a deposit on the new heads. They shipped out today. If I figure right, there should be about $600 worth of credit coming my way. Shipping was $140 to get it all there, so I'm down to $460.

He should receive the parts on Monday, and he said it would take another day or two to check through my stuff to know for sure how much I'll get. When I called, there was a Caddy motor on the dyno in the backround. It was so loud, he had to stop for a few seconds before he could talk again.... cool.

Anyway, I'm thinking I'll have my new heads within a couple weeks. That will give me plenty of time to get them on and tested before Spring springs. I also want to get my radiator enlarged to three cores. I'm sure I'll do that at the same time.

I really hope these heads are all they're cracked up to be. I'm guessing .3 or so faster, but the way he talks it will be more than that. If the car is currently running consistent 13.6's, I'd like to see it in the .20's at 102mph (now I can't quite get to 100).

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

The last I heard on the checking over of my core heads was on Tuesday that he received my stuff. No emails since then. I sent him something on Thursday late with no reply. I'm going to call tomorrow since I'm off to find out what's up.

Today I removed the radiator. I want it to be bigger. I thought it had a two core but it is a three core. Tomorrow I'm going to take it back to the local radiator shop to see if they can add a fourth row. I've had some cooling issues when driving at freeway speeds or in the heat, so before spring hits, I'm going to try to remedy the problem.

-BP
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

BP,

Don't know if you'd consider a new aluminum radiator or how the price might compare with getting a row added to yours. The Maverick has a 3-row aluminum that, IIRC, was good for 700 HP. Paid around $200 for it. Might be worth looking into.

The maverick one dumps a LOT of heat. When its idling, you can feel the thermostat open and close in the air coming off the fan. It also has a $30 Taurus electric fan which is another winner. I guess the electric fan is good for about 5 HP.

http://www.championradiators.net/servle ... Categories
Maverick
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Funny you mention it, today I ordered a stock replacement, all aluminum radiator. I spent a good 20 minutes with the radiator guy in town, and for $300 I have this on it's way. This is a three row job with what he thinks will be much better cooling capacity than what I have. I weighed that aluminum one VS having him recore the one I have with bigger cores (almost $700 :shock: ) and so I went with the aluminum one. He says the only reason to recore vs aluminum is if you wanted to keep it stock looking, otherwise, aluminum is the way to go. I'm way past stock looking...

Also, I just talked to Chris from cad company and I did get full credit for all my stuff that I sent him. Sounds like my new heads will be on the way this week.

Hopefully I'll really be ready to roll by April 1 (or sooner...).

-BP