Cadillac

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Blue_69_malibu

Re: Cadillac

Post by Blue_69_malibu »

Define "awesome"? :wink:

I think that car was done by the same garage that did the work on the Beetle driven by Willie Mays Hayes in the movie Major League.
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I love the big tires in the back. That thing is FWD... Lots of gold, just like the drivers teef.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

So my last two trips to TRP have yielded a best of 13.89 @ 98.6mph and some head scratching. What it felt like is the car laying over in 3rd gear. My logic (which isn't always correct) was telling me the carb is too big, and the secondaries weren't opening all the way. So I took a trip to my accountant today to pick up a smaller (770cfm) version of my current Holley Street Avenger (870cfm). Did I mention my accountant is cool?

Anyway, tonight as I was tearing apart the 770 carb, and started making adjustments on the bench for the float levels and jetting, I started to realize that maybe my 870 wasn't too big, it was asking for MORE fuel. So I pulled the plug off the secondary bowl and low and behold, no gas ran out, telling me that the float level was probably too low. So I tore the bowl off, adjusted the float higher, and since I was in there (and my spark plugs were pretty light colored) I decided to make the jets a little bigger too. The stock jetting is 82, so I went up to 85s. TA-DA!!! The car is an animal again! It now pulls like crazy, regardless of what gear and how fast i'm going.

Apparently, the bigger valves and more cfms in the heads, are begging for more fuel to mix with all that extra air. As the week goes on, I'm going to bump the jets in the front (last year I went from 78 to 80s in the primaries) bowl to 82s, and I think I'll go up to 87s in the secondaries and see what happens. I have a funny feeling that Mikey's going to like it.

More to come...

-BP
Blue_69_malibu

Post by Blue_69_malibu »

Glad I could help a brother out! :)

That 770 never seems to end up on anyone's car (long term) but always helps you find the carb answer that you're looking for.
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

At least it got a good cleaning inside. I didn't see anything that should keep it from working correctly though. It was bone stock. I think it would work on the right motor.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Nice. 8)
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

Sweet!!!
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Was that some random guy posting video of your car, or someone you know?

-Dave
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Like (too much facebook)
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I remember talking to this guy. He drove over two hours with his buddy in the black Trans Am (see his other videos) since there were no other tracks open. This guy was building a Caddy motor basically EXACTLY the same as mine for his short bed Chevy pick up. He was so pumped up that I actually was running a Caddy motor and not a big block Chevy. We talked quite a bit.
If you watch the video of me racing the other Caddy, you can see 32V staging behind me in my Mustang...

-BP
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Basement Paul wrote:I remember talking to this guy. He drove over two hours with his buddy in the black Trans Am (see his other videos) since there were no other tracks open. This guy was building a Caddy motor basically EXACTLY the same as mine for his short bed Chevy pick up. He was so pumped up that I actually was running a Caddy motor and not a big block Chevy. We talked quite a bit.
If you watch the video of me racing the other Caddy, you can see 32V staging behind me in my Mustang...

-BP
I noticed the Mustang behind you, thinking "wow, looks just like Paul's Mustang" right behind.. didnt realize it was actually your car!

-Dave
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Well, today I delivered the Caddy to it's new owner in Mantua. Believe it or not, 32V saw me on my way down there. I thought that was pretty cool. I met Don at the corner gas station near his place, and he took the wheel and I followed him to his storage place in his car. I never followed the Caddy before. It was a badass piece. I'll miss it some, but am glad it's gone to a good home, and can't wait to start working on the Mustang.

-BP
Blue_69_malibu

Post by Blue_69_malibu »

The end of a long, bad-ass era.

But the memories/pictures/stories remain.

"To Infinity.....and Beyond!"
Last edited by Blue_69_malibu on Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

What a fun coincidence, seeing the Cadillac on its' way to its' new home.
There was no mistaking it, that Cadillac is one of a kind. :)
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!