1/2 Mile Indy Airstrip Attack 2023

Information about upcoming races, swap meets & shows

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Basement Paul

1/2 Mile Indy Airstrip Attack 2023

Post by Basement Paul »

This past weekend I took the S10 to Marion Municipal Airport near Indianapolis for a 1/2 mile event. There's no ET here, it's just about MPH. I booked myself in for Friday and Saturday, just in case of rain, but Friday was a pretty nice day. My goal was to get at least three solid runs and I was able to do that easily. Unfortunately, there was a pretty solid headwind, which isn't good for anyone, but probably a little worse for a stock height, aero deficient truck like mine. This is an unprepped and grooved concrete runway, so there's definitely some driving off the line, but was able to get 136mph in each of my three runs. My official best was 136.78mph, but I never got the emails for the other two runs, but spectators told me they were all 136, so good enough for me.
This was an interesting event with LOTS of big money cars flying around. I think the fastest car was about 258mph, in the form of a Lamborghini STO. WAY far from stock. There were 11 cars in my class on the first day, and I was 9th of the 11. I got into the NA, normally aspirated, class. I was faster than a 2019 Charger Scat Pack 392, and a 2018 Mustang GT. The winner of the class was a '98 Vette at 173mph. The boosted cars owned this thing.

It was a fun experience and if I make some major change to the truck, would probably do it again.

https://airstripattack.co/event/indy-airstrip-attack/

-BP
Attachments
Airstrip 8-10-23.jpg
Airstrip 8-10-23a.jpg
wxo

Re: 1/2 Mile Indy Airstrip Attack 2023

Post by wxo »

Very cool, BP! Without the head wind I'm guessing you would at least hit 140 mph. This prompted me to do some searching for Silvia's top speed. :shock: A few guys are claiming 170 mph for the '96 LT4. Not sure if that is stock or not.
Basement Paul

Re: 1/2 Mile Indy Airstrip Attack 2023

Post by Basement Paul »

I believe 170 is legit for your car stock, but I also think my S10 with unlimited space would do close to 160 before I ran out of gear, just not in 1/2 mile. I know the '87 Vette was rated to do over 150mph topped out, but I'm betting you would need well over a mile to accomplish that. I wish they would give you ET at this event also. I'm thinking based on others that tracked their own ET with onboard software, that I was in the 19sec range for the 1/2 mile. I think I would feel safe going 150-155 in my truck the way it sits, but beyond that, I think I would have to rethink the shocks and suspension setup. It was definitely an interesting experiment. The runs still go by pretty fast as you get pretty focused once you get past the 3/8 mile mark and start to close in on the finish line flags.

-BP