1967 Cutlass Convertible

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

GMJohnny

1967 Cutlass Convertible

Post by GMJohnny »

Here’s another example of what happens when you look on the internet for things that interest you. I found this ‘67 Cutlass convertible on Facebook Marketplace. Turns out it was owned by the father of a guy that I worked with in the late 90’s. A few beers and laughs later, I did the deal. It’s a 330 cu. inch, 2 barrel, 2 speed Jetaway transmission manual brake, bench seat with power steering and air Cutlass. I bought it without driving it because it was sleeting the night I looked at it. I just drove it home and was pleasantly surprised at how well it did considering it has seen very few miles in the last year. It’s pretty solid all around, and the paint is showing its age. Who knows what I will do with it, but for now it’s in my barn waiting to be loved.

GM
Attachments
5A3B9E75-4EA1-4195-898F-CCCA792AB0A5.jpeg
57DEC95D-1680-4D82-8F26-6CF7A67FD515.jpeg
E436A41A-714F-4216-B597-0EBFE5D2BD51.jpeg
96A5A616-B0A8-4DAC-BB65-050880B357C2.jpeg
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Re: 1967 Cutlass Convertible

Post by TireSmoker »

dude, that's sweet!! werent those 330's like 11:1 compression or something? I thought there was something sorta unique about them.

-Dave
AKROVER

Post by AKROVER »

So you found something exciting on the internet and then you checked it out in person and even had a few beers. This is a story that could have ended a lot worse than bringing home an old convertible. I think you have room for a few more Oldsmobiles in that garage.
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

TireSmoker wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:15 pm dude, that's sweet!! werent those 330's like 11:1 compression or something? I thought there was something sorta unique about them.

-Dave

I’m not quite sure what the compression ratio on this one is, as normally the air cleaner assembly
color gives you a hint, ( orange = 10.25 / black = 9.0 ) but the factory air cleaner is gone. I have one
hanging on my wall that will more than likely be pushed into service soon!

GM
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

AKROVER wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:54 pm So you found something exciting on the internet and then you checked it out in person and even had a few beers. This is a story that could have ended a lot worse than bringing home an old convertible. I think you have room for a few more Oldsmobiles in that garage.

:lol: :lol:
wxo

Post by wxo »

Info about the Olds 330 from the web:
Doesn't share anything with a Chevrolet engine. 330 were made 1964-67 and were respectable little engines, capable of impressive output. They were enlarged to 350 cid in 1968 to follow the General's trend- Chevy had a new 350, and the others had 330 (Olds), 340 (Buick), and 326 (Pontiac) engines, and no way were they going to allow lowly Chevrolet to have a bigger small-displacement engine. So, out came the boring bars, and next thing they all had 350s.

The reason there isn't anything much 330-specific out there is due to the fact it is considered an obsolete engine. However, everything except pistons interchanges with the other Olds small-blocks, and some stuff will interchange with the 400/425/455 engine family.

As long as it will tolerate available gasoline, you won't have many issues with it. The 320 horse engine was made for 100+ octane gasoline which was common and cheap when these engines were built.

BTW, all 330 had forged cranks if that eases your mind any.
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

WXO,

I’m not certain this motor will ever see anything more than a four barrel and dual exhaust
if I hang on to it for any duration. With many small block choices that have much more displacement,
it’d be tough to hang on to only 330 cubic inches, with that being said, it does move the car pretty
well considering it has only a two barrel and single exhaust. I’m just glad it runs, starts and goes
at this point in time.

I started some preliminary work on the car yesterday. I just kind of stared looking it over. The starting
point was the non-functional horn. I removed the center button and it was disconnected. Connecting
the wire made it work, but when I put the cap back on, the Olds rocket was crooked and if oriented
correctly, the button would fall off because the line up tabs require you to put the button on and twist
it to make it lock on. The final and only solution was to remove the decal and reinstall it. It worked
well. I guarantee that the sticker was on wrong from day one. Now the horn works and the emblem is
pointed up, until I put an original wheel on it. I also got the radio working. The power wire was not
getting the power to the radio. Someone didn’t know how to crimp a spade connector on a wire. I
found it and now the tunes work. It has an aftermarket radio in it that I’m not a huge fan of, but it sounds
good and fits in the dash ok. The good thing is the dash isn’t hacked up, so a factory radio could be reinstalled
should it happen in the future. I also tightened up the mast antenna that was flopping a bit on the fender.
The next step is to fix the chrome trim around the convertible top on the back. Clips are missing but have
been ordered.

GM
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

SOLD!

GM