slowly the big 3 ditch high powered engines

This is the first forum. We'll figure out if we want more.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

MostMint

slowly the big 3 ditch high powered engines

Post by MostMint »

[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
Basement Paul

Re: slowly the big 3 ditch high powered engines

Post by Basement Paul »

They should have made them hybrids first. I don't think they'll sell 20percent of their numbers when they're all electric, regardless of new speed technology.

-BP
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

To me, hybrids make sense to reduce pollution in cities, do road trips, and pay a fair share of road taxes. I don't understand how people think we can go all plug ins without a very expensive expansion of the grid and power generation. I do understand the attraction for people who can afford an EV, making those who can't afford an EV help with the purchase and pay all the road taxes.
Maverick
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

I think we're going back to the early 70's where car performance is going to drop. Sure short bursts are likely to be faster but batteries lack energy density needed to have the same kind of range as internal combustion engines, they take longer to fill, they require a resource that is harder to obtain than oil, and in the end batteries have a harder time storing the energy without catching on fire.

The new Ford EV truck uses 1% of its battery storage per mile when hauling a car/trailer or a camper. How many people are going to go for that?

If you want basic commuter transportation and have a place to charge an EV overnight then its an option, though I'm still having a hard time seeing how the masses are going to be willing to pay premiums for an EV over an ICE. If you have money to burn for your principles I can see it but I can't see the majority of people who buy a Cruze, Corolla or Focus shelling out an extra $10k or more for an EV.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]