1987 Corvette Z52

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Fred32v

Re: 1987 Corvette Z52

Post by Fred32v »

The replacement of the leaking heater core is complete,
the interior is buttoned up and ready to go.
On to replacing the freshened up cylinder heads.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Some visual progress today with the cylinder heads getting bolted back to the short block. We still have a long way to go, but at least it looks like something is happening!

-BP
Attachments
Heads on 12-31-22.jpg
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Yesterday we planned to put the new roller rockers on, throw in the pushrods, and adjust the valves, and maybe put the lower intake on. That went out the window when we read the directions and they were pretty specific about making sure you were using NEW pushrods. They didn't even have to be Comp Cams brand to match the rockers, just new ones so they would wear correctly into the hole. Oh well, there was plenty else to do so we got to cleaning up our mess on the floor under the car, and then installing the TWO fuel filters. One is a return line filter apparently put on '87-88ish Vettes in some random fashion that nobody knows how or why some cars have it, and some don't. It is a low pressure spin on cup, and they awesomely placed it above the pressure filter, but with a line that goes around the high pressure filter that has to be removed to get them both out, thus creating a non stop flow of fuel from the tank until you can cap it. Needless to say I was pretty stinky when I was done.
We put the rockers on just to look cool, but they're only finger tight. And we found a random piece of trim leftover from the heater core project under the car that covers all the stuff in the passenger's footwell, so we reinstalled that.

I'll be attempting to order pushrods today, as well as a new knock sensor since the old one had rubber that was all dried up. Also saw that the temp sensor on the driver's side was bent, most likely on it's trip to the head shop, so I'll get one of those too.

-BP
Attachments
fuel filter2 1-7-23.jpg
fuel filter1 1-7-23.jpg
rockers 1-7-23.jpg
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

A fuel filter on the return? That sounds like something those crazy germans would engineer.

-Dave
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

One thing is for sure, I'll have the cleanest gas around. So silly. And then the "temperature sensor" I was going to order is actually a cooling fan switch. That one took me quite awhile to figure out this morning.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Over the last two Saturday's we got the new pushrods in and the rockers "adjusted" for now. The lower intake was two Saturdays ago, and the plenum and runners was yesterday's session. We got the valve covers put back on too. Someone used RTV and rubber gaskets at the same time, so we had to wire wheel all the old RTV off those before installation. Somewhere along the line we lost four fuel injector harness clips on the drivers side. Not sure how that happened, BUT a quick trip to TireSmoke Central and we're back on track! Probably came from The Basement...

-BP
Attachments
pushrods intake 1-14-23.jpg
intake on 1-21-23.jpg
intake on2 1-21-23.jpg
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

This past weekend was lots of vacuum and wiring details. Had to bring orings for the fuel line hook ups too. Thanks to TireSmoker, we got the clips necessary to hook the fuel injection harness back on the driver's side too. 160 Thermostat got installed too.

-BP
Attachments
motor 1-28-23a.jpg
motor 1-28-23.jpg
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Yesterday we got the distributor installed, but before that happened we installed a new coil, ignition module, cap, and rotor. Then messed around a little getting it set to number one and getting the correct distributor wires installed. More next week. Since we are removing things, we have to pay special attention to loose wires to decide if they still have a home, or if their match is now in the scrap heap. The coil removed is date coded October of '86 and would be date correct to the car.

-BP
Attachments
distributor 2-4-23.jpg
coil 2-4-23.jpg
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

A few days after the last post, I got sick, and I've had a crappy run since. Today was the first time I've worked on anything since. Working on a small energy reserve, we picked a reasonable size project to knock out on the Corvette. We decided to replace the factory starter with our new mini starter while the headers were still out.
The project went smoothly with no major issues and I didn't even have to clock the new starter any differently than the way they sent it. After the install we inspected it under operation and verified clearances and all was well. I'm sure this was at least a 10-12 lb savings, if not more (didn't weigh them). And being a basically stock motor, this starter should always start this car especially compared to the original starter we took out.
Unfortunately after turning the motor over, there was gas running down the back of the motor, so I'll have to pull the line off the back of the manifold and put a new o-ring on it.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I got to the fuel leak first this morning. It was on the line for the extra fuel injector for starting enrichment. So I had to pull all the injector harness off the driver's side, the vacuum line for the master cylinder, and the injector itself out to get to this fitting. Once I pulled it apart, it looks like I already replaced the o-ring. So I cleaned everything up carefully, and just reinstalled it, making sure that it stayed clean and the fitting was TIGHT when I was done and now the leak is gone. So that's good.

Then I went on to install the headers, but before that, there is a knock sensor and coolant sensor of some sort on the passenger's side that go in first. Then on the driver's side I think is a fan relay too. Once that was done the headers went on pretty easily. Before I put the Y-Pipe on, I'll have to tackle the coolant lines for the oil cooler. Those will be much easier to access with the exhaust out of the way.

-BP
Attachments
gas leak 4-1-23.jpg
gas leak2 4-1-23.jpg
headers driv side 4-1-23.jpg
headers pass side 4-1-23.jpg
wxo

Post by wxo »

What's left to do? Are you getting close?
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Well, it still seems like there's a lot to do before we actually drive it again. Just working from memory, all the accessory drive needs to be done which includes installing the new air pump idler bracket. We also need to modify the A/C bracket since there's no A/C compressor anymore. The power steering pressure line is leaking, and so that needs replaced immediately, but we also need to get a power steering cooler installed at some point before a track day.
The exhaust Y-pipe needs to be reinstalled, but the main pipe where it slips in is bent up some, so that will need to be addressed at that time. Before that happens I will most likely pull the tranny pan and put a new filter on and probably a new pan with a drain plug.
The HVAC unit we modified needs reinstalled. The oil cooler lines need all put back together down by the oil filter.

These are the most obvious ones to me. There's also new shocks that need installed, new brake pads all the way around, and a tranny cooler that will eventually need to go in.

Once the weather breaks, we'll get after it a little harder so we can at least drag race and autocross it this summer. A track day may or may not be in the cards this year. There's lots of other question marks before that happens.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

This Saturday I got the spark plug wires on. I took the blower fan assembly and threw a few coats of high temp black paint we had laying around, and then installed it. I need to order a new pressure line for the P/S assembly as I know that was leaking, and try to find new hose from the reservoir to the P/S pump. Rock auto shows the pressure line, but not the reservoir hose.

-BP
Attachments
4-8-23a.jpg
4-8-23.jpg
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Yesterday we got the oil cooler lines all hooked up. I had one new one, and we just made a new one out of stock material. The heater hose assembly all got installed. I bought a new T-line and the rest was either good enough to reuse or we made new ones. The lower radiator hose got installed too since it was wide open. While under the car and looking at the oil cooler, we did an oil and filter change too.

Next up will be figuring out the accessory drive. The alternator, power steering, and air pump dummy assembly should be reasonably straight forward, but the A/C side will require some mild engineering.

-BP
Attachments
oil cooler lines 4-15-23.jpg
lower radiator hose 4-15-23.jpg
heater hoses 4-15-23.jpg
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Saturday was to attack the power steering, alternator, and dummy air pump brackets. The power steering got new pressure and return lines too as the original pressure line was leaking slightly. Eventually a p/s cooler will go on but that's not necessary until track days are in the plan. It took a few hours to get this all sorted out as the air pump idler bracket didn't come with instructions and it's been more than six months since we took it all apart. But at the end of the day, everything fit as designed, and that air pump idler assembly is rock solid and looks completely true.
Next I have to figure out the bracket on the A/C side since the A/C is no longer there. I'll get serious about that next week.

-BP
Attachments
4-22-23a.jpg
4-22-23d.jpg
4-22-23e.jpg
4-22-23c.jpg
4-22-23b.jpg