1987 Corvette Z52

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Basement Paul

Re: 1987 Corvette Z52

Post by Basement Paul »

When I saw yours on the flatbed, I felt super bad. That's just so frustrating when new parts are garbage. It has been almost ten months since we've turned a wheel, and since it was dad's birthday, that made it a little cooler.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Yesterday we took a trip to Summit with a couple parts to return, and a new coil to purchase. We drove the Vette and put over 80 miles of normal driving on it with no issues. The HVAC engineering we put together seems to work perfectly, bringing in actual cool air from the outside, and somehow even though we had the dash all apart for the heater core, the air flow direction still seems to function as designed. It drove the freeway at 74mph like nothing, passed a semi on a two lane and got up to 90 with no issues. The thermostat is 160 and I never saw the car go over 165 the whole trip, and it was 80 degrees outside. According to the factory gauge, the oil ran around 172 degrees which I assume it probably pretty good. We're trying to burn off fuel, but this was getting almost 24mpg as indicated by the factory system, so it's going to take some time to run this tank dry. The detonation is still there of course, but hopefully when the new coil arrives this week, we'll be good.

Looking forward to taking this to the dragstrip, and beginning the other maintenance upgrades like shocks and brakes.

-BP
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

Did you check the springs in the distributor? I think that if the springs are too weak,
you’ll be getting the detonation you’re hearing.

GM
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

All electronic in this one, no springs attached.

-BP
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

You could siphon out that old gas to expedite the process. I highly doubt Dad's tractor would ping on it lol.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Start driving around in D instead OD..
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I actually do want to run the whole tank through. Even though it's older gas, it does have the fuel injector cleaner I put in it so I'd like that stuff to do some work. If I have to wait another week or so, it's no big deal. I've waited this long...

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I got the new Pertronix coil installed today. Unlike the AC Delco coil, this one actually works. I drove it to Summit again today and unfortunately the new coil didn't fix the detonation problem. It runs good still but I think it may have actually made it slightly worse. So now I'll go after checking the fuel delivery next. With the new fuel filters already installed, I'll check the fuel pressure and see where that takes us.

-BP
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

it might be too lean - for under $200 you can get rebuilt injectors. it's an option when/if you run out of other options
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I'm not ruling anything out right now. It's set at stock timing, 6BTC, and IMO it should really be able to run at least 10-12 degrees safely on premium gas. Once I check the pressure, I'll decide where to go from there as far as regulator, fuel pump, or injectors.

-BP
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

We should have a fuel pressure regulator with a gauge like WXO,
so we can change whenever we feel like it.
It does seem to effect the Vette's throttle response.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
wxo

Post by wxo »

This is the one I have: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C ... UTF8&psc=1
It has special bracketing to mount to the LT1 fuel rail. The gauge is extra.
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Today we had a few minutes so we checked the fuel pressure and it's functioning completely as designed and within spec, even at WOT when I hear the detonation. It provides more pressure under power, and holds pressure when it's shut off. Next up, a check of the injectors.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

If I thought more pressure would help, I'd gladly put an adjustable one on there, but it's running about 38.5 at idle, and around 44 at WOT. All very acceptable numbers for a stock L98 in 1987 guise. I suspect really that dirty injectors are to blame, because literally everything else is covered IMO.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

If they all test OK, I'm going to get two bottles of Chevron / Techron and run it through on the next tank. That stuff has always worked pretty well for me with GMs crappy injectors. The car does have a small miss at idle which is more pronounced now with the new coil, which is typical for dirty GM injectors I've had in the past.

-BP