Re: iRacing Spec5 World Tour

Post by Fred32v »

I;ll be watching. Good luck.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Mid Ohio was a decent race. Didn't put in a lot of practice - felt pretty quick but made a couple mistakes on qualifying laps and only managed P24 of 28 cars. I only recall making one on track pass for position, but was able to save fuel and this paid off as I had the fastest pit stop of anyone in the race. Originally had hoped to lead a lap but when Kamden came out of his pit ahead of me and I had not pitted yet, that dream was over. Through attrition and good pit strategy ended up P19. There were 2 cars close ahead but just could not get the timing right to make a pass in the closing 2 laps.

Also note the open class is much larger this season as we redrew the classes to better balance things out.

Up next: Mosport on 8/31: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX52l9iaMCw
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Mosport is one of my favorite tracks - similar to Nelson in that it has a lot of high speed corners and is easy on brakes.

Once again I messed up laps 3 and 4 of qualifying and ended up P29 of 30 on the grid. The tires don't really come in well until lap 3 so pretty much missed my best two chances for a good lap time. .5 second slower than I could have been cost me about 5 spots. Starting in the back has one advantage - don't have to worry about getting run over on the start!

There were no major wrecks in this race, but a lot of drivers who changed tires had problems on their out lap. They couldn't manage the cold tires well and there were quite a few spins. One top driver was short on fuel and had to pit twice. I saved a lot of fuel in the draft - working my butt off to not lose the draft and also taking every opportunity to coast to save. This paid huge dividends as the pack I was with ended up way behind me, because for the second week in a row I had the fastest pit stop of everyone who only pitted once. I came out just behind a slightly faster pack of cars and was able to hold onto their draft for about 4 laps and the guys behind me got to racing and were not able to close the gap and pass me in the closing laps after that. Once I lost the draft I decided not to overdrive the car and end up making mistakes.

In the end I finished P14 and fourth in open class. At 34 seconds behind the leaders this was the same gap as last week.

This week we are at Sebring for a night race! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g2wqTXZIuY
-BP[/quote]
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

P29 to P14?? Nice work!!
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Tonight: Daytona Road Course: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1Yuwaw4gZY

Draft heavy and fast, should be a fun one to watch.
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Up tonight is Sonoma: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3DvoWJZFlw

Race 5 summary: Daytona yielded an OK result, not a great result. I lost some time in the early going as I was dodging spinning cars, then I got stuck in a pack with 2 guys who were not fast but fast enough to use the draft to get ahead. Pitted early but messed up the pit by going past the stall and overfilling a bit. Starting P27 of 33 and ending up P19. Had some good racing with Orlando the last few laps and gained quite a few spots late due to some people ending up short and needing a second pit stop.

Race 4 summary: Okayama was similar. Qualified P25 of 27, and ended up P21. There was not much crashing which limited my ability to move up. I finished 53 seconds behind the leader, which was better than Sebring the week before but not as much advancing due to less mistakes by others I guess.

Race 3 summary: The broadcast crew had a power outage so they were unable to cover it the regular date, but did a live replay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO-osDW6sUI . Sebring continued the streak of not qualifying great. P28 of 31. Lap 1 turn 1 there was a big wreck and I had to go way wide to get around it but made it through unscathed and gained about 7 spots. The pit sequence was not great as my refuel sheet had errors so I just took the 3 gallons rather than being able to subtract off what I had saved. I got hit in T3 just a little as I slowed down when the guy pinched me off but this cost me at least three spots, and the problem compounded two laps later in T1 when I tried an outside move on a guy and he neglected to turn in and we made contact. Still don't know why I didn't get spun out since I was on the outside there. Pretty sure all three of the guys that got by had issues before the end so I regained those spots but I was too far back to catch the other cars ahead. Ended up P16 which is pretty good result in this league.
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Up tonight is VIR: https://www.youtube.com/live/i7YJWngwP- ... CpCDILpmmm

Race 6 summary: Sonoma is a track I like, though I qualified .5 slower than I practiced, netting P21 starting position. About 5 laps in I got punted in T11 which didn't ruin the car but it put me back to dead last, though I did manage to get to P19 before it was all over. I was right on the tail of P18 but only got there in the last lap and was not able to make a move. Ended 56 seconds behind the lead, and the lost time would have netted just one position.

I skipped race 7 since it was at Silverstone Legacy - which is a track I do not particularly like. The idea was to put some of the time saved into prep for VIR, though so far it has not netted me much improvement. Track temps are going to be fairly cool and on cold tires this may catch some people out. We shall see if that helps or hurts.
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

At VIR I did not have a great qualifying effort again, and even though I spent extra time prepping I did not get a significant pace improvement. With 22 cars on the grid I started P20. There was melee lap 1 turn 1 and I attempted to go around in the grass. It didnt save me any time but I tagged the car in front - it was 0x contact in iRacing, but it separated the bumper cover from the fender so I'm sure I had a bit of drag there. After that I did everything in my power to stay in the draft of the group ahead of me. Just before pitting I was getting a bit out of range, but I'm better at pit stops and came out ahead of several cars from my draft group. After that I had to give up one spot when I got off line a bit into oak tree turn, but others mistakes and my lack of mistakes netted a P14 finish. Still in the hunt for top 3 in class for the season, though I don't see much opportunity to win the class here in season 14 unless I get really lucky.

Up next: Road America https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7eC9zEhC38
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Up next: Phillip Island https://www.youtube.com/live/oBw5Lr5fTTQ?si=0T-pgpm

Road America: Poor qualifying again put me starting P25 of 27. Got into a draft chain with several cars but two of them didn't understand how to stay in line. I used pit strategy to get ahead of all of them (4th fastest of the group for the race). Brian caught me and I hung in his draft which kept me just out of draft range until the last couple laps as his lap times were dropping off a bit. Really had to take defensive lines the last lap to hold my spot. Taking advantage of others mistakes I moved up to P16.
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Lately I cannot qualify my way out of a paper bag. Started P20 of 23. Was able to get in draft of some faster guys that went off early and was working my way up until I double downshifted on lap 6 or 7. It ran enough to limp back to the pits where I used the 1 fast repair to get back on track. IT was too early for the scheduled stop so I was pretty much doomed to a poor finish. Was in P22 for quite a while til pit stops happened. With about 3 to go I had t o come in for a little bit of fuel. I came out with Paulo just ahead so there was a fight for position. I managed a last lap pass and between that and some attrition I ended up P16.

Can't win open this season, but P16 counts for the points, and the guy who is 4th in points finished just one position ahead of me. Since the league hands out bonus points for no contact, I actually gained a point on him. I'm like 12 points ahead at the moment which is like 6 positions on track around where I am finishing.

3 to go.

Up next: Night racing at Road Atlanta. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCjtvPlWzAk
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Road Atlanta: I qualified decent and several people had problems qualifying and early on which allowed me to stay close to my P12 qualifying for most of the race. I was leading open class for a good bit of the time. Josh got ahead of me and into 10a-10b he was a little sideways and I lost focus on my turning point. I went wide but not off track. Problem was it killed my momentum and there was a train of cars behind me so I lost a bunch of spots. Could not get my rhythm back after that. Ended P18.

Up next: Nordschleife https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEnw7d1jaSs
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Nordschleife was lightly attended - 18 cars. Qualified the best lap time I have so far at this track - at a little less than 8 seconds behind the leader which got me a P15 start. The last two laps were fairly intense as one of the faster drivers was closing in and Tom Athon was ahead with a littel aero damage. I passed Tom on the uphill back straight and just managed to hold off the other guy to end up P12. This was P3 in class and 45 seconds behind the leader - which is about average for me. I had more speed in testing but was not able to duplicate it in race conditions.

Up next: Finale for season 14 at Monza Combined tonight at 9:30. This track has a giant oval, 3 proper turns and 3 chicanes. Lap times around three and a half minutes. It's 90 minutes of Talladega crossed with a road course - gonna try and miss the big one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDJRqckaS3U
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Monza Combined had 20 cars show up. I made small errors on two of the qualifying laps and ended up starting P19. I got in a train with a few guys I normally race with and we were able to not make mistakes, and keep the wheels moving. This was a 90 minute race and required two stops. I spent a lot of time in draft and had just about lost it but was able to close up the gap in the first stop.

We had a glitch during the race that affected several drivers - we reported it to iRacing though I imagine it'll be a while til we hear anything back.

Three of us kept working together after the second pit stop as there was a faster car about 4 seconds back, but using the draft we were able to maintain the gap. In the end the three of us raced each other for position on the last lap, and I ended up in the middle of that pack and P8 overall. This was my best finish in 60+ races in this league. As far as open class, I was third.

I ended the season third in open class as well.

I've informed league admin team I'm stepping away from my admin responsibilities and really do not expect to be in it full time for a while.
-BP[/quote]