Chevelle Projects 2022

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

TireSmoker
Site Admin

Re: Chevelle Projects 2022

Post by TireSmoker »

MostMint wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:56 am Good news is you have a working backup transmission. Bad news is it's time to change out the torque converter.
Yep, and that's part of the reason I went out and got a core transmission to have rebuilt. It still has the issue of not shifting 1-2 at WOT, though. But solid enough it could be pressed into service.
Basement Paul wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:45 pm Can I recommend a new flexplate while you're in there anyway? They're not expensive, you're looking right at it, and yours is old and has spun around millions of times. Maybe an SFI one.
That's probably a good idea. I'll do that.

On a different note, I replaced the wire from the firewall/bulkhead connector that goes to the starter. It works consistently now, but it's only showing 6 volts, which is why the starter isnt working. I've already replaced the switch. Guess I gotta crawl under the dash again.

-Dave
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

I talked to Edge Converters today, I'm gonna send mine in and they'll take a look at it. I guess that means I'll pull the trans back out, probably this weekend.

Also, Paul was at Summit the day after he suggested a new flexplate, and found one in the clearance area.

-Dave
Blue_69_malibu

Post by Blue_69_malibu »

New Flex Plate AND on Clearance? Well done!!
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Well the trans is ready to come out again. It is down to the last bellhousing bolt. Everything else is out. I feel bad asking Jerry for his trans jack again -- he got it back from me last Saturday because he was working on something.

-Dave
Blue_69_malibu

Post by Blue_69_malibu »

Jerry likes your company and your jokes. You're the perfect neighbor for him.

He won't care.....at all. :)
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Or you could buy a tranny jack. You have enough cars to justify owning one. Gives you a reason to buy something cool.

-BP
Blue_69_malibu

Post by Blue_69_malibu »

Run up to Auto Zone or Summit and ask for the "Bruce Jenner Tranny Jack".

Let me know what you leave the store with...........
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

I don't wanna own a trans jack because they eat a lot of floor space, although they are on wheels. Having a next door neighbor to borrow one from is the absolute best -- except when he's using when you wanna borrow it. First world problems.

We had dinner with Speeces last night and Dave mentioned his little transmission jack adapter that he had made for a 700r4-4wd. That little wooden box captures the pan on all 4 sides. And it's bolted to a saddle for the jack, it's very steady.

He came out tonight to help and it went pretty easy since I had everything ready to the last bellhousing bolt. I just had to crawl under it, situate the jack, pull the crossmember out (already unbolted), and then just raise the car up in the air.

I'll get the converter sent out tomorrow.

-Dave
Attachments
20230303_161026.jpg
20230303_194323.jpg
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Got the converter sent off to Edge on Monday. Prob gonna be a couple weeks before I have something back. In the mean time, I'll try to get back to my failed starter wire. Something is degraded under the dash, I'm only getting 6 volts from the starter wire at the bulkhead.

-Dave
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Well, I just got off the phone with Andre @ Edge, and he says the converter is perfect inside. I had sent him a link to the video I posted and he saw something I didnt -- At 0:26, just as the noise starts, there appears to be a spark by the flexplate/starter area. He thinks my starter/flexplate are making contact. I'm gonna give that a look-see. I do have replacement flexplate.

video link again: https://files.tiresmoke.org/f/531e167b04bb47459f1e/

-Dave
Blue_69_malibu

Post by Blue_69_malibu »

Annoying....but easily and cheaply fixable.

Do you have the same starter as I do?

Mine's the one that says "Bad Mother Starter".....................
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Well, good news and bad news. The good news is, that upon closer inspection, it does seem the starter was hitting the flexplate. I took this pic before removing the flexplate, and there certainly isn't much clearance between the starter gear and the flexplate.
20230316_205646.jpg
But I can definitely see some contact marks now.
20230316_213013.jpg
That's the good news, because I feel like I've found the problem.

The bad news is that the flexplate Paul found at Summit is the wrong size. I didn't know there were two different size flexplates for 1pc Rear Main Seal chevys. Interestingly, it's the same size as one from one of my 400s. The one from the ZZ383 is probably an inch smaller in diameter. So I gotta order a new flexplate. More to come...

-Dave
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

It runs! Friday night, I went out in the garage and got busy. I replaced the GM factory flexplate wiith one of my new $10 expired-SFI flexplates from Summit. Used a set of new ARP flexplate bolts, torqued to 65 lb-ft. I was able to get Jerry's transmission jack again, and with the help of my friend Jered's son Charlie, we lifted the trans up on it. They held it secure while I installed the torque converter. Jerry's transmission jack really makes this job easy.

After that, it was just bolting it all together. Everything went back together very well. It was one of those satisfying times where the first time I started it, everything was right. I put it in gear, sorta ciringing/waiting to hear a noise, but there was none! I put it in reverse, gave it a little throttle, no noise. Put in in Drive. Throttle. No noise! woo hoo! It was 11:30pm, it was wet/drizzly out and such, so there would be no test drive, but I did move it up to the front garage. If you look at the front garage pic, you can see test results.. haha
20230331_233124.jpg
20230401_091755.jpg

So while putting it all together, I had an audience of Jered, Charlie, and Mike Steigerwald. Jered had asked me a few weeks back about bringing his oldest-son Charlie's Jeep in town for some suspension repair and other maintenance. I told him Sure, no problem once my Chevelle was back together. Jered recruited Mike to help him and Charlie. We pulled the Jeep inside and pulled the wheels off and WD40'd the fasteners that were to be removed.

Saturday was spent in the garage working Charlie's Jeep. Mike and Charlie did the bulk of the laboring, while Jered and I, and later Chris too, helped with tools and guidance and such.

At the end of the day, the Jeep had new rear shocks, new front shocks + springs, new sway bar bushings + end links, new tie rod, oil change, 6 new spark plugs, plug wires, and an air filter. Between the broken front spring, bad tie rod and crappy shocks, it had been a disaster to drive, so we made a substantial improvement. He had parts to do the front axle u-joints, but that looked a little more involved. They didnt seem terrible and would provide questionable improvement.

-Dave
Attachments
20230401_132515.jpg
20230401_142829.jpg
20230401_142839.jpg
20230401_144030.jpg
20230401_013230.jpg
Blue_69_malibu

Post by Blue_69_malibu »

The bottom picture reminds me of "It's a red car, Reverend"......

Is Jared wearing a Beastie Boys t-shirt? :)
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

I got my license plate sticker and made a trip to Sunoco and back on Monday. First time on the road since Oct '21!

It's been a year+ since I've touched this car, so I forgot about some of the other changes. When I was building the Maliboost, I took the throttle body from the Chevelle (Holley) and put it on there with a known-good IAC & TPS sensor. The one on the car now (BBK) had an unknown IAC/TPS. The throttle blades are slightly too far open. I ended up swapping the IAC with one on the shelf, but ultimately I think they are both good. Megasquirt has a handy test-mode that will cycle the IAC fully open-closed repeatedly, or you can command it to a set position.

With the IAC all the way closed, it's still idling over 1000rpm. The throttle blade adjustment screw is a little 3mm allen, but it's oddly tough to get at when installed on the car. I'll try to get that sorted this afternoon and hopefully go for a more extended drive.

-Dave