Fall Carlisle 2022

Information about upcoming races, swap meets & shows

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Fred32v

Fall Carlisle 2022

Post by Fred32v »

GmJohnny thought we were going to the Spring Carlisle April 20th - 24th,
sadly I've been booked on a cruise from April the 10th through to 30th.

So, the Fall Carlisle dates are Sept. 28th thru Oct 2nd.

Other choices,
Ford June 03rd - 05th, Fri., Sat., Sun.
GM June 24th - 25th, Sat., Sun.
Truck Aug 25th - 07th, Fri., Sat., Sun.
Corvettes Aug 25th - 27th, Thu., Fri., Sat.

Corvettes might be fun for some, I'm open to anything, but I think Fall is the best option for me.

Sorry about the conflict, for sure I won't be cruising on the Fall dates.

Thoughts?
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
Basement Paul

Re: Fall Carlisle 2022

Post by Basement Paul »

The GM one may fall around our vacation, and Spring might still be in my way of finishing the Great Storage Unit Teardown (god I hope not). Fall seems to make more sense to me.

I would go to Ford, but I'm in the minority here I'm sure.

-BP
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

My vote is on fall.

GM
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Fall would be my vote as well. Can't commit 100% yet as I have to firm up race schedule but that would be the only reason I would not make the fall event.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

I have made reservations for Fall Carlisle. Since Quality Inn wasn't wonderful, we changed where we are staying.

We are rooming at
Fairfield by Marriott Carlisle
1528 Commerce Ave.
Carlisle, Pa 17015
Phone 1-717.243.2080

I reserved two non-smoking doubles for 3 nights.
Thursday Sept. 29th, departing Sunday morning.
Paul and John will be joining me.

Andy will be booking his own room, I'm expecting Matt and Mike to do the same.

Who else will be joining us at this Fall Carlisle 2022?
Fred32v
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

As of now Rhonda, Rachel and I will be arriving Friday, planning to do the whole day Saturday and return home Sunday. We're staying at an Airbnb less than a mile from the fairgrounds.

Still have to work out if we are doing the swap meet Friday afternoon, and what vehicle to bring.
-BP[/quote]
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Cool that the Mint one will be there. Might be able to catch them
for a dinner or breakfast meal somewhere along the line.

In that same vane, thinking a little ahead to Fall Carlisle,
things are firming up. The second room that I reserved is now being held
to be used by Matt and Mike et.al.. BP, GMJohn and I are in the other.

I took the time today to wash and scrub the TireSmoke grill this afternoon.
starting to disassemble
starting to disassemble
Everything is clean
Everything is clean
Ready to go again!
Ready to go again!
The supplies, gas, utensils, plates, etc. are ready to go.
Fred32v
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

It was a fun and interesting rain shortened weekend.

Due to the pending arrival of the remains of hurricane Ian, my crew moved up our expected departure time on Friday to 7:15 AM and made the trek to Carlisle.

After the debacle last year with PA turnpike having no toll gates and sending an exorbitant bill for the tolls, I decided to invest the extra half hour each way and avoid the turnpike. This has us going along 80 in PA for a fair bit of the way, then taking various roads south and east to complete the trip. I started making notes but after seeing the guidance on Google maps I just decided to let it guide me. I figured I would turn on the GPS at some point in PA on 80 before exit 161. Well I should have turned it on right away as there was an accident on 76 in Akron we could have avoided if we had let the GPS tell us. Only lost maybe 15 minutes but still. After that the trip was fairly routine until the exit off 80. We were on 322 for a while and that is a decent road out there, but then we drove through a lot of small towns, and up and down mountains on plenty of winding roads. PA state route 74 for instance would be a great touring road.

We ended up at the fairgrounds about 12:45 which was not too bad, and met up with the group not too much later. For the afternoon we covered sections they had not - which was basically the stuff on the freeway side of the grandstands. Shortly after we got started Rhonda and Rachel were making purchases - we now have some little blue reflectors for the mailbox and Rachel has a child size folding chair for her cats to sit on. I found ball bungees and clips I think I can use for my hood pins. I also found a Kirkey racing seat with a red cover, and an old set of racing seat belts for $45 - this will likely be the passenger seat of the Vette for track days. After a couple hours of this we separated from the group as they had seen the rest already and went to look at cars.

I came across a couple C4 Corvette guys. Neither had the current power steering cooler bracket I needed, but Steve had a pair of intake runners and the auxiliary fan - so for $60 I had some parts I wanted. He also said he had the power steering bracket back at his place, and would look for it. Steve was one of several vendors I spoke with about whether they were staying or not. He was one of the few that said he would just pack up Monday if he had to. Most were not wanting to hang around in the rain all day Saturday, and you could see many of them packing up Friday afternoon. Right near the end I came across a pair of red and black aftermarket bucket seats. The material was intact though they were a bit dirty. The guy was packing up. He said he wanted $120, but I was hesitant. As I stood there looking at them he lowered the price to $100 so he wouldn't have to put them on the truck. I sat in one, and it felt good. I'm thinking this is going to be a seat for my racing rig, so I offered him $80 and he took it. So now I went about the business of fitting three seats in... er... on the wagon, along with the other stuff on there. With some shuffling I put these seats back to back, put the aluminum seat on one of them, and bungee corded them down along with the vintage Olds air cleaner and other misc items we had. This was at about 4:45 and so many vendors were closing up this was time to call it a day.

We then went to our AirBNB which was a nice little ranch house - really nice quiet place 5 minutes from the grounds, then off to dinner at the diner.

We met BP and Fred32v for breakfast Saturday AM. By then it was already raining and they were not hanging around for the meet. We had brought rain gear so we decided to give it a go. We were already there after all. The rainy Saturday was very lightly attended. We went to gate 5, and they actually had us park inside the gate at the top of the hill. The Corolla was not supporting all our stuff and the wagon, so the wagon was on its way home - but I had my trusty Army bag. As it turned out only about 10-15% of the vendors were open. Overnight I remembered I had not asked Steve about the Z51 leaf springs so at least we could work on that. When we got to his booth Steve was not there. I did however see the FHB spring that I needed. I'd been chasing these springs for quite a while and had yet to find one. Those that had sold were fetching $200 or more. No worries we'd come back when we were done.

The weather was low 50's and we had light rain, sometimes no rain, sometimes moderate rain, but it was definitely manageable as a shopper at the meet.

I had one other buy - we stopped at a vendor with army surplus to see about another bag. I had loaned mine to Kurt and it came back with a hole in it from a muzzle flash that was too close to the bag. Well there were a couple old guys running it and after a couple minutes in the trailer a bag was found and for $10 I have a replacement bag. They were saying that originally the event oragnizers rented these grounds but after a few years they bought the grounds for these events. The one guy said he had been there every year since it started in 1974.

Anyway after maybe 2 1/2 hours covering the rows in the front of the grounds we had walked pretty much the entire place, so it was time to see Steve and then be on our way. We returned to Steve's booth but again he was not there. I had picked up one of his cards yesterday so I texted him and we waited like 10 minutes - no Steve. At this point we decided to get back to the AirBNB, pack up and come back and see him later. We made it out of the gate and almost to the road when he called back. The spring was $75. So a quick trip back into parking and across the fairgrounds and I had it in my bag. He did not have the right rear spring there. At this point I gave him my contact info and the parts I needed, including Z51 springs for BP's 87.

After that we headed back to the AirBNB and got everything packed up, had a quick lunch and a nap, and were on our way. The GPS took me a different route on the way back, with some amazingly steep roads. There were a few instances I needed to go down to second gear as a sharp turn was followed by a steep incline. We were very fortunate not to get caught behind trucks or slow traffic on these roads. After about an hour in light rain, it started raining to where the regular wiper speed was almost not enough to keep the windows clean, and that persisted until just over halfway through when the rains stopped and the roads were dry.

In all it was a fun event and did pretty well on my shopping list.

edits:
1) note for future reference - Sunday was free admission for this event. Kinda expect the same for future years
2) possible path to try: 76E to 80E to 99S to 322E to 22S to 81W
Attachments
A41D3F55-F022-480A-8158-61AD0BDEFE61.jpeg
99041962-27C4-4CB0-AE8B-F2E7A127D68D.jpeg
C1030F44-B70B-4B99-80F4-607F2AE878CF.jpeg
3C9BF6F1-BFCC-48D2-9F4D-9DC6A09AADA4.jpeg
-BP[/quote]
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Because of the Saturday rain, dad and I decided to take in a few afternoon hours at the swap meet on Thursday, before we got to the hotel. Then we packed as much in on Friday as possible with GMJohnny and Andy, Rhonda, and Rachel. Since we didn't really have too much to buy, we decided that a 50 degree rainy day with minimal vendors wouldn't be that appealing, so we split on Saturday after breakfast. All I bought was a Carlisle Meet pocket t-shirt, an AC Cobra wall tin for Kevin who just bought one in the same color, and some swap meet booze, which was a first for us. I'm going to have to time it up to where I want to buy a car at a Carlisle swap meet. I always see a couple that would be really cool and actually reasonably priced.

Looking forward to next year's event.

-BP
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_20220929_160614104_HDR.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_20220930_082640358.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_20220930_083248356_HDR.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_20220929_154508042.jpg