1965 Oldsmobile 442

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

GMJohnny

1965 Oldsmobile 442

Post by GMJohnny »

This was a busy weekend. I found a 65 442 in Detroit. I saw it on Facebook Marketplace on Thursday, talked to the owner on Friday and, with Fred as my co-pilot and navigator, went for the 200 mile one way drive on Saturday. I was super lucky that the owner was upstanding and held true to his word that he would hold the car for me until I saw it. I felt very comfortable that he was giving me all the details he could about the car he had owned for the last 15 years. This car is very clean and rust free. It’s not a perfect show car but there’s a ton of car to work with. It’s a real 442 with the B block 400, 4 speed Muncie and a 3.55 rear posi. The interior is very clean and very presentable. I’ll call this car a good start! Today, after sleeping very well last night, I started evaluating what I had. I changed the screws under the center console door as it was loose. I walked around the car and lubed every hinge, lock cylinder and door handles. I also made sure I had enough keys to start the car, unlock both doors, and unlock the trunk. I do. I cleaned and tightened the battery cables and tested functions of the car. The tachometer will need to be looked at as it doesn’t function. The power antenna will sometimes work. The reverse lights don’t work. I put the driver side window down and it won’t go back up. These will be the starting points. I’m certain there will be many posts regarding little things like this. I’ll pick away at them. A bigger issue is the tires have next to perfect tread, but were put on in early 2000’s. They’ll need to be replaced for sure. I’m not sure I will be keeping the rims that are on the car, I might opt for torque thrusts and 17’s or maybe even spinner caps and whitewalls. I’m not sold 100% on this style of wheel for this 442, but these wheels are very nice. I’m a big redline tire fan, but I’m not sure I want it for this car. Raised whites are not an option.So much to figure out! At least I have a very solid platform to start with! More to come!

GM
On the trailer
On the trailer
In the barn
In the barn
Mileage
Mileage
Engine compartment
Engine compartment
Last edited by GMJohnny on Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fred32v

Re: 1965 Oldsmobile 442

Post by Fred32v »

it was obvious that the couple that owned this 442 really enjoyed it for the years they had it.
The wife wanted to say goodbye.
Goodbye 442
Goodbye 442
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

dude. thats awesome!! Didnt waste anytime turning around and getting another one. I love the color. Is this going to get converted to tri-power??

-Dave
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

TireSmoker wrote:dude. thats awesome!! Didnt waste anytime turning around and getting another one. I love the color. Is this going to get converted to tri-power??

-Dave
No sir! This one has a square bore rochester on it. I’ll have to see how it performs before I make decisions
on it. It’s the one that came on it originally and it seems to start and run ok with it.

GM
wxo

Post by wxo »

OK, couple of things...if the audience gets a vote, I like the wheels on the 442 now. They just look right for it. Just my 2¢
Secondly, I hope the picture of the car in the garage is not your garage. That garage is way too pristine if you ask me.
Third, I was bummed when I read that you had sold the '66, but you did real good with this one. It is a worthy replacement.
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

wxo wrote:OK, couple of things...if the audience gets a vote, I like the wheels on the 442 now. They just look right for it. Just my 2¢
Secondly, I hope the picture of the car in the garage is not your garage. That garage is way too pristine if you ask me.
Third, I was bummed when I read that you had sold the '66, but you did real good with this one. It is a worthy replacement.
WXO,

1) I’m interested in everyone’s opinion, I’d invite all to chime in on the wheel selection.
2) The picture is in my barn. You don’t see the majority of the crap in there because it’s
on shelves behind the car and on the side of the barn I’m photoing from.
3) I was surprised the ‘66 sold, but was totally fine with it. I’ve wanted a ‘65 since I was
in high school. It’s very similar to the ‘66, but different. I’m excited to dig in to it!

GM
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

The style of wheel looks good - and cursory checking shows a lot of them with the same style wheel. Tried looking at some original 1965 442 ads and they all seem to have the thin redwall. Not sure I'd go with the redwall on a blue car but a narrow whitewall might look good or some raised white letters (even though I know you are not a fan).

I am totally not a fan of the 56 year old look of those narrow tires under that big car. It should have 245's under it at least.

And while I'm ordering up stuff for someone else's car, how about a 5 speed so you can drive it every day, some seats that'll protect your neck if you get hit in the back, and a shoulder belt if it doesn't already have that.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

Now that the ball is rolling:

Option #1: https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-GYmNE7I7VX0/ ... 600/06.jpg

Option #2: https://www.velocityjournal.com/images/ ... 829210.jpg

Option #3: https://images.fineartamerica.com/image ... koontz.jpg

Option #4: https://bringatrailer.com/wp-content/up ... =940%2C626

The easiest and least expensive route would be using my really nice wheels with raised white letters or black walls on them. This option would require a 215/70 R14. The redline option would be the same size tire and same wheel, still pretty easy. The other two options have me searching out wheels and tires….

As for different seats, that won’t happen. I like the stock interior, I’ll have to do without head rests. A five speed may be
in the future for this one, but not likely this year. The goal this year is to get it turn-key and dependable. Hopefully I can
achieve that by next December.

GM
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Since we're voting, I'm for the redlines on stock mags. Torque Thrusts or any aftermarket wheel won't do that car justice. If it was just a Cutlass, then dress it up, but a 442 should proudly run a more stock look IMO. Especially since the car is basically stock already.

-BP
wxo

Post by wxo »

I agree with BP with the exception of tires. Those stock mags look just right for this car. I could go with redlines, but I like the look of the white letters a lot, too. They project the 442 image. I also agree with Mostmint on the tires. They need to be as wide as you can get them and still fit with no interference.
Since we are fanaticizing here, I wonder if those stock style mags are available in 16" or 17". Maybe someone makes 'em.
wxo

Post by wxo »

I was thinking of the name for those stock mags. I think they were called "Magnum 500's" or something like that. I believe I remember them on Mustangs at some point in time. Mopars, too, maybe.
TheRookie

Post by TheRookie »

My vote is existing mags with white letter tires. As for turnkey and dependable, is a Holley Sniper EFI an option? A little upfront investment but would get gains in both power and mileage that would justify it - not to mention time and sanity.
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Wheels are good the way they are.

-Dave
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

So these wheels are “SSi” wheels in Oldsmobile terms. I haven’t pulled them off the car yet, but I think they’re
7” wide. I stated that I’m not a RWL tire fan until I saw these:

https://www.cokertire.com/tires/firesto ... 70-14.html

They’re the same tread pattern as the redlines I ran before:

https://www.cokertire.com/tires/firesto ... 70-14.html

If I’m going to stick with the SSi’s the size will be 215/70/14 — stock. Either of these
might be a good option, I kind of like the Wide O Ovals, and nobody runs them on their
‘65. There are many with Cooper or BFG RWL’s…..

Matt.. I’m sticking with a carburetor— I can’t see the benefit of sniper. A simple carb rebuild will
make this last a solid ten years before a rebuild might be necessary.

GM
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

The wide ovals are a way cool option.

-BP