1989 Mustang GT Convertible #56

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Basement Paul

Re: 1989 Mustang GT Convertible #56

Post by Basement Paul »

I bought an aluminum spare rim with no tire off eBay awhile back, and before I swapped my current spare tire onto it, I mentioned to Kevin what I did. He tells me he's got one with a tire already mounted I could have. So I sold the one with no rim back on eBay and gave Kevin the proceeds, and now I don't have to monkey around with the tire swapping.
Looks to have saved about 10 lbs or so. These are relatively rare pieces anymore, but not necessarily in high demand.

-BP
Attachments
IMG_20220814_101735682.jpg
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

With a gift from GM Johnny, I had "new" Flowmaster mufflers for the Mustang. I was going to put them on there because any Foxbody Mustang 5.0 should have Flowmaters on it, but I didn't realize how bad my current mufflers were. I don't remember seeing any holes in them when I replaced the rearend and other exhaust parts. But the one had a big hole in it, and the other one sounded like a bunch of broken glass was inside. It turns out they were both just rotted completely inside, and most likely on top of being not a performance muffler, were relatively plugged with sheets of rust.
I was able to cut the old mufflers off without doing any real damage to the front pipes or tailpipes, so this made it possible to weld everything together. Weld is a relative term as I think the material GM left in the mufflers was some form of stainless steel, and it made my welds pretty boogery, but they should seal, and they're definitely not falling apart. And I was even able to weld the original hangers to these mufflers for some extra support.
I was able to tuck them up better than the old mufflers were, and straightened out the tailpipes a little. They're still not perfect, but you can barely see them, so I'm not too concerned about it now. I started it up, but haven't driven it yet, but it sounds like a proper 5.0 now, and after seeing how bad the old mufflers were, I'm expecting some performance gain as well.

-BP
Attachments
muffler8-25-22.jpg
muffler8-25-22a.jpg
muffler8-25-22b.jpg
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

In 2039, when those cars have their 50th anniversary at Pebble Beach, 100% concourse quality Foxbodies will have Flowmasters.
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

They do just belong together.

I just got back from my first test drive and those mufflers FIXED this car! It now pulls strong to 5500 where it used to stutter and fall on its face at 5100. It sounds better, but never loud or obnoxious. And no leaks as far as I can tell.
I plan to go out with it next Wed too, and square off with GM Johnny and his Olds. I wholely expect a 14.6 @ 95mph. It's a big difference after 3500rpm. And I'm doing it with the top down, cuz I can.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

After a successful summer of top down driving, I know I like a convertible. I'm most likely going to sell this one shortly, and am most likely going to end up in a 2007-2009 Mustang Shelby GT500. I'm just beginning the process, but probably by the end of December or into January, I'll have completed my mission.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Mission completed (obviously). And for anyone in the market...

https://www.shultsfordharmarville.com/V ... &year=1989

-BP