Saturday Sept 18th - Mid-Ohio Track Day

Information about upcoming races, swap meets & shows

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Basement Paul

Saturday Sept 18th - Mid-Ohio Track Day

Post by Basement Paul »

I just signed up for Saturday September 18th to run the MVP Track Time track day at Mid-Ohio. There aren't a lot of one day slots left available for Saturday, so if you're interested, probably sign up quick.

http://user1274955.sites.myregisteredsite.com/id92.html

MVP Track Time

Racers and Track Junkies:
MVP Track Time is hosting our 4th annual “OH HI OH” three-day track event September 17-19, 2021 at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course. I hope you’ll join us for the on-track fun in beautiful Lexington, OH.
Our Novice, Intermediate and Advanced run group format offers you 2+ hours of scheduled driving time daily instead of standing around the paddock.
Registration for MVP Track Time’s event at Mid-Ohio is available on-line with Pay Pal at the link below. Reasonable entry fees for Mid-Ohio are:
Three Days: $650
Two Days: $455
Single Day: $275
On-Line Registration: http://www.mvptracktime.com/id92.html
Feel free to join us at Mid-Ohio in September for the on-track fun. All courteous, considerate, safe drivers are invited and welcome.
I'll see you at Mid-Ohio. Don't hesitate to contact me with any questions. Happy Motoring!
Mark Pfeffer – MVP Track Time, LLC.
http://www.MVPTrackTime.com
Phone: (314)249-3770
E-mail: Feffman@MVPTrackTime.com

Let's hope the weather is good. Now I'll have to start watching Mid-Ohio track video to start learning before I go.

-BP
MostMint

Re: Saturday Sept 18th - Mid-Ohio Track Day

Post by MostMint »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtkKmWNLbAM

Ignore the hand on the shifter all the time lol.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

From my confirmation email:

Friday, September 17 through Sunday, September 19, 2021 [Same Schedule Daily]
6:00AM – Track Opens/Check-In Garage 14
7:15AM (ish) – Drivers Meeting (Mandatory for All Drivers All Three Days – Roll Call)
8:00AM – 8:30AM – Blue (Advanced)
8:30AM – 9:00AM – Green (Intermediate)
9:00AM – 9:30AM – Yellow (Intermediate)
9:30AM – 10:00AM – Red (Novice)
oup 3
10:00AM – 10:30AM – Blue
10:30AM – 11:00AM – Green
11:00AM – 11:30AM – Yellow
11:30AM – 12:00PM – Red
12:00PM – 1:00PM LUNCH
1:00PM – 1:30PM – Blue
Group 3
1:30PM – 2:00PM – Green
2:00PM – 2:30PM – Yellow
2:30PM – 3:00PM – Red
Group 3
3:00PM – 3:30PM – Blue
3:30PM – 4:00PM – Green
4:00PM – 4:30PM – Yellow
Group 3
4:30PM – 5:00PM – Red
(Track Day Ends at 5:00PM) Schedule Subject to Change
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

So after running the Champcar race this weekend, I at least have something to compare to..

'84 Porsche 944 Champcar spec,

Club course, 1:49 (race)
Pro course, 1:47 (practice, no 3rd gear during race)

I think race leaders were in lower 1:40s.

On another front, U-haul called me this weekend to tell me there might not be an auto-transport trailer available in Chesterland on that day. I might have to go to Willoughby or Painesville to pick one up.. they will call me on Thursday to give me an update.

-Dave
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

if you get in a pinch I know where there is a trailer.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Well, the track day is complete, although it didn't quite go the way I wanted.

I ended up in the Intermediate Group instead of the Advanced Group. This actually was a huge blessing. Even in intermediate, I was probably one of the slowest cars out there. I gave a ton of point-bys, and never got one/needed one myself. The engine was plagued by a constant/random misfiring that kept me a little down on power. I dont think it's anything major, just bad luck that it manifested *today*. Also, the brakes just didn't inspire any real confidence. Coming down the back straight, I had to *stand* on them to get the car slowed down. Granted, I was hitting 120+ (130 on one lap!), but I was really worried I was gonna end up in the sand trap. Keep in mind, I've replaced the master, front calipers/pads (with Carbotech pads) and new fluid-- I was never comfortable keeping it out for an entire 30 minute session. I was also getting a little bit oil out of the driver's side valve cover. While there's a breather in the cover, there is no baffle there. (foreshadowing)

Even before going out the for 3rd of 4 sessions, I had said it would probably be my last. I pulled into the pit halfway through, and even took a cool-down drive to the main gate and back. When I parked the car, I saw a little smoke under the hood as I was pulling the release. Then I saw some flames. OH SHIT!! Quick action on Fred's part got the fire extinguisher from the Trackbird, and one small blast and it was out. But not gonna lie, that scared the crap out of me. Nothing major was damaged, and Andy noted the paint on the hood wasn't even damaged, but it did singe a couple plug wires, the hose for the power brakes, and the throttle/cruise cables. I was able to get the car back on the trailer (and unload at home) without any issues, though. But this is *exactly* why I rented a trailer for this event.

On the plus side, it does handle pretty well. Lots of grip, it went through the corners very predictably.

And just to add a little salt into the wound, on the trip home, the F-150's check engine light came on. I even put good gas in it for this trip!!

-Dave
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

20210918_070717.jpg
20210918_071152.jpg
Team U-haul getting unloaded
Attachments
20210918_114034.jpg
20210918_114750.jpg
20210918_114749.jpg
20210918_115554.jpg
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

My day started badly, when they told us that "No Riders" in the TrackBird's Novice class.
My day was saved when 'smoke said I could ride with him! Huge thanks to 'Smoke! (Pretty dam fast.)
TrackBird ready
TrackBird ready
BP's last stint
BP's last stint
After all the work and preparation, the 'Bird got home with no issues, this day was Great fun!
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I was definitely looking forward to this track day and trying my hand somewhere besides Nelson Ledges. This is really an amazing track, especially for a track day, high speed driving scenario, but I'm sure racing on it would be a WHOLE different experience. It took me all four sessions to really start to feel comfortable, and I got noticeably quicker with each session. There's a lot going on with elevation, off camber, blind hills, etc, but it was so much fun. I found that I'm faster with someone in front of me that's just a little faster. I let a C8 pass me, then realized I was faster than him (and his apparent skill level) everywhere but down the straights. I could see my lap times get better chasing him down.
This same scenario happened when I let a Caterham 7 pass me in traffic, and spent the next three laps catching him before he left our session early. That was too bad as I would have liked to try to pass him back. He was also faster in a straight line than me.

Without the old oil leak, I was much happier with the TrackBird this outing. I really beat the shit out of it, and it came home without issue. We'll give it an oil change, a good cleaning, and another once over to make sure everything is actually in tact. It helped that we remembered to put a diaper on the power steering cap as it overheated like always. It was worst on the first session, and slowly got down to almost nothing by session four.

On a more technical course, this car is more fun since it's really a low HP car. We will definitely try to do Mid-Ohio again, maybe next year. I also want to do a track day at Pitt Race also.

I didn't take any pictures since Andy was there in Photog mode and was able to drive all over the place to take some really good shots with his phone.

I was also really happy with the way the Ranger performed hauling the TrackBird for Team U-Haul. Over the course of a full tank (92octane), I was able to be at 17.9mpg as indicated. This tank included hauling a new cargo trailer from Newbury to Painesville, hauling the empty U-haul from Painesville to Chardon, and hauling the TrackBird and a bedful of gear 240 miles at 70mph. I aired up the rear tires to 45psi and the fronts to 42psi just before this trip, and it really firmed it up (normally they're at 36psi). It never worked hard. It doesn't ride or handle like the Canyon, but it definitely works well when pushed to do truck stuff. So far I'm totally satisfied with it since I use it very often as a TRUCK.

Did I mention it was fun just hanging out at the race track with old and new friends? The only drawback was the super early departure time, but it didn't really bother me until today...

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Here's what the picture guy came up with:

Trackbird:

https://www.berchakmedia.com/2021-Motor ... ce-Car-27/

Corvette:

https://www.berchakmedia.com/2021-Motor ... en-Car-21/

I have my favorites.

-BP