1996 Collector Edition Corvette

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

wxo

Re: 1996 Collector Edition Corvette

Post by wxo »

I did order a new injector from Holley to replace #6. This is how it arrived a few days ago via the USPS.
IMG_8194.JPG
IMG_8189.JPG
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I ship a lot of stuff and IMO that's the packager's fault and not USPS. Even if a 40 lb box dropped on it, it never should have ended up looking like that if it was wrapped up correctly. This car just won't let anything go easily for you.

-BP
wxo

Post by wxo »

I agree with you, BP, up to a point. This injector was damaged to the point of smashing the plastic connector and actually taking nicks out of the steel body. It had to have been run over by something very heavy. I'm doubt the sender can pack to protect against that. Furthermore, Holley seems to be overwhelmed at this point in time. I reported this 5 days ago and haven't heard from them.
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Good thing you aren't relying on getting these parts to be able to get to work or go on a trip. That's way too long.

-BP
wxo

Post by wxo »

It actually occurred to me to take a small Dremel saw and cut away the damaged plastic connector parts and take a donor part from an old injector, superglue it on and see if I can get it to work.
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Are all 8 of the old injectors bad ?
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
wxo

Post by wxo »

I'm not sure, yet, about the status of the OEM injectors. I started with four of them and soaked them in Berryman's. After that, I was able to get two of the four to click. They probably need a bit more cleaning and some rudimentary flow testing. There's a chance that some of them might still be usable.

Furthermore, I've still not given up on the #6 injector that produced the one black spark plug. I found enough debris coming out of the fuel rail that there's a reasonable chance that there is just some fine stuff still in it. I will get back to it as time permits. Since discovering the torn diaphragm on the Holley pressure regulator and the the resulting dumping of fuel through the vacuum port, I believe that to be the major source of fuel in my crankcase. I also believe the dirt present in the fuel rail at the same time also contributed to the incident. I'm looking forward to the engine running better than ever when I finally get it back in action.
wxo

"Nothing is ever easy"

Post by wxo »

To quote the 'Smoker, "Nothing is ever easy".
My new Aeromotive adjustable fuel pressure regulator arrived yesterday. It is the one I chose to replace the Holley with the ruptured diaphragm.
It, like the Holley, is advertised to mount to the fuel pressure rail on the Vette. Well, it has the right fittings to connect into the rail, but nothing to hold it in place. The supplied attachment bracket has no resemblance to what is needed to secure the regulator in place. I need to make my own bracket. Does it ever end?
IMG_8198.JPG
UPDATE: 12/13 I called Aeromotive tech support and he put the blame on Amazon for the wrong bracket, but agreed to ship me the correct one.
Update: 12/15 Correct bracket arrived via UPS
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Maybe not end but it will slow down enough to let you drive and enjoy it. You'll know the Vette from bumper to bumper. 8)
Maverick
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Stock replacement regulator might be the easiest way out.
-BP[/quote]
wxo

Post by wxo »

I hardly ever take the easiest way out. I really like the ability to adjust the fuel pressure. It's going to be interesting to see how it runs at the stock pressure now that the throttle body is clean and then how it reacts to more.
wxo

Post by wxo »

I took another opportunity to look for the lost washer. Maverick gave me a video camera and I stuck it down the suspect injector hole in the intake. To my surprise it was wet with gasoline when I pulled it out. I got out my MitiVac and sucked about a third of a cup of gas out. I'm still struggling with perspectives from the injector hole, and trying to understand where that gas was puddling. Anyway, I'll figure it out when I take the intake off.
wxo

It once was lost, but now it's found!

Post by wxo »

I got back to work on my pride & joy today and found the lost washer. It was sitting next to the valve on #8 cylinder head intake floor. It was poised to go into the combustion chamber the next time the valve opens. This is the the place where I sucked out 1/3 cup of gas a couple of weeks ago.
IMG_3918.JPG
Today, with my MitiVAc, I removed pools of gas from several other cylinders. Another potential opportunity for hydro-lock while trying to start the engine?
IMG_3923.JPG
This doesn't look like a factory sealing job on the front of the intake.
IMG_3917.JPG
No surprises underneath the intake.
IMG_3928.JPG
wxo

EGR or no EGR?

Post by wxo »

I'm on the fence about the EGR plumbing that is always in my way when I'm trying to fix something on this car. I'm tempted to rip it out, but I don't want to regret it later when I decide to sell it. Comments/votes?
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

You can always buy another set of headers with the EGR setup to put back on the car when you sell it (or send them with the car), or buy them now, cut them, and leave the originals intact. I don't know what the header look like on an LT1 but on mine we had to weld the holes shut.
-BP[/quote]