1996 Collector Edition Corvette

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

wxo

Re: 1996 Collector Edition Corvette

Post by wxo »

Today's update is marred by the arrival of the third iteration of the Delphi fuel pump hanger assembly. It, too, has the same rust pattern as the other two. Too much time and effort has been wasted on this issue. I'm going to use some rust remover on the filler neck then coat it with, probably, POR15.

I started removing the plugs on the even side of the engine. My hands and wrists are bloody, but I got all four out and broke the insulator off only one of them. The plugs likely are original and I don't see any evidence of anything bad going on in the engine. I was also able to spray some PB Blaster into the cylinders in anticipation of the startup (someday). The plug wires should probably be changed, but I'm going to leave that for sometime down the road.
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Before you do the other side take a look at whether it would be easier to access them if you remove the center part of the inner fender.

On mine it got a lot easier when I removed the A/C and the EGR tubes. I know that not in the cards for you but explains my lack of expertise in this area
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
wxo

Post by wxo »

I appreciate the tip, Andy. I hadn't noticed that the center section was removable. It looks like only four bolts. I'll give it a closer look on my next work session.
wxo

Post by wxo »

Mostmint's tip about removing the center panel of the inner fender was a good one. I was able to access the front two plugs. I only broke off the porcelain on one of them. Only two more to go.

Good news on the fuel pump hanger. Maverick gave me some POR15 and a couple of brushes to attack the rust. The brushes did a good job and I used some Brake Kleen to flush out any debris and blew it dry with air. The POR15 went on without a hitch and it should be good to go.
I measured the fuel sender resistance and it was 4 ohms empty and 94 ohms full. The specs call of 0 ohms empty and 90 ohms full. Close enough, I expect. In addition, I attached the hanger connector to the one near the gas tank and turned on the ignition. The fuel gauge works as it should. Wooo Hoooo!

I got my front rotors back and they look great! They only took .020" off each rotor leaving .050 for another resurfacing if I need it. Today was a good day.
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Progress is awesome. I love this project!

-BP
wxo

Re: 1996 LT-4 info

Post by wxo »

The LT4 engine featured a number of enhancements over its LT1 counterpart.

To start, the LT4 received newly designed aluminum heads that featured taller ports and bigger valves; 2.00-inch intakes and 1.55 inch exhaust. Each of these valves had hollow stems that were specially designed to save weight.

They each received special oval-wire springs that could handle increased lift without binding. To help increase the LT4’s valve lift, Chevrolet employed the Crane Company to provide higher ratio (1.6:1) roller rocker arms.

Revised lift specs called for 0.476 inch on the intakes and 0.479 inch on the exhaust. In addition, Cam duration was increase from 200 degrees to 203 degrees on the intake side and 207 degrees to 210 degrees on the exhaust side.

Other improvements that were developed solely for use on the LT4 included a freer-flowing intake (which featured taller ports to match the heads), a roller-type timing chain, and a compression increase to 10.8:1, which was a noted increase over the 10.4:1 compression found on the LT1.

Additionally, the LT4’s crankshaft, camshaft, water-pump, drive gear, and main bearing gaskets were all improved upon to bolster horsepower, while premium head gaskets were installed to deal with the extra compression. While the LT4 shared distinct components with the LT1 – such as a newly designed throttle body, the LT4’s 330 horsepower was a marked improvement of 30 horsepower over the LT1.
wxo

Post by wxo »

Today was an up and down day.
I started by removing the remaining two spark plugs and spraying the the last four cylinders with PB Blaster.

Then I decided to reassemble the fuel lines from the fuel filter forward. They snake forward and upward and stop at the fuel rail. All was going well until I noticed that, If I was to complete all the connections and fasten the brackets, there would be no way to install the new plugs. Furthermore, my plan was to install the new plugs until later, at engine startup time. After some reflection and a talk with Maverick, I decided to go ahead and spin the motor now to get the oil circulated throughout the engine. When I first turned the key, nothing happened. Then I remembered my old stick shift days where you had to hold in the clutch to crank the engine. With the plugs out, it spun freely and eventually generated about 15 psi of oil pressure. I was feeling really good about this milestone.

Next, I decided to start installing the new plugs starting with the toughest one, right rear #8. The AC housing leaves very little room to get a hand down in there to get the thread started. As luck would have it, I held the plug by just my fingertips with my arm wedged down as far as it would go and I dropped it. Using a lighted flexible grabber, I was able to just barely see it. So I started down after it and just touched it and it fell in deeper. I spend the next 30 minutes looking, but could not get a glimpse of it or even feel it. I have decided that it must be in the area above the starter. Tomorrow, I plan to remove the starter and hopefully retrieve the plug. Maybe with the starter out, I can install those rear two plugs from the bottom.
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Buy another spark plug. :mrgreen:

I'm guessing the delay in oil pressure was because the new filter was getting filled. Nice that you spun the engine with no compression till you got pressure.
Maverick
wxo

Post by wxo »

[quote="Maverick"]Buy another spark plug. :mrgreen:

I guess I could just hook up the battery and watch for sparks and fire. :mrgreen:
wxo

Post by wxo »

Today's work was tough. I started by installing the other 7 spark plugs while considering my plan for retrieving the one I dropped. The first obstacle I faced was removing the starter. One of the two bolts was buried behind the catalytic converter with no room to get a socket and extension on it. I tried various wrenches from the sides, but nothing would work. Finally, I ended up using a small bar to wedge a dent in the converter shield to allow access with a socket. Once past that, the starter was out. Turns out it is a remanufactured unit. My guess about the location of the plug was correct:
IMG_3637.JPG
I worked on getting the #8 plug thread started for over an hour. I removed as much interference as I could to give me more room for my hand down in that very cramped space. I tried various lengths of rubber fuel line on the end of the plug to help me get it started between my finger tips. That plug must have hit the floor about five times and each time I had to reset the gap. In the end it was perseverance in trying various angles of attack before I finally felt the threads begin to grip. Hallelujah!

With all the plugs in and connected, I went back to the fuel lines. Another struggle. Long story, short, with patience and perseverance, I managed to overcome again. Now the newly cleaned fuel lines are connected from tank to engine.

Next, I cleaned up the starter and installed it to finish the day. Slowly, but surely, I'm moving forward. :D
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

No wonder the plugs are original!! The challenges aren't what you want but give a greater sense of accomplishment when you overcome them. At least, that's how it's been with all my projects. e.g., rust on the Maverick and tuning the Lincoln.

You're getting close!! I'm eager for a ride.
Maverick
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Still have a clutch slave cylinder project as well correct?
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
wxo

Post by wxo »

Yes. I have the clutch master and slave cylinders in stock and waiting. Gotta have it before I can get on the road.
wxo

Post by wxo »

I took an easy day today. Mostmint's question prompted me to investigate what it will take to restore the hydraulic clutch. The first thing I learned is that the clutch master cylinder is empty. The second thing Iearned is that this mini project is not going to be trivial. Either way, it's on the list of things to do.

In preparation for installing the new fuel pump hanger assembly, I cleaned off the rust around the tank opening and applied POR15.
IMG_3639.JPG
Then, I will give the tank another cleaning before buttoning it up with the fuel pump hanger assembly. I need to work on cleaning and assembling the fuel rail next.
wxo

Post by wxo »

Today was fuel rail day. Each of the injector bores on both rails had a bathtub ring of deposits that were left untouched by any and all solvents I tested on them, even Evapo-Rust. Finally, I pulled out my dental hygienist's scaler and found that it was able to remove a lot of the built-up deposit. Then I used my dremel tool with buffing compound to remove the remainder and shine up the bores.
IMG_3642.JPG
IMG_3643.JPG
It was tedious and time consuming, but I'm happy with the results. I assembled the parts with the old injectors because I plan to run some clean fuel through the whole system exiting through the return line to flush out any remaining loose debris that might still be in there. Maybe tomorrow.
IMG_3647.JPG
Here's the rail in it's temporary hookup for the flushing.
IMG_3648.JPG