1996 Collector Edition Corvette

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

wxo

Re: 1996 Collector Edition Corvette

Post by wxo »

Since the LT4 is running like it should, I'm branching out to other things that need my attention. The back window fell out last Spring when I was on my way to the tuner guy and fixing it has been a priority. But, since the car was not running, it didn't matter. Now I want to go out and enjoy the warm Fall weather so I started the job of re-installing the glass rear window of the convertible top. I plan to do the job in two stages because I only bought 6 clamps. When the adhesive cures tomorrow, I will work on the bottom of the glass.
IMG_2043.JPG
IMG_2044.JPG
Once that is complete, I need to work on the HVAC controls. Most of the buttons are non-functional and I would like some heat when the temperatures go down.
wxo

Post by wxo »

103,611 miles
Two things. The convertible back window reattachment came out quite well. It looks like a solid installation and should keep the water out. I believe it's the original 25 year old roof and this will keep it going for a few more years. I still have a few details to finish, but I'm pleased with it so far.
The HVAC controls may not be defective as I originally thought. I think I just don't understand how they work. Probable user error. I need to get the owner manual out and read it carefully. It doesn't seem to be as intuitive as I thought.
wxo

Post by wxo »

103.626 miles
I have finished reattaching all the edge bindings on the roof where the stitching had come apart. My first thought was to stitch them myself, but after I used the 3M Window Weld urethane to reattach the back window and I saw how strong the bond was, I decided to try it instead. So far I'm pleased with the results, but time will tell. In the mean time, the roof badly needs a cleaning. I'm waiting for a reasonably warm day to get that done.
004s.jpg
001s.jpg
003s.jpg
wxo

Post by wxo »

103.708 miles
Silvia is treating me well these days. I used Meguiars convertible top cleaner and it did an outstanding job of bringing the top back to like-new appearance. Rinsing it off using a heavy stream of water proved that the top now can keep me relatively dry in the rain. I saw only a couple of drops of water inside, so my rejuvenation job was very successful. I've been racking up some fun miles driving around Raleigh and I've been lowering the fuel pressure a little at a time to see how low I can go and still have good drivability. So far so good at 48psi. I recently discovered that the hesitation/bog is not consistent, though. Sometimes it will rear it's ugly head under various conditions. I plan to keep driving it to learn through experience what she likes best. I learned today that the rev limiter is set at 6400 rpm and that it significantly lowers gas mileage. :mrgreen:
004.JPG
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

If it was mileage you were looking for you might have picked the wrong car lol. Glad to hear it is on the road with some frequency and performing
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
wxo

Post by wxo »

???? Miles
The digital display went blank again, so I don't know the actual miles on the odometer. I guess it's time to increase the priority of this item on the todo list. I backed Silvia out of the garage yesterday to apply protectant to the rag top. What a huge transformation!! The top looks great now. That's when I noticed a pool of oil on the garage floor. I didn't taste it like Derek does on Vice Grip Garage, but I smelled it and it has the smell of 90W gear oil. The rear mufflers and undercarriage are dripping with it. Stay tuned while I get her up on jack stands to see what's going on under there. Too bad I don't have a friend like Smoker in the neighborhood.
wxo

Post by wxo »

While I haven't crawled under the car yet to identify the source of the diff leak, I have started the research to familiarize myself with the area. I stumbled upon this diagram which I found fascinating.
1984_corvette_rear_view.jpg
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

That is pretty cool. Not sure why they found it necessary to put a human outline in there though. Bummer about your leaky rear. Hopefully it's something ridiculously simple.

-BP
wxo

Post by wxo »

I put Silvia up on jack stands and took a look underneath. Evidence points to a pinion seal leak. Both axle seals are dry.
IMG_2090.JPG
IMG_2089.JPG
IMG_2088.JPG
IMG_2086.JPG
It will be very tight working up in there. The service manual states a torque of 200 lbs-feet for the pinion nut. I'm not sure how in the world I'm going to manage that. I only weigh 165 pounds!
wxo

Post by wxo »

This thread from Corvette Forum provides just about all I need to get my arms around this pinion seal job (if you are curious and want to read it):https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4 ... n-nut.html
wxo

Post by wxo »

We had a near 50° day here in Raleigh yesterday so Maverick came over to check out Silvia's rear end leakage. :mrgreen:
Jim under Silvia.JPG
He agrees that the pinion seal needs to be replaced. I guess it could be a lot worse.
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

You may want to check the tolerance for free play in the pinion and then measure yours to confirm this is just an old seal wearing out and not an old bearing wearing out causing a seal to fail.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
wxo

Post by wxo »

Yep. That occurred to me. Pinion seals don't usually fail like this. That was Maverick's thought, too. Have you ever checked this tolerance? Is it just an up and down push/pull to see if movement is detected?
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

OR you could buy a rebuilt unit with a more acceleration friendly gear ratio and just swap it in. :D

-BP
wxo

Post by wxo »

She should have a 3.45:1 which is just perfect for me in the acceleration department. :mrgreen: