2018 GMC Terrain

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

GMJohnny

Re: 2018 GMC Terrain

Post by GMJohnny »

Blue_69_malibu wrote:"Average speed is up as is the average mileage."

-The Cossick Mantra :D
Win / Win!!

GM
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

We went to the track yesterday on the final day of TRP’s racing year. Race temps in the mid forties
to low 50’s as the day went on. I was excited that they held the track open one more week, as
they had called it a season just the week before. I was really wanting to test out my modifications
and see if my seat-of-the-pants meter was working. I knew the mods helped, but needed the numbers
to prove it. My previous best was 15.14 @ 92 MPH bone stock in 60 degree temps. I took it upon myself
to do some good race-ready prep this time. I took out any loose item in the interior including the spare,
jack, floor mats, owner’s manual, golf tee, nickel, etc….. We sat for about an hour before the first pass,
so the engine was cooled. Track conditions don’t matter as I start in AWD mode. I ran a 14.65 @ XXX MPH
with a 2.24 60’ time. I was pretty pumped about that and thought that another pass or two would push
it into the 14.50’s. The temperature was working against me, and my second pass was a carbon copy of the
first, but this time the MPH showed on the slip - 95.03 MPH. This was my last pass of the year. Summarizing,
my new down-pipe, K&N filter, air box modification and track prep offered a huge improvement. I also
learned that taking the traction control away allows the stall converter to jump from 2000 RPM to 2500.
This is big as my 60’ times are .4 seconds better than last time. So my efforts gained me .49 and 3 mph
in the quarter. This is a good start. Before I run again, I’ll be looking to improve the flow of exhaust by
putting a less restrictive resonator on. I have to read up on the effects of the $400 / 40 HP program as
that could be what gets me in the low 14’s.

GM
Attachments
At the line
At the line
Excess Weight - 1
Excess Weight - 1
Excess Weight - 2
Excess Weight - 2
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

23,398.. Yesterday, I did a routine oil change to the Terrain. There were no surprises except for the fact that the mighty 2.0 in an AWD Terrain holds 6 quarts as opposed to the standard 5 quarts in the other Terrain’s. Fortunately, I had a quart loose in my cabinet to add to the 5 quart jug I purchased. I used an AC Delco filter and Mobile 1. While I was doing my routine maintenance, I added new wipers as the factory ones were getting a bit smeary. Once again, my average speed and MPG are up, although my winter fuel consumption seems to be a couple of MPG less than summer. I will say that I’m impressed with this SUV in deep snow. I’ve had several instances this winter where I could hear snow brushing against the bottom of the vehicle and I drove right through. I’m convinced that I’ll always have an AWD daily driver vehicle from here on.

GM
Attachments
E08F8302-21E1-4140-9742-FF77A79D95C6.jpeg
91F33487-71D0-4105-B2FD-1C0B06BF4170.jpeg
GMJohnny

Summmer tire install

Post by GMJohnny »

26381… Yesterday, I decided that I’m done with snow for the year and I took off the snow
tires. It took less than a half hour and there were no surprises. The brakes & rotors are in
good shape, and I removed and installed the little torx headed bolt that holds the rotor to
to hub on all four wheels. The TPMS programming took less than a minute. The snows look
good, so I’m thinking I can get at least another two seasons out of them. I can’t wait to
drive my summer tires today! ( It’s snowing outside as I write this.)

GM
GMJohnny

Routine oil change

Post by GMJohnny »

30416… I did a routine oil change today. Full synthetic, 6 quarts and a Fram oil filter. Average MPG and speed continue to go up, no surprise with the highway miles this vehicle sees with me behind the wheel.

GM
Attachments
Avg. MPG 28.5
Avg. MPG 28.5
Avg. MPH 41.9
Avg. MPH 41.9
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

37461… Routine oil change completed. Nothing major to report. Once again, mileage per gallon and average speed have gone up. A long road trip to New Jersey and Carlisle a few weeks ago bumped both of those. The Terrain still continues to be a great daily driver.

GM
Attachments
356E26FC-B11B-46D7-8944-EFAB0A61C152.jpeg
FB168CFB-0069-4F08-9946-2A8CDD0F4889.jpeg
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

40483…. Summer tires off/ snow tires on. There’s no threat of snow this week, but it was a nice, dry and sunny day, so
The snows were popped on. Brakes look to be at least 85% all the way around. TPMS sensors programmed. Ready for snow.

GM
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

44,289 … Yesterday there was a bit of a break in the weather, so I took advantage of it to get my winter oil change in. At 45* and dry, it was nice to not have to use a heater or lay in a drippy, salty, wet mess. There was nothing abnormal to report. At my 2 year anniversary with this vehicle, I can say that I’m very pleased with its performance.

GM
Attachments
B19C6CB4-A6C5-42C5-AF9A-A931B92ACC4F.jpeg
08DD9F4C-8C3E-4D78-BEBF-4FDF41124150.jpeg
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

47,090 … With no snow in the immediate forecast and a sunny and 50 degree Saturday morning staring me in the face, I swapped on my summer tires and put the snows on the rack. I think I have one more season left in the before it’ll be time to decide on getting a new set or not. For now, summer tires are back on.

GM
GMJohnny

Remote fob battery replacement

Post by GMJohnny »

49,502… I went to take the Terrain to work this morning and was greeted with a message on the dash telling me that the vehicle couldn’t detect the remote fob. It was in the center console. Hmmmm… I tried the cycle three times with the same result, so I hit the door locks buttons on the fob and the locks functioned. I tried the starter again and this time the car started. Just to be safe, I shut it off and started it again and it performed correctly. After work it started no problem in the parking lot. I read up on the issue and it seems that a remote battery failure will cause this issue. A new CR2032 battery was installed tonight.

GM
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

51,493…. I have a bit of a vacation starting tomorrow, so I
Kicked it off by doing a routine oil change. Mobil 1 and filter. Nothing crazy to report. I did use the air hose to blow out a bunch of small sand-like pebbles out of the engine compartment. Driving on roads that are perpetually under construction leaves this under the hood. My mileage per gallon average and average speed continue to go up.

GM
Attachments
Average MPG
Average MPG
Average speed
Average speed
GMJohnny

Transmission Fluid Change

Post by GMJohnny »

54,123…. The manual calls for a routine trans fluid change every 70,000 miles.
I had mine changed yesterday. With all the shifting this thing does with its 9 speed,
I figured I’d treat it to a fluid change early. I also had the battery checked, and
it tested good. It should be noted that the fluid change took 5 quarts and the filter
is internal and can’t be changed without removing the trans.

GM
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

58,655 … another routine oil change done. This time around I treated myself to new windshield wipers on both front and rear. The rear blade was the original one that came with the car. It was more of a smearer than a wiper, so I invested in a new one.

GM
Attachments
Avg. speed
Avg. speed
Avg. MPG
Avg. MPG
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

59,976 … With the threat of a winter storm coming in the next couple of days, I decided to make the move back to the snow tires. Summer tires off, winter tires on. TPMS set correctly and all was good on the road trip test. It should also be noted that I had the car undercoated two weeks back. I’m not someone who wants to be driving a car with 200,000 miles on it, so I doubt I’ll be driving this vehicle in 7 years, but I felt that it was a worthwhile investment of $300 to try to preserve the underside of the vehicle. With all of the freeway driving I do, this poor vehicle is in salt and brine continually, so, based on the recommendation by my mechanic buddy, I went for it. Time will tell if it was a waste of money or not. In the meantime, it can snow if it wants to, I’m ready.

GM
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

65,689 …. I took advantage of sunny and 63* degree temps and did an oil change on the Terrain. PF64 Delco oil filter and 6 qts. Dexos 5w-30. Soon I’ll remove the snows, maybe a week or two.

GM
Attachments
IMG_7056.jpeg
IMG_7055.jpeg
IMG_7054.jpeg