1990 Corvette Z51

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

TireSmoker
Site Admin

Re: 1990 Corvette Z51

Post by TireSmoker »

Well, progress moves slow, but it has been made. I moved the Z51 into the lift bay after all the snow melted. I noticed the front brake reservoir was very low, so I filled it up a bit. Once moved and sitting for a few days, i found a little puddle of brake fluid by the RF, master cylinder low/empty again. The caliper is leaking. Maybe damaged in the crash. The brakes were suspect before the crash, though.

I had already ordered a new master cylinder. Tonight I ordered a couple front brake calipers from Summit, but they're saying estimated ship date is Jan 12th. Previous owner installed stainless-braided flex hoses. Along with the CarboTech free swag brake pads, I should have a Vette that stops very capably.

I unpacked the headlight assemblies that came with the new front end. They are easy enough to put in, although I need to find some of the hardware. I've got some of the torn wiring figured out, some yet to go. I seem to be missing some sort of lamp harness for the RH corner lamp.

-Dave
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

So I *finally* got both brake calipers. The driver's side arrived in mid-January from Summit. The passenger side, the one I actually need, got put on another delay till sometime in Feb. I cancelled the order, and ordered one from Eckler's. I installed the master cylinder a couple weeks back, which gave me occasion to buy some new line wrenches, as I didnt have metric. I put the passenger side together first and everything went easy.

I get to the driver's side and -- wah wah wah --the Summit caliper is wrong. My car has the J55 performance brakes, and I know I *ordered* a J55 caliper, but I apparently didn't get one. Thank goodness this is happening in the off season. I'm just gonna order another caliper from Eckler's and be done. Technically don't *need* this side, but might as well.

I'm excited to see how much improvement there is going to be.

-Dave
Attachments
20210128_220450.jpg
20210128_205524.jpg
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

don't forget to check and see if you can adjust that rod from the brake booster that goes into the master cylinder
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Well, after ordering the proper J55 caliper for the driver's side from Eckler's, I got all the brakes put back together, bled the master cylinder, bled the front, and flushed the old fluid out of the rear calipers and lines. Driver's rear caliper bleeder was a little difficult, but eventually came loose. I should replace that bleeder.

Pedal feels rock solid now, better than ever. No pedal screw adjustment needed, IMO. With the weather, I haven't road tested it, but I feel confident they will work well.

I'm missing one light bulb socket for the RF corner light, and I need the car-side connector for the power that feeds the under-hood lights. And hardware to hold the headlights in. I contacted Garry, who painted the Chevelle, he is going come on Sunday to check out the door/quarter damage and let me know when he can fix that.

There's a late March autocross on the calendar @ Dragway 42 I'd like to attend.

-Dave
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

I finally got the 90Vette back on the road today! I got the headlights mounted, but only one of them is working, and only half opens at that, but the rest of the front end looks normal. The hood releases ok so far, but I'm still waiting to get it into the shop to get the side fixed up. it's totally drivable, though. Only hold back now is the battery-- it's deader than a doornail, wont hold a charge. I'll be running up to Napa or Autozone to get a new one.

I took it to Chardon and back, and the brakes still seem to be less than what they should. I pulled the master cylinder off to try and make that adjustment Andy mentioned, but it doesn't seem to want to turn easily and make an adjustment. This was just a quick attempt in the middle of the afternoon, but it will require more investigation/effort.

But boy did it feel good to drive it!! The power delivery difference between this and my Mustang are soooo different. There's just a lot torque *right now*. You can also sense how much lighter this is. My half-hour jaunt gave some much needed payback for time spent on this thing the past year. Looking forward to the next autocross and/or trackday.

-Dave
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

20210506_222318.jpg
Got the battery installed. Looking mostly respectable again.

-Dave
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Yeah buddy, it's whole again! And if you cared, a lot of that door striping would come off with rubbing compound by hand IMO. The hood fits amazingly well.

-BP
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Garry texted me nice and early at 8am this morning to tell me my car was done and that he'd be there most of the day. Gwen was still in bed, so I just hopped in the truck. It looks great! Probably better than when I first got it, honestly. Up close, there's still a lot of flaws on the hood, but its good enough for now.

I do have headlight motor issues to resolve yet, I still gotta buy the little trim piece behind the door, but it looks pretty simple to put in. And I need to check that brake pushrod again. But it was great to drive it home with the roof off!

-Dave
Attachments
20210531_103705.jpg
20210531_104047.jpg
20210531_100112.jpg
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Looking sweet! Nothing like a red C4!
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Hey Thanks again to Paul and Fred for helping me get the front end changed over in the first place. That was huge for me.

-Dave
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

No problemo. Look at it now! Just in time for summer.

-BP
wxo

Post by wxo »

When you get tired of it, I think I'd like to buy it from you. :mrgreen:

No, wait, I only have a two-car garage.

Maybe Maverick will let me keep it over at his house after he sells the Lincoln. 8)
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

I think you need another 2 car garage. :mrgreen:
Maverick
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Maverick wrote:I think you need another 2 car garage. :mrgreen:
I mean, really, who doesnt?? :-)

-Dave
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Well I dug into the master cylinder / brake pedal issue again tonight and made noticeable changes in pedal feel. I was able to get the jam nut loose this time and extended the rod. It felt better in the garage, but by the time I got back from a very short test drive, they were dragging badly. I made a large adjustment, so I brought it back a bit. I haven't made a 2nd test drive yet.

I also gotta figure out the headlights. Left side motor doesnt work at all, Right side is wonky and something still needs adjustment with the hood because there is an interference with the headlight opening while the hood is closed. Both lights actually work, which is good.

-Dave
Attachments
20210622_220032.jpg