13 Charger Mostmint # 40

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

MostMint

Re: 13 Charger Mostmint # 40

Post by MostMint »

On Monday went to p a p and got a cigarette lighter plug, the plastic nut for the spare and the nuts to hold the rear seat back and seat belts - spent $4.18!

Used the cig lighter plug to finish the wiring and then install all the console parts except the lid.

On Tuesday I removed the rear door interior panels, reattached the front speaker wires to the radio (police run their radios through front speakers), and removed an air duct control motor that was failing. Now I have it I have the part I can get a replacement.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Lots has happened.

Air duct motor installed and put glove box back in
Installed replacement A pillar interior trim
Finished up the rear doors installing handles, cable, window switch button, manual door lock rods
Recovered the center console lid
Fixed the "service keyless entry" issue by reconnecting the antenna in the trunk
Installed the Flowmaster exhaust

Car is going in for passenger side airbag recall on 4/15.

I was unable to get the service history from the dealer (it was not in their system or at least my rep could not get to it)

I would like to get service history before I go crazy replacing things. Does anyone have a Carfax subscription they wouldn't mind looking up my car?
Attachments
IMG_3704.JPG
IMG_3695.JPG
IMG_3693.JPG
IMG_3690.JPG
IMG_3687.JPG
IMG_3685.JPG
IMG_3679.JPG
IMG_3678.JPG
IMG_3677.JPG
-BP[/quote]
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

The biggest question is: How does it sound?? You kind of blew threw the only really cool part in that list of stuff like it was nothing...

-BP
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

It is definitely louder, sounds really good at WOT, and is reasonably quiet at idle and cruising speeds.

In ECO mode just before the transition to 8-cylinder mode there is considerable vibration and the sound there is not that great. At idle at traffic lights it sounds like a truck.

I don't like the front band clamps (maybe 4" long but thin) and I think there may be a slight leak. I bought some different clamps (maybe 3/4" wide like the OE clamps) and will install them first chance.
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Today I made some adjustments to the exhaust. I did replace the front band clamps, but also slid the whole cat back system forward about 1/2". Also noticed the pipes were rubbing on one of the support braces. I loosened several of the band clamps and jacked up the exhaust then retightened. For insurance I put a couple washers between the brace and car to lower it.

Still have one band clamp that is not clamping well the nut is bound up. Going to get a few spares then try to fix that, but the vibrations are gone its a much better ride now. It's only a little bit louder than the stock setup - at least from the inside.
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Updates:
Obtained a digital copy of the owners manual
Obtained the Carfax report. Car spent almost a years from sale date til it started service, then put on 110k in about 2 1/2 years, then the remaining 2 3/4 years did the next 18k miles
Replaced last two balky band clamps and refine exhaust install
Took the car to the dealer for a passenger side airbag recall
Acquired transmission pan, fluid and filter. Pan was rusted to paper thin and was not saveable
Replaced inner tie rod end on passenger side it was quite loose
Inspection uncovered the plugs are NGK iridium and they look good, plenty of brake pad, no apparent loose wheel bearings, air filter looks brand new, serpentine belt looks new and heavy duty
Remove police seat cover on driver seat, reattach the keyless remote antenna in the trunk, clean a few scuffs off the paint with rubbing compound
The Charger has hydro electric steering and the reservoir is in the RF wheel well behind the inner fender. Today I changed the fluid to address a problem with low speed left turns: https://youtu.be/QbxVpkm8j8U
Sad this six year old pan is rusted out
Sad this six year old pan is rusted out
Had to remove the crossmember after I stripped the threads on one of the 6 trans pan bolts
Had to remove the crossmember after I stripped the threads on one of the 6 trans pan bolts
removed some of the extra tabs from the crossmember for ease of access and weight reduction
removed some of the extra tabs from the crossmember for ease of access and weight reduction
the top inside the trunk
the top inside the trunk
installed interior trim on top inside the trunk
installed interior trim on top inside the trunk
power steering unit
power steering unit
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

On 6/7 I signed this car over to Rachel. I still have a pair of struts to install in the front but it is her car now! She has put over 5000 miles on it she started driving it on Easter Sunday
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

A few weeks back the water pump let go on her way to Columbus from Toledo. She was almost there so with some phone support from me she nursed it to her destination. Got it fixed at a Firestone store near her. It was expensive it the best alternative that did not require me going there.

I located some rims for winter tires she picked up while in Columbus and snow tires are going on today.

Last weekend the car was over to fix a rattle and replace struts. I incorrectly assumed the rattle was from exhaust - spent a lot of time trying to improve the install, but failed. Car is coming back this weekend to try again.

Car has 143k and counting.
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

As it turns out, my efforts to raise the center of the exhaust failed and all the rattles were due to the pipe hitting one support brace under the car. I had already put some washers in to lower it but that was not enough. I resolved this by bending the center of the bracket down to give more clearance. It is not any lower than the other low points under the car so it should be good.

On the LR, last weekend I discovered the exhaust frame (looks like exhaust tip but is attached to the bumper not the exhaust) was rubbing the exhaust pipe, due to some damage to one of its mooring positions. I ended up using a stainless steel zip tie to put it in place, and that appears to be holding just fine, so will leave as is for now.
Attachments
75613C70-64DC-4831-95FB-E4C11764AA9B.jpeg
C324BADF-711E-4C10-AAB6-A507C80E03EF.jpeg
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

struts are now installed. Not too bad of a job - nice that no camber adjustments needed.

freeway test drive uncovered a rattle in the back so my zip tie fix was not good. Only letting off the throttle at highway speeds would cause it. So I made a little bracket to firm up the plastic bracket on the back of the bumper that was cracked.

Also, I still smell radiator fluid when the car is shut off hot. Nothing on the ground, fluid level not dropping noticeably. I tried hosing down the engine compartment since it emptied the cooling system through the failed water pump all over everything. I'm wondering if the radiator cap might need replaced - smell is strongest in that vicinity. Seems it should last longer than 6 years but who knows about Chrysler OE suppliers.
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Charger got snow tires installed last weekend.
IMG_4416.JPG
Before that it went to the road course at Nelson Ledges for two track days. Air was cold but it was dry.

During the 11/2 event we got a lap timer in the car. Rachel ran 1:24.9 with a top speed of 111 mph. I believe this is Rachel's personal best. I ran 1:22 and change with a top speed of 119 mph. This car is fast in straight line! It behaved well in the corners but the physics of 225 wide tires and 4300 lbs of car limit lap times. Brakes were fantastic.

From the first track day:
9P0A9036.jpg
While I'm uploading pics, this one tells the story of the front struts I replaced:
IMG_4385.JPG
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

This car is now pulling to the left while braking.

I immediately suspected the RF caliper. Bled it - no change. Replaced it along with mounting bracket and all hardware - no change.

Under light braking you don't notice. Under heavy braking it seems to stop almost straight. Under moderate braking it has definite pull to the left. It did not have this when she got the car in April, and I don't recall this during the track day earlier this month.

My thoughts right now are as follows:

brake hose
pads not having even grip due to wear, mfg defect
tires (switched over to brand new snow tires after the track day)
alignment
worn suspension parts
rear brakes uneven - thanks Tiresmoker for this idea

Any other thoughts on this subject?
-BP[/quote]
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Leaking caliper(s) got brake fluid on the pad(s)? Front or rear?
Maverick
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I'm going with a LR brake caliper hanging up to some degree. Just have her touch each wheel after normal driving. If it's one hanging up, you'll find it quickly.

-BP
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Also Rachel has noticed a lifter tick in the car. These Hemis have a problem with bad lifters wrecking the camshaft. In a nutshell the needle bearings on the roller lifters fail. I'm wondering if this tick is a precursor.

This video explains and and shows some examples: https://youtu.be/inPUz3pCHa0
-BP[/quote]