1999 F-250 #54

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Basement Paul

1999 F-250 #54

Post by Basement Paul »

Since we started working on this truck today, it seems time for a new project post. I didn't take any great pictures of the truck itself yet though. It seems that it's been sitting more than it's been driving, but a 1999 with only 62k miles on it will have spent most of it's life doing nothing.

32V and I brought the truck home from his next door neighbors on Friday evening, and promptly removed the ladder rack because with it on there, it wouldn't fit in his garage. Plus, I planned to sell it right away anyway so it took some pics with it on before removal.

Then today after breakfast, we began the repairing. It had a stuck RF caliper so we replaced both front calipers and pads, but the rotors looked nice. One of the hood struts got replaced so the hood wouldn't keep falling on our heads. It got a synthetic oil change and a grease job for the front suspension and a bunch of WD40 on anything that swung open or turned. The other thing accomplished was the replacement of the HVAC blower resistor to get the fan working on all settings.

Last night I posted the ladder rack on FB and CL and by about noon today, it was sold and gone. $150 back in the right direction.

After our test drive with the new brakes, I noticed a pretty pronounced miss while driving and idling. After talking with Kevin and Paul Carson, it seems these 5.4's have common problems keeping coils working. It's coil on plug, and Paul recommended just buying a new set of Accel coils (about $170) and the problem will be cured. I'm also going to have him do the plugs and coils next weekend. I also am planning a new set of tires and a new tonneau cover in the next couple weeks. After that, just small things and a good detail job. The body is really solid on this thing.

Sadly all I have is pictures of the rack for now, and the pics 32V took in the neighbors yard.

-BP
Attachments
Rack3.jpg
Rack4.jpg
MostMint

Re: 1999 F-250 #54

Post by MostMint »

Kurt recently fixed his friend's Ford 500 it had a bad coil pack. It was a cheap aftermarket part and we confirmed it was the problem using the heat gun on the header. The coils are cheap - he did replace it with a Motorcraft I think.

Also, you might venture to put new plugs in there they could very well be the originals.

Brake hoses are 20 years old you might consider replacing them as well.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I first thought the miss was the plugs, but the discussions I had told me one of the coils was the problem. Since I'm having Paul do the plugs, we decided to replace all the coils to save on labor and future problems. I bought an Accel coil pack kit with all eight in it this morning from Summit, double platinum plugs, and a new tonneau cover to be shipped this week sometime. With Summit's beat a price deal, I saved over $60 too.

Hopefully by the end of next weekend I should be good to go with this thing, and under budget.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

The tires from Newbury Tire got installed on Friday. I also received the used K&N ( yeah k&n ) air filter from eBay on Friday. It was nasty when I got it but it only cost $20 including shipping. With about 10min in the sink and my air filter cleaning kit, it cleaned up very well. After drying overnight, I reoiled it and it looks like new.
I'm still waiting on the plugs and coils to get finished. I'm imagining sometime this week.
IMG_20181124_150557175.jpg
IMG_20181125_122650850.jpg
-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

With the new coils and all seven spark plugs installed, this thing is smooth. Apparently there was some piece of spring loaded plastic wedged between the hex on the rearmost passenger's side spark plug and there was no getting it out. But apparently the plugs that came out were in real nice shape so I should be good for well past the time I have it. I also just installed the K&N after my trip today.
I've since hauled over 2500 lbs and on day two over 1100 lbs to the scrap yard with no issues and today I drove it about 120 miles with no issues. Except for no cruise control or armrest, it's very comfortable to drive that distance. It is a work truck though... I've also learned that 1/8 tank means there's still over 7 gallons left, so I can run it to E without too many worries. It apparently has a 36 gallon tank which I love.

It's still has very minor things that need attention, but heck, I haven't even had time or good enough weather to wash it. All in due time.

-BP
Attachments
Tailgate 12-8-18.jpg
RF2 12-8-18.jpg
LEFT 12-8-18.jpg
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Looks a lot better after a good scrubbing wash. Was a little tough as some of the body kept freezing over as I washed, but worth it.

-BP
Attachments
IMG_20181209_164018684_HDR.jpg
IMG_20181209_163940679_HDR.jpg
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Looking good! That might have been the first time it's been washed in a long time.

I'm liking those "Clearance Lights".
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
AKROVER

Post by AKROVER »

Clearance lights, LOL. My 2000 F250 was a special order 4X4 regular cab. The only options I specified were the V-10, manual transmission, limited slip (4.30, if I remember right), and clearance lights. It had those same steel wheels and painted bumpers. It was just a truck, a tough one, but those clearance lights were my indulgence in styling. And then I got it home and found out that I had to make sure the garage door was propped up or else the ironically named clearance lights would hit on the way in.
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I know mine is limited in options also. I think the automatic trans and clearance lights were it (I did get the sticker with the truck). I wish it had the limited slip, it should be standard in a truck like this, especially being 2wd. Getting in the garage won't be an issue, the 2wd trucks are noticeably lower in the front than the 4x4 and do ride better too. I do find it really relaxing to drive for no apparent reason. I would like a solution for an armrest though. In winter my jacket works OK, but I might want to find something by summer.

-BP
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

If you don't find what you want near home, LKQ You Pull It in Durham has several '99-03 F250s. Let us know if you see a door panel or two that would work for you and that you want. I saw both manual and power window door panels in standard cabs. We haven't been in a JY recently.

https://www.lkqpickyourpart.com/locatio ... 2/recents/
Maverick
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Thanks for the offer for sure. I'll keep it in mind once things settle down around here and really decide what else the truck needs.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Today's work session was focused in the bed. With Xmas coming early for me, 32V and Mrs 32V got me a new tailgate cover, cables, and pivot bushings. All were in pretty bad shape. So after completely dismantling the tailgate, we got all these parts installed without any major issues. Now the gate closes smoothly and tightly without any jimmying or screwing around and looks a ton better than the half broken cover that was on there. I don't mind my work truck being a work truck, but I'm not a fan of looking hillybilly while doing it.
Then we took mostmint's advice and used some ratchet straps to the frame under the cab, ran them up along the front edge of the bed, and criss-crossed them back to the tie down hooks on the back of the bed. What we were doing was pulling the bed away from the cab of the truck as someone must have driven around a LOT with stuff in the bed, and let it ram into the front of the bed enough to where the bed was actually bent and touching the cab and making squeaking / cracking noises when the frame would flex. Once the straps were in place, I just bounced up and down on them a bunch of times until we were satisfied. Fred wishes we had pictures of that.
The bedliner was very unfriendly when it came to trying to use ratchet straps. The holes to access the bed tie down hooks were way too small so we cut the openings in the back to a much more user friendly size and the front holes had these covers that made them hard to access but were bolted UNDER the hooks themselves. This created a small hurdle when I broke one of the bolts removing it. Nothing a we couldn't fix with a couple drill bits and a new bolt.
Then we installed the new tonneau cover. 8' covers are LONG and it took a few tries to line it up as well as possible. Since the front of the bed and the tailgate aren't the straightest, we won't be getting a watertight seal, but it's still pretty good looks nice.
Then I put Rain-X on all the windows and mirrors, and put new wiper blades on too.

Lots of little problems solved, but there are more for another Saturday morning.

-BP
Attachments
new tonneau 12-15-18.jpg
open hooks 12-15-18.jpg
cables 12-15-18.jpg
bed front 12-15-18.jpg
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Last weekend the F-250 got a new 3" turbo muffler to replace the factory original muffler that was rotting from the inside out. The truck actually has more power and a little more sound to it also. It's a BIG truck muffler (sorry no picture yet) so the noise isn't too bad. Still not a hot rod, and I'm OK with it. The tailpipes were still good, no not a major job for Paul Carson...

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Posting live from Carlisle. I bought a hitch for the F250 for $50.

-BP
Attachments
15562185042612080086217.jpg
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

From the wagon to the truck, the hitch is installed. Fred had all the hardware but the flatwashers, so we made a quick trip to the hardware store in Burton and remedied that problem. I did have to slightly open up one hole on the driver's side so the hitch would sit flat.

-BP
Attachments
Hitch1 5-4-19.jpg
Hitch2 5-4-19.jpg
hitch3 5-4-19.jpg