1966 OLDS 442

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

GMJohnny

Re: 1966 OLDS 442

Post by GMJohnny »

59457 ... I changed the oil and lubed all the grease points on 4/11/20. A little over 2000 miles on the
oil since last change. It looked normal in the drain pan, nothing new to report. There was also plenty
of grease in all the tie rods/ball joints, some only requiring a half pump before I heard the sound of
grease moving out under pressure. This was done so I could have a fresh oil change before hitting TRP yesterday.
I was pretty nervous that the car might not finish the quarter with the 3.90 gears in it after driving
in a bit on the street, but time came to test it out. The track had suffered three days of rain and cold
weather prior to yesterday. It’s really hard on the staff when that happens. Photo cells were failing and
the track prep took some time. These factors, coupled with it being the first test and tune of the year
( decent amount of racers on hand ) made for a long day in the low 40’s temps. We only got to put down
3 passes before we all left. I would’ve stayed longer for more if the flow of cars was faster, but we all
felt it was time to go when we did. My first pass was a 13.65, 60’ 2.19 @ 104.53. I was kind of ok with
that since I spun like crazy at the line. My second pass I modified my launch technique and had a 2.21
60’ time. I blew the 2-3 shift so I idled across the line. My final pass I finally got a launch that I felt
pretty good. I put down my best of 13.42, 60’ 2.00 @ 104.19. It was a best by .05. My speed was up
all day by a MPH or two, which I feel may have been attributed to a slight tailwind.
What I learned from the whole experiment with the 3.90’s. 1) The car is DONE at the stripe with
the 3.90’s. 5500 right at the traps. Ideal for drag racing. 2) Wheel hop is gone. I can hammer on it as
much as I like and I might spin both wheels, but my work paid off and I don’t have to listen to the banging
of a hopping axle anymore. 3) Driving at 60 mph with the 3.90’s is NOT fun without overdrive and I’ll
soon be switching out to the 3.23 for this summer’s drivability. 4) Not sure if the investment in a 5 speed
is really worth the work and dollars for the minimal gains I got from the 3.90. I’ll continue to ponder the
swap and research it a bit more, but I really thought that I’d be in the 13.1’s or 2’s with that gear set up.
I have time to think on it, that would be a “next year” project if anything.

GM
Last edited by GMJohnny on Sun May 23, 2021 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

59,655 ... Put your rear end in, take your rear end out... Rear axle Hokey Pokey for the 442.
After the last day at the strip, I made the decision to go back to the 3.23 axle, at least for the
summer. I put some miles on the 3.90 axle and I loved how quickly it went through the gears,
but I couldn’t handle the lack of cruise-ability. The 3.23’s are way more streetable. Yesterday,
I spent the two hours to make the switch. No surprises. The rear end doctor did his job the correct
way. I put over 30 miles on the car this weekend. No clunks, banging and it’s smooth around the
corners with no posi chatter. Not sure what the next project will be, but I’m on the road and
ready to roll this summer.

GM
GMJohnny

Valve Cover Change

Post by GMJohnny »

59700.....On Memorial Day I had some spare time to install some chrome valve covers on the 442. I found a set of center hole valve covers on the cheap on EBay and went for it. I’m normally the “chrome don’t get you home” type of guy, but these are a nice clean look and the painted ones that were on the car were looking a bit rougher than I wanted. I got the covers, gaskets and bolts all for under $100. Before install, I permatexted the rubber gasket to the covers so the complete install took about 40 minutes. I was very pleased to see how clean the inside of the motor is. It looks like it was just assembled in there. Anyone who has taken a valve cover off of an Olds knows it can be pretty nasty in there, but I’m in the clear as it’s beautiful in there. I also discovered an adjustable valve train kit that I wasn’t expecting to see. I’ve test driven my work for over 200 miles and I’m not leaking a drop. GM
Attachments
442F9046-0D90-4EF7-AABB-1654CFE76FEB.jpeg
8501EAF4-00AE-4FDB-957D-59C92C50B2D0.jpeg
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

As I read the text I got all excited to see the new chrome valve covers,
clearly they are not chrome, they must be clear, since I can clearly see the rocker arms.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

Straight out of the 1966 issue of Hot Rod magazine.

GM
Attachments
2DA884EC-6784-4C34-AE60-82CEB2A30AFE.jpeg
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Very nice, awesome improvement!
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

60000... On my ride home from golf the other night, I was making sure that all six barrels
were still functioning properly. When I went to make the 2-3 shift, I couldn’t. The car was
stuck in 2nd gear. Fortunately, I was within two miles from home and I was able to gimp
it to the barn. I checked out the deal today. The rod linkage was bound up. I freed it up
by hand. I’m going to replace the nylon bushings that are there. They’re not horrible, but
the kit is cheap and they aren’t that hard to get to. I also decided it was time to replace
my ignition switch. The switch worked fine, but the nut that holds it to the dash was unable
to thread firmly enough to it to hold it tight to the dashboard. It would twist when the key
was turned. I had a spare switch in the parts inventory on the shelf. The only cost was a
sore back and stiff neck. After the work was completed, I enjoyed 40 mile ride on an 80
degree afternoon ride with all the windows down.

GM
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

60254… We’ve had some internet issues at the house, so this post is a bit late. Last Saturday I had the opportunity to install the Hurst Pit Pack. I opted for steel bushings over the nylon style that was already in the car. After changing one I knew this was going to be a good upgrade. Who knows how old the nylon bushings were, but there was plenty of slop between the bushings and the shifter rods. The new steel bushings eliminated that issue. The clips that are used are spring loaded and designed to pull the shift linkage in and keep them square to the arms on the side of the trans. My old ones weren’t very springy. It was very easy to see how the rod linkage got jammed up. Some of the rod ends were easier to access than others. A couple of them I couldn’t get the rod out without removing the arms on the trans. No big deal, I just went after them one by one and an hour and a half later, the job was done. I’ve put 75 miles on the car since the work and today I shifted under full power without issue. Back on the road with a nice, firmer shift feel.

GM
Clips - new on top, old on bottom
Clips - new on top, old on bottom
Spacers - old on left, new on right
Spacers - old on left, new on right
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

Sweet.
Matt Sutter
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

61,449… My intentions were to put the 442 away for the winter this past weekend when something
kind of came up suddenly. In an Oldsmobile forum I’m in, there was a gentleman looking for a stick shift
66-67 442 and I happened to have one. One thing lead to another and, after a couple of hours of correspondence,
the 442 was sold. It will be on its way to the Myrtle Beach area tomorrow. My buyer is excited to get the car
and I’m hoping he enjoys it as much as I did. I sent him my thread on Tiresmoke so he could see my work
and documentation, and I’m hoping he reaches out to the moderators to continue the thread as I would
like to see it in the future. In the meantime, the search will start for another Oldsmobile, or an older El Camino,
or a C-6 Vette, or… next!

GM
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Time for a 10 second 79 Cutlass :)
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

MostMint wrote:Time for a 10 second 79 Cutlass :)
I haven’t had time to really digest what I want. I’ll know it when I
see it… but a car in the 10’s most likely won’t be in the plans. Probably…

GM
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

If you get a 10 second Cutlass, that will end up costing me more money to make mine faster, so I don't recommend that option.

-BP
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

The 442 made it to its new home. I got a text at 8 am yesterday morning from the hauler stating that he’d be at my place around two to pick it up. After some communication, he was at my place at 1:30. We loaded up in the street and his intention was to make a few stops then deliver the car to its owner on Thursday. Sounds like plans changed somewhere along the way as the text came in the evening that the car was going to be at its destination at 11:30 pm…. I got the pic of it in its new crib at 12:30 last night. I plan on having a phone call to discuss any questions the buyer might have, but in the text he stated that he was very happy with the car, which is pretty important to me! This sale from day one to completion went flawlessly. Now to focus on a new project!

GM
Attachments
F8BA559E-8918-4E8A-9D19-0EFD082F17D6.jpeg
8DF65E83-F331-40F0-92C9-5BFCC2205409.jpeg
DC93B930-E98B-4B9F-A8D9-88328DFBDCEE.jpeg
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

holy cow, i dont login for a couple days and you sold your car! Looking forward to seeing what comes next.. big turbo Terrain??? :lol: :lol:

-Dave