Will the CHEAPNESS ever end?

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Racin'Jacin

Will the CHEAPNESS ever end?

Post by Racin'Jacin »

No time soon I'm afraid!

So I picked up this converter for the digger a while back. It's for a TH400 and I run a PG with Turbo splines so I figured I was A-OK - except! I forgot I run the SMALLER TH350 pattern on the flexplate and no room to go bigger - so some tweakin' is in order.

First step was to machine some plugs to fill the old holes. The new pattern will be VERY close to the old one and for whatever reason they never double drilled this one so they put them smack dab in the middle - so some pluggin' is in order.

I machined the plugs for a light/medium press fit:

Next step will be to weld the plugs in place. I chamfered both the plug and the holes so I could machine off the weld and still have it hold good.

I also noticed that the OD looks to be tad too large - I will cut that down last:

To be continued...
Racin'Jacin

Re: Will the CHEAPNESS ever end?

Post by Racin'Jacin »

Little welding

Racin'Jacin

Post by Racin'Jacin »

Little work on the mill:

Couple spins on the Superspacer:
(Yes it's supposed to be off center - leaves me room to add the bigger pattern if I ever need to)

Only thing left is to see if I need to adjust the OD or not.
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Would it have been possible to modify the flex plate to take the bigger bolt pattern?

-BP
Racin'Jacin

Post by Racin'Jacin »

No, I don't think so - the OD is kinda small - using the 130 tooth mopar starter ring. Woulda been easier to just punch new holes in that!

If you look at the pic - that's a spare flexplate - minus the gear - I can't remember which way it's offset - I know I had them change it for me - because apparently I have some "1 off configuration" - I don't really - they were just clueless (JW). I think the gear was "normally" offset to the rear, but mine is reversed and towards the front. My current converter has a smaller OD - so I have to make sure that will clear with the bigger one I have now - if not - I'll just whack the OD until it fits.